Why does he preen everytime im in the room?

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I got a new budgie:) i posted another topic the other day, but anyway everytime i go in there and talk to him and such he'll eventually start preening...alot. but i think its only when im in there? cuz he does it like he hasn't preened all day and i have to wait for him to finish which is sometimes up to 10 minutes at a time!! what does that mean? or is it just coincidence? my other budgie never did that? his feathers look perfectly fine he's not overpreening i don't think and he's not plucking so...maybe someone could help!

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
I read that birds preen like they are always just about to go out on the biggest date of their life.
Perhaps he loves you?
Having said that, I know nothing about birds :)

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
It means he's comfortable around you. Does he stretch in front of you? Pepper preens herself on me all the time. I get covered in grey floofies and dander. Good times. So if he wants to be with you he could finish preening on your arm!

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
I've always read that it's a GOOD sign if a bird is preening a lot. It means it's healthy and that it feels comfortable and secure enough to let its guard down. A healthy bird should be almost obsessed with keeping its feathers in good condition. When the bird isn't busy eating or playing with its toys, it will be preening. My previous parakeet, Buddy preened his feathers all the time, and my new parakeet Chipper does too.

You don't have to wait until he's finished preening before you pick him up. Once a bird is tamed and is used to being picked up and petted, you can pet him anytime. Just don't startle him with sudden quick movements, because he is letting his guard down when he preens. Talk to him calmly first, and then gently pet him. If he is tamed and is comfortable with you, he won't mind as long as you give him a warning by talking to him first. That's how Buddy was, and how Chipper is. I can pet them anytime...when they're eating, preening, whatever...I just always talk to Chipper calmly first so that he knows I'm there and he can expect me to pet him. Then he doesn't mind at all.

He will probably just finish preening after you pick him up. If he does preen while he's on your hand or shoulder, then you know he is very comfortable with you and trusts you. :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
It means that he is comfortable and happy with you in the room. :)

OP
DannyA93

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Ok good:) and yes the first thing he does the instant i walk in he stretches! never fails haha im glad he's feeling comfortable! he won't let me pet him yet but he's comfortable with my hand in the cage and stuff, he doesn't know step up yet but that is our current training lesson:) he's learning:)

O! and idk what he's doing but its like he gets super hyper sometimes! he darts his head up and down but not bobbing and turns back and forth then hangs on to the perch for dear life and starts flapping as fast as he can! and then he'll stop and look at me and ill say whoa! crazy bird!! and he starts at it again lol the more i say it the more he "gets crazy"! does he think its a game or something? its actually pretty funny ha

Most Reactions

Latest posts