Why are Green Cheeked Conures so much more expensive then Cockatiels?

krystof.chabr

Apr 5, 2023
Czech Republic
Parrots
None yet.
Hello there folks! Iam looking to get a first pair of parrots ever soon, and I have done lots, and I mean LOTS of research for how to take good care of them and make them happy and safe. But parrots generaly recommended for new owners are Budgies, Tiels, and GCCs. And while the other two are really really cheap from most breeders in my country, but GCCs can cost almost triple that price, and Iam not even talking about other colors. Anyone know why is that? They are pretty similar with behavior and difficulty to train from what I have seen and read, and I really don't have a clue why are they so expensive. Help appreciated!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Because GCC's are rarer than cockatiels.

However I'm not sure how it looks like in other countries because I noticed that in different countries different species are more common - but here where I live cockatiels are definitely more common, you can buy them in most pet stores which sell birds while GCCs... are hardly ever seen

OP
krystof.chabr

krystof.chabr

Apr 5, 2023
Czech Republic
Parrots
None yet.
Because GCC's are rarer than cockatiels.

However I'm not sure how it looks like in other countries because I noticed that in different countries different species are more common - but here where I live cockatiels are definitely more common, you can buy them in most pet stores which sell birds while GCCs... are hardly ever seen
I see! That most likely is the case really, there is a nice little site for breeders in my country, where they put up the animals they have, and right now, there is nearly triple the ammount of Tiels then CCGs in my whole country availible. I will be getting Tiel then most likely.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Tiels and Budgies are rather prolific breeders.
average clutch is 5/6
IDK what conures are like as far as reproduction goes.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I don't know if GCC are a good choice for first parrot. Granted they are small, but they also have definate personalitites and not all are the cutesy, snuggly type. And they tend to be bitey/nippy, especially during hormone season. A cockatiel is a great choice, they are active, smart, can learn almost any whistled song and not prone to nipping. Of course these are generalities and there is always one on the thin side of any bell shaped curve. Good luck!

Most Reactions