White-front amazons

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I have a chance to meet someone that breeds white- fronts and I'm having a hard time finding videos or much personal information on them. Has anyone owned them before? Are they talkers. What are their personalities like?
The very few videos on YouTube they seem squeakier rather then squawky.....
So far I'm rather partial to DHY, blue fronts, and really like orange winged zons. But I'm having trouble actually finding any birds. I would prefer an older bird, but I figured wouldn't hurt to ask and learn about these.

Gosh I am posting up a storm like the newbie I am.... Sorry.... So many questions lol.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I haven't owned any. I have played with them. Comparable to a Mexican Redhead if you ask me, both in mannerisms and volume...

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I met one once and he was adorable. He was small even smaller than my Yellow Shouldered Amazon. Seemed very friendly and very colorful.

I believe there is some confusion on banking of certain species so I'm assuming you are taking about the smaller species of Amazon that is called White Fronted.

If I was looking for another bird I would definitely consider one. It's nice having a smaller Amazon, less poop, less mess, smaller cage, and you still get all the personality.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
One thing that should be mentioned is that the other types of Amazons can be moody. White Fronts supposedly are very easy going along with Yellow Shouldered Amazons, Panama Amazons and Mexican Red Headed Amazons. I am sure there are others with easier temperaments and I am sure someone on this forum that knows a lot more than me will chime in.

I did my homework when I bought Yellow Shoulder and a White fronted Amazon would be one I would of gotten if I didn't find Mango.

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
This man also breeds yellow naped.
I don't want to open ANOTHER thread... So I'll just continue here. The white fronts seem more squeaky then squawky. But the yellows are well known for being loud and very smart. I like the smart bit. I'm really loud myself (I sometimes think I might be a parrot stuck in a stupid human body) I think my kids would agree.

I have a cage set up, have bought and made so much stuff. Toys, perches, and enough food to feed 3 amazons for 2 or 3 months with only dry (not that that's all it would get, I'm a very healthy eater and juice every morning, fresh foods will be abundant, just saying for reference)
I am starting to feel like a mother that can't get pregnant.
Now the white fronts are ready, and only $500. But I'm kinda want to wait for the yellow naped. I think their crazy antics is what I'm looking to fill my life with. They won't be ready until April, and cost $1500. What would you guy do? Lol. He said I can come meet his birds once he comes back from vacation, which I think will help decide.
Also will most bird rescues look down on me buying a baby?
I an still looking for older birds for sale. I would prefer an older bird to avoid the hormones, and they are set in personalities as I hear, but do they change that much in puberty?
Also every bird I find available (on the mainland which would add another $300 at least. Not including gas) is $1000 plus!!! That seems outrageous for a second hand bird that may come with issues versus a baby that would know only us, no abuse, neglect, or extreme heart break. But then all of those experiences is what also makes me want an older bird. They aren't throw away beings. They deserve a forever love. I want to give someone that. But how reasonable of a time frame is acceptable before I choose a baby bird and will I get outsed by the rescue group because I choose this avenue?
I want to do the right thing. But I want a bird. The rescue hasn't offered for me to meet any other birds other then the paired amazons, and that was three weeks ago.. And the coordinator made it sound like there is no point trying with them if I'm looking for one that may become hand tame....

Sincerely,

Confused, becoming frustrated, and increasingly sad and hopeless *want* to be bird mom.

Last edited:
OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
Just to explain how sad I'm am, my fiancé says I should just put my ipod in the bird cage with YouTube videos of birds playing when people come over.....

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
My vote is for the white fronted, it's a prettier friendlier bird. I'm going to get some flack for that statement.

Talking is over rated. I have had birds that talked and my Sun Conure never said a word but I loved him for his cute personality and intelligence.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I would never pick a bird based on looks. Determine the personality and what you want in a bird. If taking/singing is important to you go with the YN. If a more easy going bird is important go with the WF. Looks should be way down in the priority list. I'd only consider that if everything else was equal.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Is the yellow nape that much of a better talker? There are plenty of Amazons out there that never talked including the types that are supposed to be good talkers. I think personality should be the most important factor. It doesn't hurt if the bird is nice looking.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Is the yellow nape that much of a better talker? There are plenty of Amazons out there that never talked including the types that are supposed to be good talkers. I think personality should be the most important factor. It doesn't hurt if the bird is nice looking.

Yes, white-fronted aren't known to be great talkers, but YN are known to be one of the top talkers, obviously there's no guarantees.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
A talking parrot is a double edge sword that cuts both ways. Do you really need the parrot to be able to talk? Do you? Sure its fun when they say funny things and the communicate their wants/needs with you with words instead of screaming at you. That part I don't mind. It is when they say embarrassing things in public that make people look at you because it is your fault the parrot said that. I have had the police come to my door and a nice spring day when I had all my windows open because my parrot wanted out of his cage and he didn't want to wait until I had did the laundry. The dialog was over heard by my new neighbor who believed a child was being abused so he called the police. Here is the dialog that caused the call in

Joaquin SI Eclectus: "I want out."
Me: "You need to wait."
Joaquin: "I want out now. OUT! OUT! OUT!
Me: "Joaquin! You need to wait."
Joaquin" "Help me! HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!" He then began screaming how he wanted out and started swinging on his rope swing so violently he almost would hit his head on the side of the cage.

20 min later the police showed up at my door. Joaquin was over his tantrum by then but they still had to check out the situation. How embarrassing is that?

I will say this was the same parrot I used for pet therapy work. Outside the home he behaved very well and did wonderful work but at home he was part macaw.

Next year I am getting a Panama amazon. I chose this species with the help of information from a well known breeder of them because their traits and personality are the best fit. I want to keep my flock new world parrot based and I wanted a parrot that would fit in best with my current flock. The Panama amazon fits the bill for me because this species will in time will be a wonderful therapy pet. I am sure with how well my RFM speaks the Pan baby will learn to talk as well. Oh well.

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
How did he learn that much? Does he pick up that much on his own? I live on a farm out in the country. He can't shout, I know I LOVE being loud, it's fun!

Last edited:

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
I have never trained a parrot to speak. They are intelligent enough to learn to communicate with humans because they want to communicate and they want to be understood. My talents lay more with trick training. My mini macaws knew a lot of different performance things to do but I have to say my training methods didn't do well with my Eclectus. They are so different than a mini macaw. Joaquin was extremely intelligent but didn't take to my training methods. Before he follows though with the command the Eclectus contemplates you can almost see the wheels turning in their heads as they decide if they want to do the command. Before Joaquin's disease moved to his brain he was speaking in complete sentences. The more he learned to speak the less he screamed or squacked for his wants and needs. He told me what he would want and what he needed. Strangely enough when I took him out for pet therapy work he didn't speak out in public. He also would not go potty in front of people either. He liked to be with people but in his own way he was shy about expressing himself. Joaquin died in December 2005 two days before Christmas.

I live in a townhome and I currently have a Red Fronted Macaw. It is true with what they say about them being very loud as babies. OMG...can he SCREAM!!! At around 5 months of age when he suddenly began speaking the screaming has lessened a lot because he now talks but he still has moments I have to go upstairs when he needs to scream his lungs out. I am very sure the new neighbors that have moved to the attached unit to mine hate me as a neighbor. Before my neighbor sold her unit she claims she never heard my birds and they didn't bother her. I say BS because I can hear them calling to me as I am pulling up the driveway IN MY CAR.

I have never lived with an amazon. The Panama I am getting next summer will be the first amazon I have ever lived with. I have done my research and this species makes the best fit for my situation and with my plans for training him/her to be a therapy pet. One thing that stands out in my mind that the breeder said about Amazons is that if you don't want them to be loud don't teach them to sing. LOL. Unfortunately I always have sung to my parrots.

Here is a video that was going around a friend sent me to watch. I died laughing because I can totally see my parrots acting this insane also.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jGbtIdOZ-M]Parrot Caught Singing Let the Bodies Hit the Floor - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
I think I would enjoy a talking parrot, but from what I've seen with amazons even if they can't speak human their amazon talk seems easy enough to read, especially once you get to know them. I would love a talker, but it's not my main goal. The intelligence is really appealing though.
That is so sad he died, especially around a date that is so set as a important time. That's something appealing to owning a parrot. 13 years is so short to have a dog. I won't *hopefully* have to worry about it passing away for a long time. We can grow old together
We are still going to meet the breeder and his flock, but it sounds like we made a choice. We are looking for a bigger bird with big personality. I'm pretty active, loud, and I feel like bird will feed off my energy in all the right ways. I know my cockatiel and I were the best of friends. He was so much fun. And always amusing to be around. He was even cute when he slept. And the way all our pets, including our chickens, are spoiled.... I'm very excited and the bird can't come home soon enough. Especially with a giant cage with a couple hundred in toys waiting, and all that food. But now is the best time to hoard the stuff, because from what I gather they will destroy them pretty fast.

Last edited:

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
It is my hope that my current RFM Valentino and Noble macaw Julio will grow old with me. Unfortunately Mihijo, Diego and Joaquin did not. They died before their time for various reasons and to be honest I almost gave up on parrots because it was so very painful to loose them. I even assessed my ability to keep them alive because it was all so much. Valentino came to me two months after my 17 year old Noble had passed away from a heart attack. It was suppose to be just Valentino and Mihijo but it didn't happen that way. I will say Valentino has helped heal my heart and continues to do so.

There is never any guarantees that the parrot you pick to have as your companion will not pass away before its time but I have learned nothing is ever guaranteed in life anyway and not to have such great of a companion in my life is unthinkable. I am a parrot person though and though and not to have a parrot in my life is not fully living it for me.

The Panama amazon will be the last flock member added to our family. Three is my limit for my ability to be able to fulfill their needs and keep them healthy and happy. I know there are people out there that can keep more parrots but for me three is my limit.

Please keep us updated as to your venture of who finally ends up in your home. Which species will you choose? When would the new member come home? What name will you pick? Do you get a baby or a rescue? Such an adventure for you lies ahead. For the first time the other day Valentino said clearly "I love you." It is moments like that which make all the work of having parrots so worthwhile.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My vote would be for the white front, but if the yellow napes are more your bird, then wait for one! :)

OP
Jumpingtadpoles

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
Why do you vote white front?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yellow napes are considered to be very difficult birds to handle and care for at times. Many people say that amazons are very easy to read! Which is true, they'll often tell you they are going to bite before they bite! But... it's also possible to teach these guys to bite without telling you they are going to bite... and then they become unpredictable birds that are hard to handle!

People very often screw up animals due to improper training and not respecting their birds. It's very easy to do, and yet that's what everyone tells you to do! (re: the training that messes up a lot of animals)

White fronts are said to be more easy going and easier to handle. They are not as likely to have the behavioral issues that some of their larger cousins are well known for! That, and I also like some of the smaller amazon species! :)

Those are my preferences and my thoughts. You aren't me! You seem to be more inclined to a yellow nape, so if you think you can handle their big beautiful attitudes, go for it! :)

If you could, I would recommend interacting with both species before choosing, though.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Look at both species handle them and choose a bird you like.

Most Reactions

Latest posts