Which are compatible?

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I have reached the stage where I am thinking of getting Sterretjie a friend. I dont want the responsibility of breeding because there really are way toooo many lost souls out there. For this reason I am shying away from getting a male Indian Ring Neck.

Sterretjie is also very possessive and aggressive, therefore I doubt that she will ever share her play space. She hates ALL other members in our house, she HATES my husband and she tries her best to bite my reptiles when they are with me. I wonder if she will have the same behavior towards another parrot? (She was ok with Mishka - but Mishka was not on me.)

I want her to have company during the day while I am at work. Different cages etc. It just breaks my heart to leave her alone everyday. But, when I get home I would like to take both out at the same time because my time is limited before the sun sets.

We are also in the process of buying a walk in flight cage for outside. The new parrot must be able to share it with her during sunny days. I cant let Sterretjie have the flight cage before the time because she will most probable claim it as her own. It will be best to introduce the cage to 'them'.

I usually end up choosing the most challenging but, what parrot can safely share a flight cage and me with her?

Or, is an IRN my only option?

If Sterretjie did not arrive at my house then I would have bought a macaw or maybe an Amazon. (I grew up with a B&G macaw - he was my first best friend.)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Very difficult to know what her reaction would be to another bird.
Too bad you cant rent one and see. Do you have bird sancturaries where you could foster a bird for a while and see what happens. I am thinking of doing this because so many need homes.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
My only idea is to look for wild insperation

What other types of parrots do you see in trees closest to flocks of ring necks

( forgive me if this is something you don't see now days I'm not very globaly aware )
I just know there are the irn and the african ring neck also
not sure if that includes south Africa lol

What type was it that eclipse had ( Hugo ) would they be compatable ?
Getting a bigger ( but not to big ) type parrot may help to put star in her place ( so to speak ). She may be less challenging towards them given their bigger size ( as you saw with mishka , although that could just be mishkas calm personality )

Whichever way I wish you luck

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Very difficult to know what her reaction would be to another bird.
Too bad you cant rent one and see. Do you have bird sancturaries where you could foster a bird for a while and see what happens. I am thinking of doing this because so many need homes.

Love your snow man Tannie! No we dont have sanctuaries, I've been trying to borrow for some time now and it isn't working out. If I could borrow then it would only be for a couple of weeks, what about the quarantine then?

Pheonix Rising, we dont have parrots in the Gauteng area where we mostly live so I wont be able to tell.

I suppose I'll have to stick to Ringnecks then. Its ok, I just dont like the breeding idea - it scares me.:rolleyes:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Unfortunately, you never reallly know who your bird is going to like. I would suggest that you go with something similar in size, such as a conure, IRN, or Alexandrine. Our girls get along pretty well but when they have their little sibling spats, it's always just that - a spat. Since they're so similar in size neither has a distinct advantage.

Now, poor little Max, is much smaller than either of them. They do co-exist when all 3 are out of their cages but he knows that he has to back down due to the size difference. I think he gets bullied sometimes, and he does stand up to them occassionally. We haven't had any drama yet, but we watch them closely.

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ja shame, I will never put my little girl with a big parrot. What I want and what I can do are worlds apart. :D

A conure or alexandrine sounds good, thanks, I will consider those. I actually saw a couple of Alexandrines over the weekend, they did not look good thou.

I just cant imagine putting her in a flight cage all by herself, it will be cruel.

What about another female IRN - will that cause fighting? Or maybe I should stop being scared of breeding.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'm very biased toward Alex's. Max is such a great little bird - grouchiness and all. He's very laid back and easy to deal with especially since he's started to enjoying being touched.

Since Alexandrines and IRNs are in the same parrot "family", I would think that'd they'd co-habitate okay.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Alexandrines and irns can breed together so unless it's a DNA female I would advise against it

That's how the made the yellow Alex and the even rarer blue Alex
by cross breeding with the irn colour mutations

It takes 7 or more generations to get a true yellow Alex but they are very pretty

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
i have read that the female IRN can be very agressive and can even kill a cage mate,
male or female. so a very large cage would be a must so there is room to escape any attacks.
i had a pair of IRNs for a few months and they got along great. but i learned from the IRN forum, that this is not always the case and females can be hard to find a cage mate she will tolerate.
you need to do some more research on this.
i am in the same boat with my female moustache parakeet. i feel she needs company but don't know where to start.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
If you want to, you could bring Sterrejie to visit other birds and see how she gets along with them.

As for gender, you can get a male if you want to, but make sure there's no dark enclosed spaces for Sterrejie to lay eggs in.

OP
wildheart

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
If you want to, you could bring Sterrejie to visit other birds and see how she gets along with them.

AP I've done that before in the beginning of this year.:D She was wonderful with all the birds but I realized that it meant nothing. It was easy for her to flirt etc. because it was not on her territory. It will be a complete different seen when she is at home - HER SPACE. Even the kitchen are becoming dangerous for my husband.

I needed some wise wisdom from somebody older than me and Tannie SharonC has put my guilt to rest.

I wont buy such a big aviary anymore, I will down scale to something that Sterretjie will be able to enjoy by herself.:D

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Wisdom from me??? That is so cool!
What is "tannie"...

I just looked up Tannie...Thank you!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts