Which bird is best???

tjwolf1

Mar 1, 2010
Parrots
Miligold macaw, cockatiel... Also co-exist with an African grey (husband's bird)
Background first: I have a miligold macaw, a CAG (completely prefers my husband but tolerates me to get closer to him "wanna go see daddy,) and a cockatiel. I am currently in the process of making an "activity area" but for now they play on playstands. My macaw loves me, but does not even tolerate my son or husband and wants zero to do with them. So, what I am looking for is something cuddly and intelligent that will also allow my son to interact with it. He is 7. The cockatiel also wants nothing to do with him, despite our best efforts.

I want to get a bird just after it is weaned so that I can control what it is exposed to. Although I would prefer something medium size (Hahns, lesser sulphur, African grey) I would also consider something larger or smaller. I was seriously thinking conure or Senegal, but don't have experience with either species, so am seeking advice. Priorities for the new bird will be: cuddly, friendly, would like some talking ability. Although I do work 40 hours a week, I am typically home otherwise, so time devotion is not necessarily a big concern.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sennie's have so much 'tude that I'd hesitate to recommend it for a child that young.

Conure would be a better choice, but again, needs to be socialized.

As your son gets older and understands how to handle/control them better, perhaps your big mac will allow handling then... as you well know, until and unless the person passes "the macaw test" the answer will always be "no." I'm also wondering if there isn't some component of an overbonding/pair bond issue with your big mac?

I'm surprised the tiel didn't accept handling. Usually they're pretty good with kids.

CAGs always get handled on their own terms.

OP
tjwolf1

tjwolf1

Mar 1, 2010
Parrots
Miligold macaw, cockatiel... Also co-exist with an African grey (husband's bird)
Thanks birdman. Yes, I think the mac does have some issues. Although lately she has been a raging hormonal cow even to me. We are working through it though.

I'm aware that I will have to devote some serious time to socializing and fully intend to do so. I would like to have one bird that is friendly to almost anybody.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've got two hormonal macs at the moment, but all I'm getting out of it is jealous bird issues, and clingy bird syndrome... "BUT I WANNA BE WITH YOU ALL THE TIME!"

I've had macs that started out that way with my daughter, but as she took control of the situation... (i.e. responded to lunging by controlling the beak, and ingnoring the bird when it wasn't being particularly friendly) they eventually went from keep your distance, to pick me up and play with me...

If you're not confident, and in control, a macs gonna pick up on it, and you're just SO NOT GONNA HANDLE ME! That really is "game on."

But at age 7, he's still a bit young.

OP
tjwolf1

tjwolf1

Mar 1, 2010
Parrots
Birdman, you seem very knowledgable about macs. I haven't ruled out getting another mac. Is it possible that it would bond with my other mac and want nothing to do with me? If I get a male, is there a good chance they would bond together??? I am not looking for a mate for her by any means and actually would rather avoid it.

Parrot1

Dec 5, 2015
Caique? They can bond with more than one person and are
Very hyper and playful & funny (they hop like rabbits and also wrestle!)

Their not as loud as Sun Conure. Conures are louder.
Also Conures tend too sometimes bond with one person only..

I have a African Grey and Grey's are awesome.. he's pretty quiet but will scream
For attention sometimes.. and he will let me pet him (he's a one person birdy and
Chose me :)

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Caique? They can bond with more than one person and are Very hyper and playful & funny (they hop like rabbits and also wrestle!)

Caiques can sometimes be very nippy with children. Depends on the bird on this one.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
IME, the Poicephalus family (Senegals and family) of which I have 2, one for 21 years and have known plenty more people over the years with Sennies and other Pois... are generally speaking, more of a challenge to socialize with multiple people. Also the attitude and surprisingly strong bite and tendency to use it more readily even when trained, makes them not recommended for children IMO.

I'd recommend looking into a FEMALE PIONUS. Depending on species of Pionus, they're about twice as big as a Senegal, and are quiet, independent, and females typically are gentle and more easy going than males and can be trained to go to multiple family members fairly easily. IMO, one with a typical personality is just about the easiest parrot out there. I lost a female, and have a male now.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If it were me, I'd take your son to something like a parrot rescue, and see if there's a bird that he clicks with, that also clicks with him... That's your key right there.

Most Reactions