why now?!

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I am leaving my place of work in 7 days. just alittle over a week, and Yesterday we got a Moluccan Cockatoo at work.

I wanna die, I have no Idea the sex, but the bird is in rough shape, his feathers are broken, the beak needs work, the toes on the left are all nubs, the claws on the right foot are either worn down to nothing, or broken and bent in odd directions.

In under 20 minuets I made friends and tried to give him peanut butter, no go, but he/she likes scritches, on the top of the head and along the wing... the feathers are horrable broken, ragged, nothings clipped but the poor bird cant fly in his condition, he did the headbob for me, and I want to call him bob...

I have no job... I have no place of my own.. I have way too many animals as it is but Im dieing inside.. the bird seems to understand me, and noone else can get near, it hisses at everyone else.. I am near tears, my family will never let me have this bird.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
You know to be honest & in the situation your going to be in i really think it's in the birds best interest that it has a Vet visit because from what you describe it's going to take some $$$ to get this poor bird back to some form of health.

You still have 7 days to make a difference & believe me there will be someone out there that would be a great adoptive parent for this bird.

As much as we would love to save them all we really have to think about what is best for the bird.

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
thats just IT, once up for adoption...the bird only costs 50. and it can go to any home approved to have pets, renters, anyone, and though they recommend a visit to a vet, as long as the people have a way of paying for the bird right then, regardless if they have a cage or not, we still have to put on gloves and shove the poor bird in a box so they can take it home... I cant do this.. I am so glad I am leaving.

Edit: and no, I am not taking the bird home, I desided againt a bird earlyer this spring, and depending on if I have a job by next spring, (including money saved up) I may get one next year. but thats IFFY at best. I want my life to be as perfect as its going to get, and that includes a stable job, not like the one I have now.

I posted this a while ago, I am sticking to it. http://www.parrotforums.com/off-topic/10944-no-new-bird.html

Last edited:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I do hope you find a job that is not stressful to you.

I just can't understand why a rescue centre doesn't screen new owners & make sure the birds end up with the right family that truly understands their needs.

I would probably feel the same way.

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
its not a rescue, its a shelter, though I think I am going to leave with a bang and call bird rescue in alaska (forbidden by my superviser to call anyone).

I am not going to let that bird go to a home like the one it came from. its hartbreaking... "bob" does the head bobbing, and does the kisses thing, and enjoys scritches when he edges close enough to the bars that I can do it without loosing a finger....and I learned this all in 30 minuets.

noone else can get close without him hissing. I tried to explain to them how to ask for permission to come closer, but they dont seem to understand and it ends with him spreading his wings and hissing like a cat.

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
Bad news!!! the Owner came back for the poor bird, it was booked in as a stray, and to give you an Idea how messed up she was, she went to the side of the building in front of our bosses window and Pee'd in the grass there! We have a restroom! but the nut refused to use it!

The bird was in such bad shape they were going to get a vet in before it was even ours to work on it... but she came back.. I feel so sorry for the bird.. the womens homeless...

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
This is so sad. D': Not only is the bird in need of help, by the sound of it so is this woman.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Did they give the bird back to her? How do they expect someone that is homeless to care for a bird? That's insane!

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I made a mastake, I told my boss that If they needed me, I could work weekends if she wanted, it was like she was waiting for that, and pounced on me like a snake on a mouse. so now, I may be working Part time, every weekend...... %&#@. oh well, it must mean I am a good worker if shes trying to keep her claws in me.

And Yes, they had to give her bird back to her, its her property, and yes She is Homeless. Thats how they entered her info in the computer.

SUCKS, I would have taken the bird if I knew what was going to happen with it.

PS. I have a new job... as well as this old one, so my life is becomeing more stable.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
(I am assuming that you are working at a shelter; I think I remember you saying this) I would suggest going in on a regular basis until the bird is gone while you are looking for work, and if he is still there when it happens adopt him when your life stabalizes and you are able to provide proper care.

OP
xreinx

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
Yes I do until the 11th, but I have to move on, I am not making enough and I just cant... handle it anymore.. call the poor bird "the straw that broke the cammels back" when they gave the poor bird back to his owner and let her homeless arse walk out the doors and back into the woods across the street.

If the world was a "just" and SANE world, they would have told her no, she cant have the parrot until she provides the animal proper care.

but no, she proved she is the birds owner, so she can take it out into the woods and let it freeze while she sleeps in a tent. no, I cant work there anymore. not until something changes. and it will never change, because under the eyes of the law, a bird is just an animal and animals are properity.

Most Reactions

Latest posts