Why should I feed my parrot Coconut Oil ? The BENEFITS are Amazing!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
There is a subscriber to YouTube ( Angeleyedboidan) with Max,a U2,with over 100k followers,and he uses 'nut oil on Maxs' beaky and feeties and Max loves it and his beak/feet look so soft and shiney,so I picked up a jar for Amy and the Beebs.

Looking at the jar now,it says "one serving" equals a tablespoon (14g's)
I bought " Natures Way,Extra Virgin,Organic" Brand.
It says for one serving,there is 1g of Monounsaturated fat, 14g's of "total"fat and 130 calories per serving.

I will be adding a "serving" to their daily brekky or snack time. how should I serve it??? Heat a teaspoon up until it liquefies and pour it on/into their food,and mix it in? Dip a piece of millet into it for Beebers? Millet is his most fav of treats :D

Seaweed..I want to thank you for the very helpful info!

Jim

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Jim, just put a dollop on the food. You could also melt it and drizzle it over the food. No need to be fancy.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Jim, just put a dollop on the food. You could also melt it and drizzle it over the food. No need to be fancy.

I did just that,Chris :) Amy prefers her food "warm" so I nuke her grub,and I put a tea spoon worth in with all her nummys.
And for BB, I just melted a tea spoon and rolled his millet spray in it,he can't resist millet lol.:grey:

Jim

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Like most things, coconut oil should be used in moderation. It's one of the healthier oils out there, and drizzled over your bird's hot food can be a wonderful enticement to eat food he/she might otherwise avoid. But Kentuckienne is correct. It is by no means some sort of miracle panacea. Like most everything else, too much can be a bad thing. And I definitely wouldn't apply it to any bird's feathers.

I personally melt a little (maybe a quarter to a third of a teaspoon) into each of my ekkies' dinners anywhere between 2 and 7x a week. I use just enough for an accent. I don't bathe the food in it. Benefits in moderation.

Most Reactions