Whew!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I had a less-than-lovely day today - I think I ate something that disagreed with me or something. Anyway, after spending far too much time outside in the dunny, I stumbled back to bed this morning, straight after feeding the birds and animals.

My son woke me at around 2pm saying 'Mum? Mum! Did you know you left lock off the Beaks' cage? The back door's wide open and I can't find them!'

O.M.G.

I jumped out of bed faster than I've ever done before and raced out to the kitchen. No Beaks! Just as I was about to swallow my tongue a little voice said earnestly from the computer room: 'Hello?'

My darling Barney was perched on my computer chair and had chomped a trail of destruction all the way along the bit where the back meets the upholstery. Madgie was hanging upside down on the wall fan and had turned the blinds cord into spaghetti. Since the Beaks are not normally allowed in the computer room, it could have been much worse, what with the spaghetti all around the place.

What am I saying? They could've been gone? (Heart attack!)

Soon, they'll be in their new, big cage which has a proper lock that Madgie couldn't possibly undo. Until then, I have to be extra vigilant! :eek:

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Whewwww. Close call. So glad they were just redecorating your computer room. The other possibility is just not one that I want to imagine. :(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yowser, Trish! What a wake up call that was! :11:

Glad everyone is well and accounted for.

Hope your tummy settles. I'm currently going through the identical crisis with the tummy, mine is due to overindulgence of some cabbage last night. :30:

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Oh gosh!!!! :eek:

Imagine being woken up to that!!!

So glad nothing happened to them, they obviously were taking full advantage of not being allowed in that room :eek:

Hopefully your wake up in the morning wont be as bad ;)

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
The thing is, I fed them and changed their water around 7am. Matt woke me at 2pm. Theoretically, they were flying around the house for all that time and chose not to fly out the wide open back door! Someone was looking after us, I think.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I had that happen to me once with Porter.

When we kept him in the bedroom; we'd leave his cage open because back then there was nothing about that room that hadn't been made bird safe.

So for a little while I was in the habit of not closing his cage... but due to circumstances we had to move him into the living room and now his cage is left shut when we leave.

Well the second day of this change I left the door open like an idiot, and he was loose about the house apparently for several hours until I got home.

When I got home it was dark... and low and behold NO PORTER.

I panicked... and went on a full scale bird hunt; as I noticed a trail of destruction leading to .. well nowhere.

It stopped halfway down the hall so I began an earnest hunt in the bedroom.

Two hours later? Still no Porter and as the guest bedroom had been left open and the window was open I assumed my baby was gone.

x.x

Then I hear a groggy sleepy *rrrrrrgh*

His usual shut up and let me sleep noise.

The little stinker had wedged himself on the shelf beside his sleep cage, apparently as close as he could get as the door was shut.

Aka- his routine was important and he put himself to bed.

Another instance with my keets... Daffy somehow got out of the cage and she has this odd little quirk.

She has learned how to crawl UNDER the doors.

So when I have to hunt for her.. she can literally be anywhere.

I'm honestly glad that you found your precious Beaks safe and sound..

I've found that in most instances... my birds at least tend to stay close to home.

heh.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
why do things always happen when we are not feeling well??, lol.
Trish, I'm glad everyone is safe, and only your computer room took a bit of a beating.
hope you feel better.

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
So glad everyone is safe and sound!! I suffer from frequent migraines. Typically my baby's room is safe. Well that one morning I staggered over got her fresh water, pellets ( it's all I could handle) and decided to put her under her sun lamp. She has a play top cage I came in her room around 2 2:30 mind you hubby is now home and sitting in computer room!!!! Mina is walking around her room! WHAT? Here she got out her door where the feeding dishes are. Thank goodness that she didn't get burnt on the light or try to munch on it or chew the cord. Endless possibilities. I could have KILLED my husband. Not sure if he is still forgiven for that one lol.

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Feeling lots better today, thanks everyone. I hope you're feeling better too, Wendy? Every time I walk through the back door, I get a lump in my throat thinking 'what if?' I've mentioned before, there's a pair of falcons that live only a block away and who hunt over my place all the time. Euuurrggh! Barney and Madge are so *green*!

Also, there's been a Butcher Bird checking out the Lovebirds. He even comes right into the ODLA (OutDoorLivingArea) and *looks* at them! Butcher Birds are related to our magpies and they're famous for killing caged birds with their long hook-tipped bills. Thank goodness the cats chuffed him off in a hurry. We're working on the new cage today, but it's still going to take some time. We removed the seed skirt (they never seem to work) and have riveted them to the opening under the removable grid. This makes me feel a lot more secure as that opening was well big enough for two houdinis to escape.

I'm having a slow day today. Gonna fire up the old sewing machine and quilt. :D

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I know how scary this is! A few days ago, my dog let herself in from outside, through the bird room by moving the screen door!!! Had no idea she could do that!!! The bird room had the screen slider open 2 feet wide and me frantically counting the birds!! 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.....are we missing any?? OMG!! No one missing!

I think our birds, who belong to all of us from this forum, know how good they have it, and would not escape even if they had the chance!!?? LOL

birdy_numnum

Jun 14, 2013
Media
Parrots
Alexandrine Parakeet
This is what i use for my cages you should try it,just a simple clip lock , you can get it from yr local hardwear store.

Last edited:
OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Unfortunately, that's exactly the kind of lock Madge has learned to undo. Now, I use a similar thing, but with a tight screw closure. I expect she'll learn to undo that one eventually, but for now it seems safe. I'm getting a proper padlock ASAP.

Most Reactions