WHY do I do this with myself

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
beautiful rose-ringed parakeet

I love craigslist. But sometimes I hate myself for looking at it.

Look at her. 'Lilly'. A beautiful, ATTENTION DEMANDING parrot, of the exact same species of my current parrot, which happens to be the best species in existence (aside from a black palm) (sorry Fargo, mishka, other awesome birds on here...)

>.< but we can't afford to take on another bird. So ill oogle at her, and wish I owned her, but settle for a bird that enjoys biting ears (new habit btw, lol). Ok maybe not 'settle', but I tell ya. He'd love to have a friend.

So... Who else has my addiction, and what's your current bird you wish you could own? :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I wonder whether my galah would like a "husband". I'd like one of those like Fargo, but I wouldn't really get one. I will get some more chickens and some more budgies.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh boy, I do the same thing! But I visit local petshops - I want to save them all ;)

Currently, a female cinnamon tiel, an illigers macaw and a male baby ekkie are calling my name. The tiel doesn't need 'saving', she's in a great petshop and is living in excellent conditions...but the others... :(

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
There's a gorgeous jardines at the local bird shop. He doesn't need saving as they are great people who raise their birds right, but I'd still like to take him home. They also have a drop dead gorgeous CAG baby that hisses at me when I walk by that I keep thinking I could hide in my pocket on the way out....then there's the red bellied that sticks his beak through the bars for a rub.....

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Oh boy, when I visit Charlies Bird House I want at least a half of a dozen gorgeous birds (that don't need rescuing) especially the one's that start talking to me as I pass by....

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think Kijiji is our equivalent to Craigs list in the states, and I have it as a toolbar bookmark. I definitely don't need any more birds, but can't stop looking there and at the local pet shops. I think maybe we need to form a help group like "Can'tstoplookingatbirdsforsale anonymous"!
I would love to have a Galah, but just can't do any more. (Famous last words)

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
Rizo the Sun Conure hatched May 2013
Kenickie Hahns Macaw hatched Nov 2013
Daughter has a 5 year old Senegal named Maggie
I think Kijiji is our equivalent to Craigs list in the states, and I have it as a toolbar bookmark. I definitely don't need any more birds, but can't stop looking there and at the local pet shops. I think maybe we need to form a help group like "Can'tstoplookingatbirdsforsale anonymous"!
I would love to have a Galah, but just can't do any more. (Famous last words)

oh Terry I know how that goes lol.....kijiji and our house are very good friends....I would definitely be a part of that group....its so bad here that I have to sneak a peek on kijiji because my daughter gives me the eye :20: when she sees me on it while I protest with "I'm just looking :54:"

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm like the half way house, I'll do the rehab before sending them off to their home, IF they leave my home that is. We're trying really hard to tell people no....not hard enough I guess since we just got Bramble last Saturday....lol....This is why I can't wait to build the flight aviary soon....

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Mikey... We're all well aware of your addiction :p whose Bramble ? It'll be cool to see your birds in an avairy. Who is going in there?

I'm just glad we're a pretty small town... Parrots don't pop up often... Now... Rabbits, chickens, turkeys... 'Farm animals'... Different story! We have 8 doves because of that, and trying to find homes is a PITA. I thought we were picking up pigeons.. Lol, ringneck doves are a far stretch from pigeons. They gotta live in the house, which makes finding homes impossible. They're super soft, and Kiwi LOVES them though. So I guess we've got that going.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
We definitely have the addiction. Space is the only thing stopping us, or I swear, the house would be full of birds.
If I ever have the money, I'm going to build the largest parrot sanctuary/rescue in the world. No birds turned away. Enough love for all of them! And I'm going to EDUCATE people on the joys and responsibilities of caring for birds.
I know I sound crazy, but if I ever have the cash, it's happening.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Mikey... We're all well aware of your addiction :p whose Bramble ? It'll be cool to see your birds in an avairy. Who is going in there?

I'm just glad we're a pretty small town... Parrots don't pop up often... Now... Rabbits, chickens, turkeys... 'Farm animals'... Different story! We have 8 doves because of that, and trying to find homes is a PITA. I thought we were picking up pigeons.. Lol, ringneck doves are a far stretch from pigeons. They gotta live in the house, which makes finding homes impossible. They're super soft, and Kiwi LOVES them though. So I guess we've got that going.

You missed Bramble???? He's our Violet Black Masked Lovebird!!! :D

The aviary is being built for my 12 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets, and 2 Canaries. Then upgrade Willie's cage cause everyone's cages are rather new. Malachai will have to stay by himself cause he don't play well with others. I'm not sure about Bramble yet, I've been training him. He's a sweetie!!!!

OP
SpotsandSally

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Oh, oops! LOL. The title is very fitting. Such a handsome baby.

Do post lots of pics. Nothing prettier than lots of cockatiels flying in a group (well,,any parrot for that matter).

Birdymomma, that sounds like a GREAT idea I think we'd all do if we could :D perhaps someday you can fulfill the dream, just on a smaller scale?

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
We definitely have the addiction. Space is the only thing stopping us, or I swear, the house would be full of birds.
If I ever have the money, I'm going to build the largest parrot sanctuary/rescue in the world. No birds turned away. Enough love for all of them! And I'm going to EDUCATE people on the joys and responsibilities of caring for birds.
I know I sound crazy, but if I ever have the cash, it's happening.

YUP MINE TOO!!!!! <3 SOMEDAY WHEN MY HUBBY RETIRES AND I GET MY FARM...... THERE WILL BE A PORTION PUT ASIDE FOR A BIRDY SANCTUARY!
HOPEFULLY I WIN THE LOTTERY BEFORE THEN! LOL....

Right now I am having a really hard time being responsible and not taking home a gorgeous little 4 week old torquise`blue ringneck that my friend bred..... My dream bird, that I'll never be able to afford, is a hyacinth macaw (although im a bit afraid of them!) Or a blue mutation Eclectus..... I also really want a CAG.... I'm going to end up with 100 birds.... :blue:

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I browse the CL all the time for pets! :) I just got a super sweet lovebird (untamed according to her owner!) and two budgies as a free bonus on CL. :)
I absolutely love cockatoos!!! It's my dream… But my biggest dream is to work in a huge outdoor aviary with hundreds of birds. :) And to go to Australia to see the 'real' parrots in the wild! (I just posted a cool documentary about them in the community section). Mmm, dreams… :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
And to go to Australia to see the 'real' parrots in the wild!
Not such fun when a group of cockies descends on your tree and takes a bite out of each and every almond and drops them on the ground while you just stand there and watch... :D

I'd like lots of birds if I could toilet train them. I don't like the poo.... I haven't got very far training my girl to go in her potty.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I agree ,We need some sort of support group on here [with those of us with "Bird Fever". Im finding myself drawn to the ones that have problems [and are misunderstood. ] I like different species and having the experience with male and females.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I love my birds and don't really covet any more. A pair of Plumheads would be nice, but I'm not in a hurry.

What IS calling to me is the pair of Irish Wolfhound puppies I found at our local animal rescue. I've wanted a Wolfhound all my life and this pair is going for a song! I don't think my dear Hubby could cope with another animal right now so... :(

Most Reactions