Why does she prefer to sit on the bottom of her cage?

Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
My conure is really goofy. She has perches in her cage, many have been replaced multiple times from her chewing on them despite having a cuttle bone to gnaw on. She also has toys that we rotate through to keep her stimulated. But despite all that, she prefers to sit on the bottom of her cage. She hasn't laid any eggs yet this year. She laid a clutch of 4 in her food dish last year, around this same time. So I'm expecting to find the same. She loves being out, she's playful, and ornery as can be. But she seems to be more comfortable sitting on the bottom of her cage, and I can't figure out why. Is this some kind of behavior I need to worry about?

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Does she have wooden toys to chew on?
Some perches couldn’t be chewed through by a green cheek, woods like Java, manzanita, or fir. They’d have to be thicker though.
My GCC is on the ground playing a lot but he’s perched more often.

Is this a new behavior? Maybe you could get her a platform perch to rest on.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Afraid of heights? Just kidding!! My thoughts - if she is healthy and happy and active, whats the harm? Remember, each parrot is its own bird, so to speak. She just prefers the floor.

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
Birds habits change Paddy my GCC started getting on the floor about 6 months ago, does it all the time now. Just make sure visitors are aware for safety!

Most Reactions