Where to find reliable parrot species information?

novembergypsy

Apr 20, 2015
Don't get me wrong--I'm absolutely soaking up the information here. Its really great, getting such insight from people who really care about and are knowledgeable about their featured companions. But, of course, I'm relying on the questions that others ask here.

I'm in the process of getting a new parrot or two. I have always loved birds. I had one lovebird for about 15 years who I lost last year (he was 18, spunky, affectionate, bossy and darling....and my father unfortunately set him out on the front porch in his cage without realizing he knew good and well how to open his door unless it was secured firmly. My heart is still broken over that. I miss him so much) I got George because his former owner was going to take him to a shelter. He'd been biting and abusive to another bird they had. While George did bite me a few times, it was when I'd done something stupid, and he was over all a joy, one of my best friends. So, I got George on an impluse, and didn't do much research til after I had him. It turned out great (after mistakes and trial and error.), but this time I intend to do things in the proper order.

I am thinking possibly about another lovebird, but part of me feels resistant to "replacing" my boy in that way. So I'm also considering a Caique, a green cheek Conure, a Quaker, a brown headed parrot, Meyers parrot, a cocktiel....and I'm not sure how to pick. There is a lot of online info, but online info being subject to everything from human error to opinion to downright untruths, I'm not sure what to trust.

Can you direct me to quality, trustworthy sources of information?

A little bit more about me: I rent half a house, the landlord had no problems with george. I have a six year old who is good and kind with animals (and learned the hard way years ago to leave birds alone when told to), I have no other pets currently but my pet rats. I work from 25 to 30 hours a week. I have volunteered at a private home "rescue" where I learned something about working with older, often abused or nelegected birds ( including an African gray, a blue fronted amazon and a moloccan cockatoo). I loved this experience, but the owner moved away and I didn t get the time I would have liked in that situation to feel like I'm ready to handle the bigger birds (a great part of what I did was just sit near the amazon and talk to her, or clean cages lol).I am hard of hearing, my daughter is generally pretty unbothered by noise ( she slept like a rock through the train we used to live by) and the other half of the house is unoccupied except for a couple weeks in the summer and we are in the country, so I'm not too worried about noise--and while talking is fun, it isn't a deal breaker for me if the bird I get doesn't do that. I do want affection, and playfulness, I'd love to work with my bird. I am a homebody and tend to stick to my schedule, so I'll be home a lot when not working.

So. Any thoughts? Any places I can trust to research and any advice on choosing? I'd also prefer to adopt an older bird rather than get a baby and not be sure of how he will develop, but I can't seem to find rescues near me. I live in the finger lakes of upstate new York....any advice there would be greatly appreciated too!!! Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am sorry to hear you lost your lovebird:( What kind of information are you looking for exactly? I personally find most "reputable" online sources to be so generic they are useless. They typically just cover the very basics, mostly general parrot care, something about hormones, with a few anecdotal species characteristics that vary by individual. IMO, you are far better off being on some avian forums and/or talking to owners of the species you're interested in. It's where the day in day out living with xyz species info is.If there is an avian rescue in your state (even if it's not close enough for you to adopt from), you may want to contact them and just ask about what common reasons the species your interested in get rehomed for. Let them know you are considering buying/adopting a bird and want to do your research. Most won't have any issues giving you some info because they genuinely care about birds. That will tell you a lot about if a certain species is generally loud or nippy or have a tendency to pluck ect... And if you have specific questions not being discussed, why not start a thread about it?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I would ask owners on here about the species your interested in. I remember researching species to death.The internet had me talked out of Amazons [ so glad I didn't pay attention]. One of my favorite birds :) My Hawkhead is nothing like the internet says . I have 22 bird love every one of them . Like to experience the different species. Out of the birds you mentioned ,I would check out the Caiques. I have 3 :) What I love about them - know how to play and entertain themselves , hearty eaters ,not a one person bird ,love my whole family ,can be very affectionate ,little devils ,fun fun fun :)

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I recommend a caique, of course, but I'm biased :)

Here are some reliable sources:

http://caiquesite.com/
Pet Birds, Parrots, Cockatiels, Macaws, Conures, Parakeets Care, Facts and Information at BirdChannel.com
Beauty Of Birds
Pet Parrots | A Complete Beginners Guide
All Pet Birds: Your Complete Guide to Fun Feathery Friends

If you just do some research on various species you'll be able to sift out the bad information by looking at what the general trends in websites are. Every bird is an individual, so as far as personality goes, every website will say something slightly different. There's a ton of information out there! Hopefully this will get you started...

I also totally agree that what you research isn't always what you get, and talking to people on forums is often better than reading generalizations. Talking to owners allows you to get an idea of day-to-day life with the species you're interested in.

Last edited:

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I had lovebirds, budgies, and cockatiels before getting my green cheek conure. She has been really fun! Super playful, cuddly, smart. At times bossy, needy, messy, and nippy. But she is absolutely a joy to have around and gets better and better with each passing day.

When I researched what kind of parrot to get, I was tossed up between a green cheek and caique. I decided that I would get whatever one came up available at the right time, and the next day I saw an add on the paper for hand raised green cheek babies :)

I love that my sweetie keeps herself entertained by playing when I'm not home, as I work 7 days a week (luckily it's only 9am to 330pm most of the time).

She's also really level headed and not flighty for a bird. Loud noises and new things don't scare her. I can show her new toys and she will immediately play with them without fear. She also really likes to go for visits to grandmas house :)

Whatever bird you choose, I'm sure you will love them to pieces.

OP
N

novembergypsy

Apr 20, 2015
I am sorry to hear you lost your lovebird:( What kind of information are you looking for exactly? I personally find most "reputable" online sources to be so generic they are useless. They typically just cover the very basics, mostly general parrot care, something about hormones, with a few anecdotal species characteristics that vary by individual. IMO, you are far better off being on some avian forums and/or talking to owners of the species you're interested in. It's where the day in day out living with xyz species info is.If there is an avian rescue in your state (even if it's not close enough for you to adopt from), you may want to contact them and just ask about what common reasons the species your interested in get rehomed for. Let them know you are considering buying/adopting a bird and want to do your research. Most won't have any issues giving you some info because they genuinely care about birds. That will tell you a lot about if a certain species is generally loud or nippy or have a tendency to pluck ect... And if you have specific questions not being discussed, why not start a thread about it?
Yes, that's what I mean. Stuff I'm finding online feels bland and rather lacking in the nitty gritty of what I need to know. For example, the personalities of a caique and a Conure sound almost identical which doesn't help me, since I'm smart enough to know there must be differences. The info about lovebirds sounds like a vague shadow of my George. I think over all i m just trying to decide how to narrow my choices down and find the best fit for our little family (and find a parrot or two who will be just as happy with us)..... Also its really hard!!! They are all so amazing sounding.

OP
N

novembergypsy

Apr 20, 2015
I recommend a caique, of course, but I'm biased :)

Here are some reliable sources:

http://caiquesite.com/
Pet Birds, Parrots, Cockatiels, Macaws, Conures, Parakeets Care, Facts and Information at BirdChannel.com
Beauty Of Birds
Pet Parrots | A Complete Beginners Guide
All Pet Birds: Your Complete Guide to Fun Feathery Friends

If you just do some research on various species you'll be able to sift out the bad information by looking at what the general trends in websites are. Every bird is an individual, so as far as personality goes, every website will say something slightly different. There's a ton of information out there! Hopefully this will get you started...

I also totally agree that what you research isn't always what you get, and talking to people on forums is often better than reading generalizations. Talking to owners allows you to get an idea of day-to-day life with the species you're interested in.

Thank you for the sites! And I will try to talk to owners. Caiques are definitely one of my top choices.

I think I'm just wanting to find the best fit and there are soooo many!!!!!! Argh!!!! And yay!!! Lol...help....:30:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yes, that's what I mean. Stuff I'm finding online feels bland and rather lacking in the nitty gritty of what I need to know. For example, the personalities of a caique and a Conure sound almost identical which doesn't help me, since I'm smart enough to know there must be differences. The info about lovebirds sounds like a vague shadow of my George. I think over all i m just trying to decide how to narrow my choices down and find the best fit for our little family (and find a parrot or two who will be just as happy with us)..... Also its really hard!!! They are all so amazing sounding.

I think, for the most part, parrots who are loved, fed right and cared for are happy, playful, active family members. Birds who are neglected have bad attitudes and behavioral issues. I think more you should try to focus on connecting with an individual and focus less on that individuals species. You'll KNOW the right bird when he/she comes along, and it may be a bird you never considered or the #1 choice on your list. There a lot to be said for love at first sight when it comes to our avian companions!

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Since I got Pippi when I was 13 I spent a good two years saving money for her, and during this time period I researched like crazy, and I flip-flopped between my favorite species for a while. Eventually I set my heart on caiques, but now that I have a couple years more experience, I agree with Kiwibird that the species really is not the most important aspect of a bird. It's good to know the stereotypes and details of your species, but any bird can be a good pet if it's well trained. Not to say I regret doing all the research, though...I feel like I have a wealth of information about a variety of species because of my research. Having the background knowledge based in facts about different species is really helpful with problem solving various issues that arise in parrot-keeping.

Caiques tend to be a bit more rambunctious than conures from what I've heard, although it depends on the species of conure. Caiques like to play really rough, rolling on their backs, climbing around, and generally being acrobatic. They can also be a little more mouthy at times, which is why pressure training is really important. Green-cheeks are also a little bit smaller than caiques. I really don't have experience with any of the species you mentioned except caiques, but from what I've heard I think caiques would be a little higher maintenance than the other species, which tend to be a bit calmer. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, though...

Most Reactions

Latest posts