Why do I keep the morons?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh goodness, why must I always keep the idiots of the clutch. Little miss Sepha was sitting on my back as I was on all fours picking up my daughters toys. Sepha decided to run up onto my shoulder, and then hang upside down. So i stayed still not wanting her to fall.. But she just let go and fell directly on her head.. It made a rather loud CLONK noise. This was 2 days ago, and now shes acting all crazy and somewhat aggressive towards everyone. Biting everyone. Now I'm concerned fir my silly little lovable moron.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
The moron is ok now. She was apparently just in shock and wanted to have some privacy. But she's back to normal, well...as normal as she usually is which is a complete nutter lol. *phew*

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Sepha is dead. I found her this morning drowned in the toilet... She must have CRUSHED herself getting out of her cage let alone crushing herself to get under the toilet door.. *sighs upset* stupid bird...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm baffled....one moment she's fine, next she's dead???

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
*sighs deeply* She's gotten out of her cage a few times before when I hadn't tied up the doors etc, but she's NEVER been able to get into the toilet room.. she would've had to seriously squeeze her way in there.. and that alone would've been damaging or at least very painful. I just don't understand it... And now my daughters upset because there's no birdy in the cage anymore and she wants to play chasey with Sepha.. but she hasn't seen Sepha at all today so she's rather confused. :'(

Tell you what, I'm less than a millimetre away from refusing to EVER have another pet bird again.

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
Lovebirds: Gabby, Dino, and Belle Nips
Quaker Parrots: Mozzi and Sydney
Oh no. I'm so sorry.

:green1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
The thing about crazy naughty birds is sometimes you can not prevent everything, you can only try....That's why I put latches on escape artist's cage doors. I just don't understand how a little bird is able to squeeze through toilet lids unless it was left open. And when they panic once they get themselves in a predicament they can't get out of. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your baby!!!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Mm. I closed the lid when I went to bed, but I'm not sure id my husband used it and left it up.. either way she shouldn't have been able to #1: get out of her cage, and #2, squeeze under the doorway.

I blame myself though.. Last night I did randomly think about putting a towel up against the door so there was no gap (for no apparent reason) but I didn't do it.. I did have her cage door tied down but my husband took it off a few days ago and just put her cage (door side) up against the wall, which seemed to work.. But honestly I could've just found another piece of thin rope and tied it down again.. ARGH the amount of ways I could've prevented it! It's so much worse when it's your 2 year old daughters bird, and your daughter can't understand why there's no bird anywhere and why her Mummy won't get the bird out for her. Not fun at all.

Sorry.. I'm just feeling very grumpy today. I was going to get a pet Greenwing or B+G Macaw in a few years but I've decided against it. Since every single one of my favourite birds I've ever owned has died prematurely, even if not my fault, I don't want to have a favourite Macaw and have something happen to that too. The strange thing is, I take better care of my favourites.. yet it's my UN-Favourites that live full long lives.

My brain is screaming "IT'S SO UNFAIR!" But yes.. I'll still breed and hand-raise, but I won't be keeping any more birds for myself/for the family.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I just think you need some time to heal....you'll probably think differently down the road or when your daughter start asking can we can we can we....And I sooooo know what you mean about it always happen to your favorite one! It just reminds me when I lost EggBert this past summer, he broke my heart. But he changed me back to my old ways of keep baby chicks. Out of all odds against him that could of killed him, he survived through them and started growing bigger by the day leaving me with very little sleep until he ate wood chips one day and that's what killed him. So I'm back using paper towels, this have never happened to me ever in the past 16 years until EggBert. It still makes me sad thinking about him.....

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Well, my husband has just said "That's it. No more pet birds." very decisively. So I highly doubt we are going to have any pet birds for a LONG, LONG time.

There goes my plan to have Sepha, a Kakariki, an Eclectus and a Macaw. (I'd have matched up their personalities etc. so they get along ok) but yes.. totally not happening now.

The only reason I kept Sepha was because my daughter was smitten with her. I was very tempted to sell her a few times just because she was so stupid most of the time and I didn't want her killing herself... But then my daughter attached herself to Sepha so I couldn't do it.

Mm I'll be tempted then... but I don't think I'll keep a bird. Perhaps she'll find another animal she likes, like a rabbit. (I personally despise rabbits with every fibre of my being.. but little kids/a lot of people seem to like them).

Awww :( I still cry thinking about my Muta.. he only passed on last November. It's just hard losing fluffy family members only 11 months apart. I finally start to heal with Muta, and now Sepha... -_- it never ends...

I just think you need some time to heal....you'll probably think differently down the road or when your daughter start asking can we can we can we....And I sooooo know what you mean about it always happen to your favorite one! It just reminds me when I lost EggBert this past summer, he broke my heart. But he changed me back to my old ways of keep baby chicks. Out of all odds against him that could of killed him, he survived through them and started growing bigger by the day leaving me with very little sleep until he ate wood chips one day and that's what killed him. So I'm back using paper towels, this have never happened to me ever in the past 16 years until EggBert. It still makes me sad thinking about him.....

Last edited:

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
Well, my husband has just said "That's it. No more pet birds." very decisively. So I highly doubt we are going to have any pet birds for a LONG, LONG time.

Aww, I'm sorry :( But you don't need to make any decisions now regarding what pets you will/won't have in the future. You may feel differently later, or not, but leave yourself open to making future decisions based on how you feel at that time, not now. Give yourself time to process and grieve now, without worrying about the future.

A note on rabbits: I wouldn't get a rabbit for a kid. I have two rabbits and love them, but they are the most work of all of my pets. They are very messy (drag hay everywhere, and poop all over - thankfully they are fully litter trained for pee and most of their poops, but I still need to sweep every time they come out), take up a large amount of space (my two have a 4' x 4' area), are attention-demanding (especially if you have only one - they need as much attention as a lone bird), AND need to be spayed/neutered to avoid aggression, poo/pee problems, spraying (male rabbits can spray up to your knees... seriously) and uterine cancer (which 80% of unspayed females will get). AND lastly, since you don't like rabbits, if your daughter were to lose interest it would be a crappy life for the rabbit.

All that being said, I love my rabbits soooo much. They are very sweet. Just lots of work...

Maybe a rat? They are a short commitment (3-5 years), but super smart and friendly and cuddly if you can get over the icky rat thing.

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
I'm sorry:(

But bunnies.... Are great indoor animals. They are easy to litter train, easy to feed, and are bliss to have around. I have a Flemish giant, and highly recommend the breed as long as they are fixed, the hormones are not there. They are cute cuddly, and huge. We love our bunny, and we've had two. Both have been wonderful to be owned by. If you want to know more shoot me a pm!

Most Reactions