where to start with training?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Congratulations on beginning your training saga with Joey. This will sound like a smart elect answer, but I mean it sincerely. First of all you have to let Joey learn that the clicker means "treat is coming". That is an absolute rule that cannot be broken. With my CAG, Tsali, I started the day after I brought him home at 3 months. Click/Treat Click/Treat Click/Treat. Parrots are brilliant, and you will be surprised at how quickly Joey will learn Click means treat. After you have conditioned him to know that as soon as you click he will get a treat, try clicking and watch closely to see if he reaches for his treat. That is when you know that he associates the Click/Treat deal. Never EVER be a deal breaker Click means Treat :D.

Next I would start with something very simple like touching a target stick (I use a chopstick) with his beak. I use the verbal command "Touch" - to begin with I would put the target right in front of his beak so that if he moved he touched it then immediately Click/Treat. In the beginning it is imperative that you make sure that Joey can be successful so that he will WANT to pay the training game. Always end a training session on a positive - stop and take a rest before Joey gets tired or loses interest. Several very short training sessions per day ending on a positive note will far outshine longer training sessions with even the slightest hint of frustration on either side.

Be sure that to continue with one task until Joey complies most of the time - clicking and treating after each repetition. Later, much later, in the training process you can treat randomly, but in the beginning, you cannot ever break the Click/Treat rule.

The more simple things Joey learns the easier it will be for him to learn more complex things. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

Hi Tsali,

These are very thorough training instructions and much appreciated.
But, if you are giving a treat as a positive reinforcement why do the clicker as well? Why do two sets when giving a treat serves the reward purpose? What am I missing?

Thanks.

The "Click" is a bridge to span the gap between the exact moment in time that the desired behavior occurs and the time that the reward is given. Especially in the beginning, it is important for the treat to come instantly and because it is almost impossible to hand out the treat that quickly the "click" tells the trainee - bird, dog, cat, horse, possum, husband, etc. that something good is coming their way. I don't use a clicker - I am way too clumsy, my "click" is saying "YEAH". Tsali has learned to also say YEAH when he does something good - and yes he gets a treat :rolleyes:. Must be a promise keeper.

YOU FOOL! you gave another weapon to keep us men in line!

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Hi Tsali,

These are very thorough training instructions and much appreciated.
But, if you are giving a treat as a positive reinforcement why do the clicker as well? Why do two sets when giving a treat serves the reward purpose? What am I missing?

Thanks.

The "Click" is a bridge to span the gap between the exact moment in time that the desired behavior occurs and the time that the reward is given. Especially in the beginning, it is important for the treat to come instantly and because it is almost impossible to hand out the treat that quickly the "click" tells the trainee - bird, dog, cat, horse, possum, husband, etc. that something good is coming their way. I don't use a clicker - I am way too clumsy, my "click" is saying "YEAH". Tsali has learned to also say YEAH when he does something good - and yes he gets a treat :rolleyes:. Must be a promise keeper.

YOU FOOL! you gave another weapon to keep us men in line!

Sweetheart, almost 100% of male training by females is for YOUR benefit, not ours. :22:

Most Reactions