Where do you get your cages?

Feu

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Huginn - Black Headed Caique (male, hatched March 2011)
I'm moving across the country in June, and one of the changes we're making is getting a new cage for Huginn. He's currently in a 22x24 inch, and while I'd like to get him a little bigger cage (maybe 30 inches?), what really matters is getting one with a play top! We often have him sit out with us, but we never open the top of his cage because there are toys hanging from it and all he can do if he's decided to stay on his cage while he's out is sit and look out the window. I want him to have a more interactive environment!

So where do you get your cages? I'd like a bigger selection than what King's Cages offers, so I want to know what you've found! That goes for travel cages as well - usually Huginn just goes in his harness, but he'll be on a plane so I'm considering getting a pack for him from Celltei: Celltei Pak-o-Bird - the high quality light-weight carrier for your birds and parrots

Let me know what your favourite options are!

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
We loooooooove our pak-o-bird. I wish they weren't so expensive, though. They're very well made and Bunsen & Beaker love riding in it.

Have you thought about getting a manzanita tree stand? I've seen them a couple places. What we love about ours is the portability. The bird can sit next to you wherever you're at in your home.

-Joel

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Check out Amazon, they have some great cages for a pretty reasonable price:)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would look on amazon, they have nice cages there. And I strongly suggest a play top. Kiwi's cage opens at the top and he just loves sitting up there. Also a play stand would be nice, and may even be a better investment than a new cage, if his is still in good condition. It's nice for parrots to have 2 places to hang out that are all theirs to get messy and rip up:)

OP
Feu

Feu

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Thanks Jowel - just wondering, what size pak-o-bird do you have? The cage has to fit in a space of 24" length x 16" width x 10" height for the plane, and I'm wondering if I can turn the thing on its back so it'll fit and still have Huginn be comfortable. I don't want to buy him a cheap carrier because one of these will be perfect for hiking and other outdoor activities. Also, are there any side pockets or anything for treats or his harness?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanks Jowel - just wondering, what size pak-o-bird do you have? The cage has to fit in a space of 24" length x 16" width x 10" height for the plane, and I'm wondering if I can turn the thing on its back so it'll fit and still have Huginn be comfortable. I don't want to buy him a cheap carrier because one of these will be perfect for hiking and other outdoor activities. Also, are there any side pockets or anything for treats or his harness?

We just bought a pak-o-bird for Kiwi. Will your bird be coming in the cabin or going cargo? The regular pak-o-bird will NOT work in the cabin, unless you buy the special one for under the seat http://www.celltei.com/cumapaforaif.html, which will then not work as a backpack, and seems like a waste of money for a bird who will only fly once. Since they are soft-sided, I don't think an airline will allow them in cargo. I'm pretty sure carriers have to be ridged. Even if the airline doesn't require that, if your bird is going cargo, get a cheap hard carrier and just buy the backpack for later uses. God knows how much bouncing around the poor baby will do down there, you want him to be well protected. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice carrier for going out hiking and stuff, but not for air travel in the cargo hold of a plane.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
My Wife has the Pack o bird for the CAG and it's really well built.
Travelling by car though, I feel bad because you really can't interact with the bird at all. The screening is sort of dark and there's not a lot of room to see out..

For the other birds, we have two of these
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Perch-Clear-View-Carrier-Travel/dp/B002EO1OIW"]Amazon.com: Perch and Go Clear View Bird Carrier and Travel Cage: Pet Supplies[/ame]

The RBC rides in one and two Caiques can fit well in the other with a couple of smaller perches and small water/food bowls.

OP
Feu

Feu

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrots
We just bought a pak-o-bird for Kiwi. Will your bird be coming in the cabin or going cargo? The regular pak-o-bird will NOT work in the cabin, unless you buy the special one for under the seat Bird Airline Travel Carrier for birds and parrots, which will then not work as a backpack, and seems like a waste of money for a bird who will only fly once.

Huginn's definitely coming in the cabin with us. Are you sure the backpack version won't work? It fits the dimension requirements if the strap side is laid down, and he'd be able to stand straight in either direction. Otherwise, what carriers do you suggest? It has to be soft and it'll be a long trip (eight-ish hours not counting layovers).

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
We got the medium: 15" L x 10" W x 14" H. It fits 2 Caiques nicely during travel. For one Caique, I'm sure the small would be fine. It has no nifty pockets for treats. I'd love to have pockets for paper towels. We sure do use a lot of those when we travel with the birds.

Good luck figuring out the carry on situation. That's a hurdle we haven't crossed.

-Joel

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Did you check craigslist? I got a HUGE very high quality beautiful cage there for almost nothing ($65) - they usually sell for about $300. The guy had no idea what he was selling. :) And I only had to drive 3 mi for it. :) I had to clean it up a bit and sterilize, but it took me about 40 min only - our little green cheek was waiting in the carrier since we got him on the same crazy day. If I get another bird, craigslist would be the first place I'd be looking for a cage (but NOT for a bird!). :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I got most of mine on Ebay.

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
Wayfaire and hayneedle have decent prices. Often you get 10% codes and free shipping.

OP
Feu

Feu

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Just an update, I made flight arrangements today and called the airline about a cage for my parrot, and the representative said that as long as the carrier will fit within the required dimensions, it will be accepted - hard or soft, Pak-o-bird included. This is from Frontier Airlines, so other airlines may say otherwise. I'll be looking through all your suggestions, but I won't be buying a cage until we get closer to the time we move. Thanks for all your help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts