White noise for parrots?

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)
I started using this meditation/white noise app for myself https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jinglow/id1364548353 and I enjoy it, but I wonder what kind of an effect will it have for parrots/birds? Is it better if I play calming nature sounds or white noise for them? It doesn't have to be 24/7 but at least during the day to block out all the car noises from outside.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I could not play the selection, but have used various "white noises" in the past. Once had a sound generator and played various rainfall, insect, wind noises, etc. None of the birds imitated the sounds, hard to tell if they appreciated the effort!

bingbing

May 12, 2018
Daytona Beach
Parrots
Green Cheek conure Bing Bing is his name.
I always leave some form of ambient noise be it a tropical bird show or rain forest sounds etc. Even if the bird doesn't appreciate it I feel better having attempted to not just leave him with zero atmosphere :). Now I am using alexa and it's like having a sound machine so many to keep it interesting for the bird and myself. Alexa has rain forest sound skill and bird sound skills of various types. You can loop them also. For video I use many of the tropical bird ones that are on you tube and it's 4k selection is awesome.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I'd say calming nature sounds are better. Might feel familiar.

In the day when I'm away, I would play river / wind / rain sounds in between various kinds of soothing music.

At night, I would play cricket sounds. Here's my favorite:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij57bP-vVbo&list=PLF9Vzw0daROOd9WXThX7axGzManZHxPjM"]Nighttime Ambience: Dusk Countryside | 10 Hours | Nature Sleep Sounds - YouTube[/ame]

If there are fireworks or loud sounds in the area especially at night, I turn the electric fan on high to drown out the noise.

sweetpeamusic

Mar 4, 2018
Washington State
Parrots
Nico - male Turquoise GCC
Since I like to take Nico out to public places and I want him to be familiar with people sounds, I often play "public noise" ambient white noise, such as coffee shop noises or airport noises (my personal favorite), when I'm out of the room or when we're going to sleep. Nico doesn't seem to mind them, and easily falls asleep with it on low to medium volume. I do also play "forest" sounds that feature birds chirping occasionally, but Nico doesn't really seem to care what I'm playing.

Most Reactions