Why is he biting me?!

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
So when I feed my green cheek something he will bite the treat, then start biting me more. WTH? Hard bites. I have felt his harder bites before but these still hurt. He also will bite me when "grooming" me, like biting on my ears hard. Now hes on my chest pinching my tummy. So when I go to remove him from biting me he goes after my finger like "No!! I'm biting you and thats it!" Whats this about. How do you discipline your birds?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
He is biting you because you are looking for another bird!!!LOL

Sorry couldn't resist....:D

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I think he is doing what green cheeks do. Everything is theirs to do with as they wish. You might try giving him a time out by putting him in his cage for about 10 minutes. Tell him now be a good boy. Trying to punish them will make them worse and you will get the short end of the stick. LOL. Try to divert his attention on to something else while he is biting sometimes that works. They just take those spells and then they become sweet as pie again. Just be willing to give blood occasionally.

OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Ohhh... Well I put him in his cage. Hes eating now. I couldnt take the bites and the biting for no apparent reason.

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
GCC are known to be very nippy little parrots! Especially when they are young they want to test everything and need to learn what is too much pressure. I usually just take away whatever mine is biting at the time. So if she chews a finger hand is gone. If she is especially nippy she goes back into the cage, I will try again until she is nicer.

Actually, she hardly nips any more. I am sure there are better ways to enforce better behaviour, hope someone else will help!

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
I have a Sun conure as well. He bites but not as vengefully.....GCC's get overstimulated and just need to take a breath and relax. Try taking him out in about 10 minutes. He will probably be a different bird....also if they are hungry or tired they are worse. He is probably ready for bed. They need a regular bedtime 10 - 12 hours rest depending on the bird. Forrest goes to bed about 8:30 - 9:00.........and he always comes and sits in my hand and gets beak rubs between my thumb and index finger, just sort of nibbles very sweetly for about 10 minutes.....then he is ready for bed. He is about 15 months old now but when he was younger he was never ready for bed and would get very testy so I started making him go to bed at that time and he got used to it and is definitely ready by that time.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Yeah keep a stack of popcicle stick ( 200 sticks at Micheals less than 5$) and distract him with them when ever he starts biting let him spend time making splinters out of them and you can praise him for doing it. also Micheals had the old fashion clothes pins and lots of fun things they can destroy to your delight.

OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
It soon to be his bed time. I am surprised he is not in it. He usually is in bed at 830 as well. He's eating now still so I guess late night party. Weekend is here, lol.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Probably ought to just say night night and call it a day. LOL

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Seems to me these little darlings start this biting with avengence at around the 18 month to 2 years of age. I am helping two owners deal with biting ATM. One owner in fact is so angry with her bird she was going to open the cage & just let it go or take it to the Vets & have it euthanize.:mad:. I have offered to take the poor bird to find it a new home. I feel that over the few years they have had this bird they didn't know how to deal with the behavior & took the bites personal & were maybe mean to the poor little thing. My biggest worry & concerns is whether or not to much damage has been done. IMO parrots bite to gain control or fear. This little guy seems to really attack people & won't stop until removed from the person.

I am sure it has something to do with them maturing. Hormones taking over. I am also wondering if the fact they have a happy hut stimulates them more?

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
i'm pretty frustrated to with crowley. he's ALWAYS BITING unless he's away from his cage. it's like if we're trying to get him off his cage, or near his cage, or anything, he "growls" and tries to bite us. but when he decides he wants to play, he'll hop off his cage and come to us.... UGH.... he's 3 months old. but c'mon man! i just wanna play!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck would bite hard when he was overstimulated. He was happy with what we were doing, but he would get too excited and draw a little blood! When he did that, I'd pull my hand away and say "ouch". He seemed to get the idea, but still got carried away sometimes. Sometimes, your skin is funner to chew on than toys.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
you can try laddering him. when he bites make him step up over and over in a laddering motion about 5 times, this teaches control. you can also place him on the floor (just for a minute or less) when he bites, the floor is an insecure place for parrots. this will make him relize that when he bites he gets put on the floor, then he wants to come back up to his mommy so he'll behave :) good luck :)

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Ours is a bit nippy sometimes; I normally get a toy and play about with him until it passes. If he's just running over you while you're watching TV, he'll probably start pecking - what else is a bird to do? :)

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
you can try laddering him. when he bites make him step up over and over in a laddering motion about 5 times, this teaches control. you can also place him on the floor (just for a minute or less) when he bites, the floor is an insecure place for parrots. this will make him relize that when he bites he gets put on the floor, then he wants to come back up to his mommy so he'll behave :) good luck :)
Good pro-tip!

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
i'm pretty frustrated to with crowley. he's ALWAYS BITING unless he's away from his cage. it's like if we're trying to get him off his cage, or near his cage, or anything, he "growls" and tries to bite us. but when he decides he wants to play, he'll hop off his cage and come to us.... UGH.... he's 3 months old. but c'mon man! i just wanna play!

When Forrest was about 6 months old, he went thru a terrible spell of biting. At one point I thought I had really screwed up getting a GCC. I just very closesly watched what ticked him off and watched his body language and after he went thru that phase or maybe I learned his ways better, things really smoothed out. I very rarely get bitten hard now, we have come to respect each other's ways I guess. He is 15 months old now. When he gets in a mood, I just don't try to interact with him and let him come to me when he is ready, ( which he does, he doesn't like being ignored) and after a couple days of that it is back to normal.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Good pro-tip!

Forrest is not afraid of the floor, he sometimes hops down there to go after our dog. That is a really funny thing. Doesn't happen often but if he sees her get a dog treat, the race is on. Our dog is old and very tolerant. Of course I watch very closely just in case she were to get surprised when he nips her foot. I have learned to pick him up before he gets to her or he will nip her foot while she is chewing her treat. They are fearless.

Most Reactions

Latest posts