Which one?

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
no none other than parrakeets
I've found 2 cages 1 thats 86"x62"x79" for 1,788$ and another thats 81.6"x 86.4"x 63.6" for 799.99 which should I get they're both walk in aviaries.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've found 2 cages 1 thats 86"x62"x79" for 1,788$ and another thats 81.6"x 86.4"x 63.6" for 799.99 which should I get they're both walk in aviaries.
I think the more expensive one may hold up better to the strong beak of a macaw. It's smaller but weighs about 100 lbs more. Look at the details like bar spacing, bar thickness, feeding doors (the high priced one has nice rotating feeding doors). Little things can make a big difference. I noticed that Amazon sells both cages. Big price difference but a blue throated macaw is almost priceless. You wouldn't want him to get injured or escape. They both look challenging to assemble but not impossible if you know someone skilled at it.

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
I think the more expensive one may hold up better to the strong beak of a macaw. It's smaller but weighs about 100 lbs more. Look at the details like bar spacing, bar thickness, feeding doors (the high priced one has nice rotating feeding doors). Little things can make a big difference. I noticed that Amazon sells both cages. Big price difference but a blue throated macaw is almost priceless. You wouldn't want him to get injured or escape. They both look challenging to assemble but not impossible if you know someone skilled at it.
I'm not worried about assembly just which is better thank you for your info I'll get the more expensive one it fits my space better anyways

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
I think the more expensive one may hold up better to the strong beak of a macaw. It's smaller but weighs about 100 lbs more. Look at the details like bar spacing, bar thickness, feeding doors (the high priced one has nice rotating feeding doors). Little things can make a big difference. I noticed that Amazon sells both cages. Big price difference but a blue throated macaw is almost priceless. You wouldn't want him to get injured or escape. They both look challenging to assemble but not impossible if you know someone skilled at it
by chance do you supplement you birds?

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Also from looking at the reveiws pannels arrived bent and when assembling some people broke bars and it rusted

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
Are these complaints with the cheaper one?
most of the reviews on the cheap on are 5 stars but the reviews that are bad say even worse
but I might just go with the expensive one it really depends since the bowls on the expensive on are tiny and all in one place

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
like mineral supplement or calcium stuff like that
When my budgies were breeding I added Calcivet liquid calcium and vitamin D3 supplement to their water to prevent egg binding and promote healthy shell development. Other than that, I don't give them any supplements because I feed them fresh veggies (chop and raw broccoli florets) every day. My hand raised female Rocky eats Harrisons high potency super fine pellets her cagemate also eats them but he eats more seed than she does. My other four budgies eat fresh broccoli daily but won't eat pellets. They were raised on seed for years before I adopted them. The whole crew is healthy but you can tell that Rocky has eaten an ideal diet since I started hand feeding her from hatching. She is so well developed, strong and energetic. I wish all my budgies had her eating habits (except when she steals our food) but I believe you need to start budgies on other foods while they're very young. Can't say about other birds.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I like A&E walk in aviaries. It is hard to shop for cages online because you can't tell the thickness of the bars themselves. With small birds it isn't as big of a concern, but with larger birds they will bend the bars or snap them. My personal experience with cages is you get what you pay for. I have bought cheap cages from Amazon and they haven't held up. I would stick with either A&E or Kings cages.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
With you getting a blue throat macaw, get the sturdiest one possible. Those macaws are FAMOUS for being mechanically inclined and known for disassembling a cage from the inside. My local bird store has 2, the owners, and they had to WELD their cages together because the blue throats kept taking them apart.

You want the thickest bars and spacing appropriate for a macaw. Personally I;d go with a stainless steel one, much more $$ but they are the best built ones out there.

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots
With you getting a blue throat macaw, get the sturdiest one possible. Those macaws are FAMOUS for being mechanically inclined and known for disassembling a cage from the inside. My local bird store has 2, the owners, and they had to WELD their cages together because the blue throats kept taking them apart.

You want the thickest bars and spacing appropriate for a macaw. Personally I;d go with a stainless steel one, much more $$ but they are the best built ones out there.
thanks

OP
K

Kaitama

Nov 12, 2023
Parrots

would wrought iron with a powder coating work?

Most Reactions

Latest posts