Why look on Craigslist?? Bah!!!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I don't know what possessed me to even look at birds on CL, but I found myself sifting through countless ads... I think it was about 50/50 as far as well-cared for birds vs not so much :/ but still...
I'm not even in "the market" for another bird!! I found a couple AG ads, one a timneh and the others were congos... One was a man's bird but tolerates women, and my first thought was- oh that'd be perfect for hubs! Wait. What the heck am I thinking?! We don't even have the physical space for another bird!!! Maybe when we get settled in our new house... Who knows.

Last edited:

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
I have been browsing bird cages on craigslist. And I have been so tempted by bird ads! A cockatiel in my city in need of a home. Also a parakeet. Both super cheap both come with their cages. I have to keep in mind that I MAY end up with Skittles previous female cage mate if her current owner can't handle her. So I have to keep telling myself that though I want another bird I should wait and be patient for the right bird at the right time. But man are those ads tempting!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ohmygoodness I know!! I saw ads for several different amazons too and kept thinking awwww.. he would be perfect! (even though I thought that about a lot of the ads I saw lol :eek:)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
For years, I have monitored the ads on CL, Ebay Classified, Humane Society, & SPCA. Since I promised my wife no more birds, I had to stop looking. It tears my heart out every day.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I keep staring at the irns siiiiigh.
And the quakers...

I don't have the room though.... nothing larger than Porter...as the bird room is relatively small. Also as per the lease ony appartment.....

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
That's how we ended up with 5 goats, 2 sheep and too many chickens to coat.

Criagslist is like the devil, I tell ya.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
For years, I have monitored the ads on CL, Ebay Classified, Humane Society, & SPCA. Since I promised my wife no more birds, I had to stop looking. It tears my heart out every day.

I have a hard time looking in the first place because I'm such a softy for animals.. I could see myself getting in trouble for ending up with a zoo of adopted animals in my house :eek: I've only had to rehome a few animals in my life and the last one was 10/11 years ago...my first dog- one that was MY baby, not just the family dog. He was such a sweetheart. I regret that decision every day and I still kick myself for it. I hope that I never have to be faced with rehoming an animal ever again.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I keep staring at the irns siiiiigh.
And the quakers...

I don't have the room though.... nothing larger than Porter...as the bird room is relatively small. Also as per the lease ony appartment.....

Get a bigger apartment!! ;P lol

I know how big Quakers are...are IRNs the same size as Quakers? They're not that big... Unless you don't have room for a big cage(?)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Ohmygoodness I'm surprised we don't have a whole farm load of animals already... We have 3 dogs, a cat, 2 birds...then also on the property (but belong to other family members) is a horse, 3 more cats, another dog, and some game fowl.
Hubby wants to get a mini horse, a goat, chickens, a cockatiel, and I think I've heard geese too. Lol.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014

Ohmygoodness I'm surprised we don't have a whole farm load of animals already... We have 3 dogs, a cat, 2 birds...then also on the property (but belong to other family members) is a horse, 3 more cats, another dog, and some game fowl.
Hubby wants to get a mini horse, a goat, chickens, a cockatiel, and I think I've heard geese too. Lol.
Well we got 5 goats for free, as well as the sheep. But I love them all the same! We also bought 2 goats intentionally, and a lot of the chickens were 'laying hens for sale!' To add to our hatchery flock 😜
If we could afford a horse, we'd have one, LOL

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Lol I wasn't out for a bird when I adopted Kenji, I was planning to wait a few years and he was just there and perfect haha

Sometimes I look just because I'm curious, it's pretty sad to see birds who will likely never find a good home. Sometimes I email people with info on the local parrot rescue Mickaboo.

Last edited:

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Hey, mickaboo doubles as mickacoo, a pigeon rescue. Just realized that. Lol.
Hey, it turned out great, huh?

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I keep looking for good breeders around here.. but I can't find any that don't seem a little... iffy.

There IS a petshop that sells parrotlets..

I also ran across a bird by accident on craigslist.. oddly enough looking for furniture.

Heh. Didn't get her though x.x

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I believe craigslist is the true rescue.Goffin left on a 3rd floor from 11to5 then to bed at 8.[he has issues poor guy].Macaws in a dark awful basement no food or water [very underweight when I got them.Nanday conure in a work garage with all the fumes fed crackers [that's it]. My zon in too small a cage no toys. I have yet for a good experience on craigslist . I am so happy I have these birds. Maybe those with bird experience can check craigslist first when they want a bird.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I look at local ads all the time, but have never gotten an animal from them. I have, however, gotten cages.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I can't do it, it just breaks my heart that I can't save them all. :(

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ugh it just pulls my heart strings too hard :/
I think our next bird will be adopted- I wanted to adopt again after Jackie passed away, but hubs insisted on a baby...well, now we have our baby but who's to say I can't adopt again?? I would love to give a bird in need a fabulous home! I need to wait until we're in our new house so I have room.

I do need to find a flight cage for our budgie though, so I actually need to look at some ads he he he

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Ugh it just pulls my heart strings too hard :/
I think our next bird will be adopted- I wanted to adopt again after Jackie passed away, but hubs insisted on a baby...well, now we have our baby but who's to say I can't adopt again?? I would love to give a bird in need a fabulous home! I need to wait until we're in our new house so I have room.

I do need to find a flight cage for our budgie though, so I actually need to look at some ads he he he
Don't feel bad for getting a baby . Mine have taught me a lot about them . I think each experience helps us to understand and care for them better.Im grateful the confidence its given me. I used to be afraid of birds.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Don't feel bad for getting a baby . Mine have taught me a lot about them . I think each experience helps us to understand and care for them better.Im grateful the confidence its given me. I used to be afraid of birds.

Jackie pretty much opened my eyes to the world of parrots. I was extremely intimidated when we brought Jackie home- I felt in over my head and terrified of his can opener of a beak. It is SUCH a rewarding experience though- bonding with them, working with them, and seeing them change and come out of their shell.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I need another bird, like I need a hole in my head...

Unless I win the lottery, and can retire, and had 8-10 more hours a day to spend with them...

Nah... I don't need any more!

Most Reactions