why did you name your bird that name!?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
hello all!

im interested to hear peoples stories of where they thought of their name for their birds! there are some really interesting ones on here! :D i searched to see if there were any threads about this but i couldnt find any!

i will start :p

Fargo: there is this tv show called Eureka and it is about scientists.. and my favourite character was named Douglas Fargo... i was watching it about the same time i was looking at macaws.. so i thought well, i will have to name him Fargo :p

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Awesome topic!!

Well Audrey is after Audrey hepburn, all of my pets (and even my daughter) have old fashioned named which I love!! :D

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My budgie, Percy, was named after poet Percy Shelley. ("be thou me, spirit fierce!" LOL)
My Georgie was named after my grandmother who died a few years before i got Georgie, and Georgie was even born on my grandmother's birthday (Feb 8).
My Gilbert Oliver--"Gilbert" i thought was just so cute for a pet, but also i am in love with Gil Grissom on the show CSI. "Oliver" is for my mother (Olive).
Pepito, the canary, just looks like his name should be Pepito. I don't know why. I saw that tiny little yellow guy singing his heart out and i said, "Pepito!"

bridget503

Oct 7, 2011
Media
LaGrange, Il
Parrots
Baby Blue Budgie, Indy, Tic Tac, Freeway, Misty, Nipper, Kiwi, Evan, Sidney, 4 new ones not yet named, RIP Elbee, the lovebird
Elbee, Uccello, and Periwinkle were named when we got them, Baby Blue Budgie got his name because that was how he was listed on the shelter website, Indy, because he's "independent", and Tic Tac, because we thought it was cute, and he's a little guy.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Oh, that explains it - thought it was Fargo the movie :52: Rome's name was Romeo when we got her, she dint take to the name change well so we just dropped the 'o' , she also gets called Princesss, a title she has def earned. Rocco's name was also Romeo when we got him, I let Tommy name him since he let me have another one. I personally call him The green monster, which i usually say in spanish to him, funny cuz Rome gets talked to in French, not sure why i do that. :20:

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Rio because my 4yr old watched that movie Rio about the time we got her.
Sunshine came with that name.

Kern2012

Jun 9, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Parrots
Cinnamon GCC and GCC
Cooper - cause I thought my she was a he and it was to late to change it, but I mostly call her Booty cause it has a playful ring to it when I talk to her :rainbow1:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My friends gave Rosie her name because she had no name, they hoped by giving her the most common galah name it would hopefully be hers. I don't think it was since her last owners where foreign but it's her name now(I'd never dare change a intelligent birds name. unless to only shorten it.)

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Roscoe - My parents had a B&G Macaw when i was younger. in he would only come to me. but i would never handle him that much because i was scared. but when i got older . i trying to find the lady we got him from because i wanted to get him.. but i never could find her of the B&G. But anyways his name was Roscoe in i was trying to get him back but i couldnt never find him so i got my Scarlet macaw n named him Roscoe

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Pepper-because she is small and grey. :D
Naw, just kidding. It was a name me and hubby both liked. It seemed to suit her personality. Now I kinda wish I had known how many African Greys are named Pepper. I had no idea it was so common and I wish I had something more unusual.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
thank you for sharing everyone! these are wonderful :) choosing the name for your pet is the funnest thing ever :p

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Charlie - he came with the name, and probably the name his first owner chose

Casey - a name the breeder actually chose, and I liked it enough to keep it! (mind you, she was mine before I even knew she existed!)

Pistachio - second(?) owner gave him that name, unless it was the name he had when he was picked up at the animal shelter

Faye - probably had influence from some books I was reading in regards to Arthur, Morgana, Merlin, etc (Camelet stories). Faye, although not very human orientated, is actually a rather sweet and shy bird, so the name seemed fitting. She was previously named "Mama" in her last home, and if she had any other names prior to that (I know she had lived in at least 3 homes prior to mine), I am unaware of them.

Tomi Girl - quite unoriginal here... she was named "Tom" by the idiots who found her, then nearly killed her from neglect. She is an odd-ball of a bird though, like the out-sider who watches whats going on on the inside. Keeping her distance but still being a "part" of the group. Just lengthened Tom to Tomi Girl (guess I did the opposite! lol)

The Bourke - she really doesn't have a name. Well, when I got her, her and her family didn't have names and I couldn't think of names for them. Although Australian, they look "Asian" with how they have somewhat slanted eyes. Never could think of a good name, so she is 'informally' known as "The Bourke".

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Alex - He is an Alexandrine and was my first fid. We actually named him off an anime my sister and I watch. Full Metal Alchemist. He is named after a character called Alex Louis Armstrong ;p

Yuki - Also named after someone from an anime my sister and I love. She is named after someone called Yuki Nagato.

Flynn - Named after someone from a game I played. ;p Flynn scifo. We were going to called him "Fin" as he also had feathers sticking up. So like a fin. But we changed it to flynn as my sis liked that name better ;p

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
He is named Eloy Custodes because thats what he are. <3
A chosen (Eloy) guardian (Custodes) of my heart. Eloy Custodes is Latin.

Boogie

Aug 18, 2012
Sydney Australia
Parrots
2 budgies and 1 male eclectus
I named my male eclectus "booger" because he was so green! It has morphed into "boogie" now, which really suits him.

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Scottie Pippen: is after the basketball player, if there is one thing that bird loves more than anything it's his toy ball :) his last owner called him chico which just didnt suit him at all, he wouldnt respond to the name either so :) Pip, or pipsqueek or anything ending in squeek gets his attention!

Little Bandit: she actually had no name, her last owners didn't name her, we were discussing her current and future diet ( from seed only to pellets etc) when snake from the simpsons shouted out "little bandit needs premium dude!" so little bandit it was :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hunter - Didn't know whether she was a boy or a girl, so I needed something a bit neutral. I don't know...Hunter just kind of stuck with me, especially after my family members made threats when I said I was going to call her Gumbi. :eek:

Niko(lai) - My husband's family is from the Ukraine, Niko sport Ukrainian colors, and I wanted a name that sounded somewhat Ukrainian. Voila', Nikolai.

Sam(mi) - He's Sam, my man. :cool: Wanted something short and sweet.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Mine all came with their names.....but they fit.....lol

Chiquita actually speaks some spanish (I have no idea what she's saying) her first owner must have spoken spanish, because she kinda has an accent even on her english words.....lol

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
We went through a heck of a time naming Mac.

I wanted Zeus or Merlin but that didn't fly with my wife.

Then one day there was a commercial on TV for a James Bond movie and my wife said something regarding "Macaw, Mac Macaw" and it stuck.

Now, a lot of times, he gets called the Monkey Man because of some of his antics on his play perch.

Most Reactions

Latest posts