Where to get a good harness or flight suit???

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I really want to be able to take Zilla outside with me this summer, but will need to get her used to a harness or flight suit before that time comes...

Which one would be best? Harness or flight suit?

Best place to order one? How to "measure" for the right size?

I hope she doesn't rip my fingers off for trying to put it on her...:p

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I think it is called the aviator harness that I heard was good quality and comes with an instructional DVD that is Sai to be very helpful.

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Amanda, I have found with Charlie when i tighten the aviator harness in the front as shown on the DVD it confused him and frustrated him as he assumed I wanted him to step up. Got bitten hard there a couple of times. Getting him to put his head through the right hole was easy coaching him with a treat though.

I found what worked for us was moving the "clasp" to his back and tightening it at the back removed a lot of frustration for both of us. Now he wears it like a pro with a lot less bites or frustration. I would absolutely recommended the harness though!

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Mango wears the aviator. Medium size. Hardest part is keeping him from biting the buckle. I have the flight line as well. Haven't used it yet.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yup yup yup....Aviator Harness for my Sam, too. (photo taken last spring)

SaminHarness005.jpg

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
I read that the aviator is the best, so I picked one up for Tazzy and ordered another for the macaw we're getting in a month. My problem is I have no idea how I'm going to get Taz in his, he still gets bitey when my fingers are on his body too much. He's too new to the house right now, still getting used to me. He'll step up without biting and allow a quick pet but that's all. I tried to pet down down the length of his back yesterday and he nailed me for getting too fresh with him ;)

I hope eventually I'll get to use it on him to take him outside without a cage.

BTW Wendy, Sam looks quite proud of himself in his aviator, like he's the man hehe. That's a happy excited bird :)

Last edited:
OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thanks guys! Sam is AWESOMELY HANDSOME!

Getting her into it might pose a risk, I'm hoping she retains her bite pressure training :54: But I'm willing to take the risk so she can be with me during the times I have to be outside in the warmer months!

Having her in a cage wouldn't work since my job involves walking the property and checking the work being done by various contractors. Lots of work being scheduled for the summer months!

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
What is the flight line exactly.The website was unclear well at least to me. I am going to be ordering a petite aviator harness this week or next. Just wondering what the flight line is.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
What is the flight line exactly.The website was unclear well at least to me. I am going to be ordering a petite aviator harness this week or next. Just wondering what the flight line is.

The flight line is a line staked into the ground so the bird can fly "laps" back and forth. The harness line goes into the flight line. It, and the details, will be in the enclosed DVD that comes with the harness. That can always be ordered later if you wish. I would master the harness before considering a flight line. A harness isn't for every bird. Some reject them vehemently even with all the training and acclimating. So try, and master the harness first. If successful, the you should consider a flight line if there are not a lot of avian predators in your area. A bird can easily be snatched off a flight line by a hawk or falcon, so consider your area as well.

Last edited:

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I wasnt really considering it as its 50 bucks but I was just curious.We have many hawks and owls around but we dont worry to much as all the trees help with keeping the hawks away during the day but owls are a whold diffrent story at night. We are building an aviary for Kalypso so I would use that for her to fly in. :)

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
I live in an apartment, I am the manager, so I can't build an outdoor aviary. I can only dream about having something like that for Zilla! I do want to be able to bring her outside with me on nice days though, since I spend so much time outside in the summer months.

I think I have found one that will fit her, now I just have to get her to let me put it on her!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Aviator harness on amazon.com! They have the best prices - I did a big search. :) I got mine (a small one) for $28, and yours might be just a bit more. :)

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
It is also 28 bucks on Foster and Smith but if you want a certain color your out of luck. They only carry red or black but it is a cheaper alternative than the Parrot University I think that is what it is called lol.

Most Reactions