Which variety of conures is the most smartest and speaking abilities?

italeki

Jul 16, 2014
I am not a bird person, but just the other day I was captivated by a beautiful conure at Petsmart. I could not believe how animated and playful it was. My question is, which color type variety is the smartest and best speaking abilities? Is the Quaker a better speaker or smarter than a conure? I really appreciate your response!!! :) Thanks

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Blue Crown Conures seem to be pretty good talkers.

Keep in mind there's never any guarantee a bird will talk, even with the species which are known for their talking abilities. Conures aren't really on that list, but some of them do talk. It really depends on the individual.

Last edited:

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I have no personal experience with it, but most lists of "best talking birds" put Quakers very high up there.

Budgies talk a lot, too -- my grandparents had one who never stopped :) Think I've heard it is only the boys that talk though?

OP
I

italeki

Jul 16, 2014
So Quakers are better speakers and smarter than Conures? What is the average cost for a Conure? At Petmart it was $340.00. Where is the best place to purchase them? I was just taken aback with a green conure at the Petmart. It spoke to me!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi Italeki,

Blue Conures tend to learn fast. However I always tell people not to purchase parrots just for the speaking ability, because not all parrots will learn or want to mimic the human language. If you want to experience the joys of parrot ownership, along with all the bad that comes with it (multiple daily clean ups, training, food prep, toys, vet bills, biting), then I say go for it.

The General Information section has sticky threads to get you started on all the reading. Here one helpful link for example: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/8769-so-you-want-get-parrot-first-time.html

OP
I

italeki

Jul 16, 2014
BoomBoom, I just read the whole post you linked. I guess I might not get one after all. Thanks for letting me know. :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
It is a noble quality to admit when something is not for them. Major props to you, Italeki.

Nexus

Jul 16, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Honey, Jenday Conure
I am not a bird person, but just the other day I was captivated by a beautiful conure at Petsmart. I could not believe how animated and playful it was. My question is, which color type variety is the smartest and best speaking abilities? Is the Quaker a better speaker or smarter than a conure? I really appreciate your response!!! :) Thanks

If you're not a bird person, don't even consider buying one!! :D

A bird is a large commitment, and if your heart isn't in it, the bird will suffer.

Too many parrots end up neglected and sent off to rescues with sometimes irreversible mental disorders, from plucking to aggression. They look pretty, some even talk, but they need TLC and a lot of it.

:grey:

Most Reactions

Latest posts