Why is my 8month male Blue&Gold click or tapping his beak at me??

Why is my 8 month Blue&Gold male clicking or tapping his beak @ me??

• is my B&G trying to be aggressive ?? Hes 8months old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Want to make sure he not trying to bite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

natural4realz

Apr 26, 2009
I have a 8 month old male Blue&Gold who just started doing this tapping or clicking his AT ME. WHY?? Is he testing his boundries ? Like as in a ALPHA-MALE thing ?
I used to have a female Blue and Gold and she never did this and I want to make sure he not trying to bite or thinking about it..
He is a male and I was wondering if this behavior is normal in males or has anyone else seen this before??
Iam nervuos about this.. and I always show that I am not and HE knows that I am MOMMY.. but please inform me ASAP:blue1:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
"tapping or clicking his AT ME."

Could you describe that better? Is he just making a clicking sound with this beak not near you? Is he pecking at you or tapping you with his beak?

I don't know if this is a generally parrot behavior or it is just Auggie but he will get into a mood where he presses his beak against me and makes a click sound. I'm not sure of the full meaning (simulated grooming?) but he does it most when he is happiest and LEAST likely to bite.

Again its hard to say what your guy is doing without knowing more. Is there any pattern to when he does it?

OP
natural4realz

natural4realz

Apr 26, 2009
Well he just started doing this clicking , or tapping his beak togther .. He will do this and be looking at me ... He hasnt done anything but gesture as HE WANTS ME TO SEE HIM DOING this clicking with his beak... Is this normal?? He is a 8 month old male but I have never seen this. And as far as preening me with his beak that not what I was referring to but he does preen me.. hehe
But I hope he not trying to make me think he a BIG BAD BIRD.. How do I find out what this means?
Michelle

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I still can't really tell what you mean. Snapping their beaks when their beak doesn't really open, its more like a really quick short grinding, sounds a lot like a person cracking their knuckles. This generally means they are happy but excited - its not at all aggressive but some bird do bite if they get 'over-stimulated'. If this is what it is I would doubt it is a threat, it is more a sign of affection. Though opening the beak and snapping it shut is quite different and is more likely a warning.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
AD, I bet she is talking about "beak grinding" ...

Natural, this is completely normal behavior and is the sign of a completely content bird.

michaeln

Apr 6, 2009
San Francisco, CA, USA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw "Chico"
AD, I bet she is talking about "beak grinding" ...

Natural, this is completely normal behavior and is the sign of a completely content bird.

That's what I was thinking, but I have a hard time thinking of it as "clicking". Chico does it a lot, and when he is getting ready to drop off to sleep he always does some "slow" beak grinding.... that can be pretty noticeable if he is on my shoulder. But I know it means he is content and relaxed, so it's a happy sound to me.

Avianwebcage

Apr 6, 2009
Parrots
Budgie, 2 Cockatiels, Green Quaker, Sun Conure, Vos Marie Eclectus, and a Double Yellow Headed Amazon.
My conure does this clicking thing with his beak but with a twist. He presses his beak against the bars of the cage and then "clicks" his beak. kind of like he is amplifying the sound. Like yours though, he only does it when I'm around him.

OP
natural4realz

natural4realz

Apr 26, 2009
OK.... In my previous posts, its like what you said with the clamping or slamming his beak opens and shuts it 3 time in a row... its with .. CLICK>>CLICK>>CLICK like he shuts and opens his beak real fast like with 3 short and fast pulses...
I dont know how you dont understand my meaning.. haha

Heres another example... You know when a dentist asks you to open and close your mouth to see the alignment of your teeth ???.... well picture a bird doing this but with his beak.
So what im saying my bird still opens and closes his beak with a quick snapping sound ...at me.. I kind of reminds me of like the bird is touching the top part of his beak to the bottom part ( with the sound of a click click click... He usually does it as he is looking at me or when I am cleaning his cage or even recently he just started doing it when I am giving hime some fruit or ect...

Hes only 10 months old but heres what I am thinking.. DO YOU THINK ITS... because am the one that has to scold him when the other person in the house lets him get away with everything.. IM trying to train him and my room mate is making it impossible and I wondering if My bird is mad @ me due to this.. Thats when it all started. Im very upset about this and want to solve this before it become worse.
I hope this is a little better info .. its just hard to describe on here .. haha
Thank you
Michelle
I still can't really tell what you mean. Snapping their beaks when their beak doesn't really open, its more like a really quick short grinding, sounds a lot like a person cracking their knuckles. This generally means they are happy but excited - its not at all aggressive but some bird do bite if they get 'over-stimulated'. If this is what it is I would doubt it is a threat, it is more a sign of affection. Though opening the beak and snapping it shut is quite different and is more likely a warning.

kswiss095

Sep 4, 2011
diamond bar
Parrots
Sun conure named Kumquat
I have a sun conure who seems to act just like yours and it seems like we share the same problem... im always trying to train my bird while my girlfriend doesnt try to as much as i do. So when i am trying to teach him something he likes to fly to my girl but when i stop, he seems to forgive me easily and will want to play again short after. So i think that your parrot ill continue to like being with u, but u have to know when to stop when he starts to get annoyed. Just make sure u give him treats whenever he does something good and i think he will still be very attatched to u although it might not seem like it at some times. Patience really pays off in the end so keep at it but dont over-do the training when he starts getting aggitated. I hope this will help u out a little and good luck with your little friend! Haha =] nice pic by the way :p

OK.... In my previous posts, its like what you said with the clamping or slamming his beak opens and shuts it 3 time in a row... its with .. CLICK>>CLICK>>CLICK like he shuts and opens his beak real fast like with 3 short and fast pulses...
I dont know how you dont understand my meaning.. haha

Heres another example... You know when a dentist asks you to open and close your mouth to see the alignment of your teeth ???.... well picture a bird doing this but with his beak.
So what im saying my bird still opens and closes his beak with a quick snapping sound ...at me.. I kind of reminds me of like the bird is touching the top part of his beak to the bottom part ( with the sound of a click click click... He usually does it as he is looking at me or when I am cleaning his cage or even recently he just started doing it when I am giving hime some fruit or ect...

Hes only 10 months old but heres what I am thinking.. DO YOU THINK ITS... because am the one that has to scold him when the other person in the house lets him get away with everything.. IM trying to train him and my room mate is making it impossible and I wondering if My bird is mad @ me due to this.. Thats when it all started. Im very upset about this and want to solve this before it become worse.
I hope this is a little better info .. its just hard to describe on here .. haha
Thank you
Michelle
[/QUOfTE]

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I think it's because he is trying to test you. At ten months old, expect him to want to test his boundaries with you. This means getting a little beaky. You are going to get bit some where along the lines and probably sooner than later. But if you do, try not to show any emotion and don't yell out "OUCH". The previous owners of my Eclectus did this and now he thinks it's a game.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
nut does this, its not grinding, sounds very different,

it seems to have a variety of meanings

if my son is about near her, she does this, and if he goes to touch her, she lifts her, beak looks closed, feathers slightly ruffled but she makes the clicking sound, this happens mostly when she is on us. then zap, his got a bite

so this version i think, means your annoying me already, back off

the other is what she does with me or my man,
still clicking but beak opening, sometimes with eye pinning, kinda looks like she wants to be fed, but this one is i am excited to see you, rub my head, beak please, because if you don't i will fly to you an annoy you an perhaps give you a nip for good measure

lastly the closed beak click backed up with a growl, no need to translate this one, she's only ever done this the once, it was when my son was shining a torch at her on an off, the little git, i told him off as she was on me, and he then continued flickin torch on an off from behind door, but she reacted this way as soon as she saw the torch, flick on! full feather fluff and crotched, son thought it was hilarious, she looked like a clicking, growling puff ball, but i've a feelin if he wasn't behind that door, she would have really hurt him

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I don't think this clicking thing your B&G is doing with his Beak is a sign of being an Alpha, or beak grinding, but I think this has something to do with his ear holes iching. My GW after a shower will take if foot and try to scratch his ear hole and shake his head, if this does not work, he then opens his beak and snaps it shut, I gues to vibrate the water left in his ear hole. I tilt his head, take my finger over his ear hole and lightly make a circle and his beak opens every time and sometimes i can feel water come out a little. Try this the next time he performs this act to see if that's what going on here. Joe

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
What's his body language like when he's doing it? Does he look aggressive? Do his eyes pin? Does he ever try to bite you?

Most Reactions

Latest posts