which bird is right for me?

ghostsparrow

Dec 6, 2012
ATL, GA
I know I've posted something similar before, but I just want to make sure I get the right parrot for me, or if I should even GET a parrot.

I live in an apartment with two other people who both have said they won't mind some noise.
I don't mind some noise either, but I just don't want anything that is crazy loud.

I'm gone for a good portion of the day because I go to school, but I do have time later in the evening to spend with a bird. I could probably spend a couple hours (2ish) a day with them. I can spend more time on the weekends.

I'd prefer something bigger than a parakeet or a finch. I don't want a small, small bird, and I'd prefer some sort of parrot. I have been looking into Green Cheek Conures, but lately I've been fascinated by Indian Ringnecks.

I'd also like a bird that is cuddly/affectionate!

so, for the final run down:
a quieter bird
able to deal with being alone for a good amount of the day
bigger than a parakeet or finch
(I'd rather not get a cockatiel, i've had them before and I'd prefer something different)

bonus points if they are able to talk ;D

So, I know it sounds picky, but what are my options? is a green cheek still the best option for me?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
African red bellied parrot. just my opinion. I have heard that ringnecks can be quite loud from a woman who adores her bird and has had it for several years. Tiki my redbellied parrot is a poi she is quiet and makkes a lot of clicking noises and whistles and an occasional screach when the quaker tries to grab her tail feathers. She is in a flight cage and has lots of toys to play with. I also leave a radio or tv on all day.:)

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
i would say Green Cheeks they have a parrot personality withought all the noise and they are very cuddly they can learn some short words but its never very clear when they talk, Ringnecks are sweet but a bit more playful and LOUD but they can talk very well. and Eclectus are very big birds that hardly make noise but unfortunately when they do its super loud and they are hard to find but they do talk amazingly!

OP
ghostsparrow

ghostsparrow

Dec 6, 2012
ATL, GA
@MarciaLove, how loud exactly are ringnecks? I've also been reading that you should only get a ringneck if you are very experienced. I've only ever had cockatiels.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
they can be mischievous birds and picky eaters sometimes but they arent really that hard ive rescued some before. you can do a little research and if you come into any problems you can always get advice here. Also heres a video someone put up of them to give you an idea
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1eHkX8NMbI]Indian Ringneck Doisy talking - YouTube[/ame]
you can see there speaking ability on youtube too just look up, Indian Ringneck

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
hi ghost sparrow,
i see you are now interested in a ringneck. have u considered an alexandrine, ring nect larger cousin?
i have owned both, and at the same time at one point.
i dont know why it would be said to have experience to own these. when i rescued Kia, my first IRN the only experience i had had was budgies apart from the too i had as a baby.
although the alex is larger then the IRN, i found them not as loud/screechy as the IRN's. Another thing i found, although it may not be a typicalbthing and maybe more the personalities of the birds but my alex's have been more affectionate then my IRN's.
i have only ever owned IRN's and Alex's in the larger birds (disregarding my too, i was 1 when he was stolen so i didnt do anything but play with him), but my sister owned a GCC. i found her bird was very dependant when she was home and couldnt do anything with out the bird, where on the other hand my IRN's and Alex's have been happy to entertain them selves whilst i go about my daily duties and then when im ready happy to come play with me.

the descision is really upto you and the birds, go see some different species that interest you and get a feel for them. you never know you may come across a parrot that you hadnt even thought of.

Remember what you here about specific species are stereotypes, and just like humans each and every bird has its own personality.

Hope this is some kind of help to you and good luck in finding the bird that best suits you.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
My neighbours IRN is a pain. And they are two houses away. He SCREAMS at sun up, anytime someone is in the yard and any time another bird makes a sound. Its an ear piercing scream that is sure to have neighbours complaining. When we first moved here I thought I was going to go out of my mind over the noise.

Get a green cheek, they are adorable loving little birds. Mine have all learned to talk, but they talk quietly to themselves and whisper in your ear. :) But I wouldn't say they are fabulous talkers. They truly are the sweetest little buddies and I do miss mine!

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Lories fit the size you want. And they can be both cuddly and very playful. Mine is like a puppy in a bird's body! She plays hacky sack, talks very well. Super interactive. Best to get them when they are very young, 2 to 3 months old. You just relate to them like you would another person, and they'll be your very best friend. I am at work all day, so my Chattering Lory spends that time in her large cage, playing with her various toys. I live a radio on and she loves to sing along.

11468_101418986553407_23707_n.jpg

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
I've had an IRN and it was fairly quiet until it screamed. Then it was a high-pitch ear-splitting sound.

Had a red lory for a while, until she got too hormonal for me and I rehomed her. She was hilarious! Loved to play & wrestle, boss people & dogs around, bungy jump off her cage, watch birds out the window, etc. She was a really funny bird, but when she hit puberty she was really unpredictable and I got anxious about handling her. She went to a lady who had other lories and was home all day and last I heard was living happily ever after.

I like quakers a lot, but they can be LOUD too. Ours do what we call the sonic yipe.

If I were starting over with small parrots, I'd look into caiques, even though they might be a little challenging.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
African red bellied parrot. just my opinion. I have heard that ringnecks can be quite loud from a woman who adores her bird and has had it for several years. Tiki my redbellied parrot is a poi she is quiet and makkes a lot of clicking noises and whistles and an occasional screach when the quaker tries to grab her tail feathers. She is in a flight cage and has lots of toys to play with. I also leave a radio or tv on all day.:)

I have to agree, my red belly is really quiet. He talks and chatters, but he doesnt really scream. He is not a year old and already says several words and a couple phrases. As a first time bird owner, he has been an absolute dream. He has been easy to work with, quiet, and fun.

OP
ghostsparrow

ghostsparrow

Dec 6, 2012
ATL, GA
Thanks for all the recommendations so far, guys! I'll look into the other birds you all told me to check out. currently, I'm having a harder time finding breeders for IRN. I can't spend $300 on a bird, so that might not be the best for me. Although I saw somewhere that there were IRN being sold for $150 or so. That I can do ahahah. I'm a student, so I can't spend an exorbitant amount of money on a birdy. ;D

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I still think a GCC will be your best bet... They're great at entertaining themselves, not loud at all, and make you laugh all day long...

OP
ghostsparrow

ghostsparrow

Dec 6, 2012
ATL, GA
Yah, GCC seems like a good option. I'm just worried that it won't be able to handle my many hours away from it.

Most Reactions