Why do parrots bathe when you vacuum?

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Jade (Nanday Conure, 20),
Henry (Red-Crowned Amazon, ~15), Joey and Sophie (Congo African Greys, ~17)
Hi all,

My red-crowned amazon likes to bathe in her water bowl when I vacuum. I've heard this is rather common. What might motivate a parrot to think it is bath time when we are vacuuming?

Attachments

• henry bath.jpg
    henry bath.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,714

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
Maybe it sounds like heavy rainfall to them? I honestly don't know but I've always found this so funny.

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
A long time ago I had an aviary with 4 untamed tiels.And every time I vacuumed at least a couple would hang upside down and act like they were bathing.It was really funny.
Now all my guys just scream.They love it and I dont mind them screaming their little lungs out while I vacuum since I barely hear them.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I think it is the vibration as much as the sound that inspires them, and things besides vacuums will trigger the behavior. If I vacuum in a bedroom the birds can hear the noise but don't bathe. If I vacuum near them they get the urge to bathe. I've been known to turn the vacuum on and set it in the bird room. Soon everyone is ready to be sprayed down or has jumped in a water dish. I use a pump up garden sprayer.

We lived on a sail boat for a few years with Rose and LaFitte. Every time we started the motor in preparation for leaving the slip, they would each jump in their water bowls. We never went sailing without a wet bird.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I always joked that they love everything clean. "Oh, she's cleaning again. I guess i'll go get clean too." Gilbert is more 'normal' with his baths, whereas Georgie did it over and over. She LOVED a good splashin' in the bowl. LOL She was crazy for bath time and made a crazy mess with water everywhere.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I've thought about this before and I don't think its the sound of the vaccuum. Just a theory but when we vacuum, dust gets kicked up in the air and if they're in the same room, I think our parrots feel like they need to bath themselves to get clean.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
some say it sounds like a heavy rain in the rain forest, but i have to agree with soda on that it is more the vibrations. we had to unclogg a drain and use a motorrized snake and the drain was in the bird room, so while the machine was running(electric not gas) it vibrated and the floor was soaked before we knew it

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I lean toward the sound being like a rainfall or waterfall. A little more far-fetched -- the position and movement of our arms (wings) -- back and forth.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
That would be handy! Aizen just gets terrified; I have to put him in a travel cage upstairs whilst I clean the living room.

OP
LakeDesire

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Jade (Nanday Conure, 20),
Henry (Red-Crowned Amazon, ~15), Joey and Sophie (Congo African Greys, ~17)
That would be handy! Aizen just gets terrified; I have to put him in a travel cage upstairs whilst I clean the living room.

That is too bad! Jade used to scream at the vacuum in her "DANGER DANGER PREDATOR!!!" squawk but now she likes it when I vacuum... took her to age 16 to like the vacuum! I think because saw that Henry likes it so it must be fun/not scary.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Pixel gets inspired to bathe by pretty much anything. Vacuuming, dishwasher, me blow drying my hair, raining outside, me watering my house plants, running water... The sound of the toilet flushing... Yeah. Lol. She's very clean!

Most Reactions