Why We Quarantine!

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
yes i said if the vet said 100% healthy but I also told you it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the vet to tell you right away if the bird is healthy. Point of the whole thread is QUARANTINE ALWAYS!!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Yeah but I posted that before you said you have to. You never said it in the before post(about not quarantinging)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Also are you guys saying that if both birds are 100% healthy that there's not need to quarantine?

I honestly do not know WHERE you read that?

AND YOU STILL HAVE TO QUARANTINE MRSPY! If I could draw you a picture I would. :p

Right here

The only reason I could see not to quarentine is if you got the bird to the vet the moment you got the bird and he/she said there in 100% perfect health.
Posted earlier on the thread. Not looking for a fight, but just wanted to show you where I got the idea.......

Ok lets look at this logically. ;) No vet will ever be able to tell you that your bird is 100% healthy, because nobody in the world will put a bird through ALL that testing. They can do the normal testing that covers a few common illnesses but that still leaves hundreds of other illnesses that the bird is not tested for. That is why we still have to quarantine. ;)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Do you think there should be another quarantine after each vet visit? What if they picked something up there?

That is a very valid question! I think only your vet will be able to answer that question. It can be that he did not see any birds with a contagious disease for the day/week. If he did treat a sick bird then I am sure he will know whether your bird can be at risk and he will have the right advice for you.

I do however believe that the ethical rule would be that the area where a contagious disease was treated would be cleaned thoroughly.

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
Thank you for the answer.

I kind of messed up and didn't quarantine my birds as thoroughly as I should. I have an open floor plan and the only doors in the whole house that don't go to the outside are the bedroom and 1 bathroom(oh and a linen closet). So I set them up in different areas, but they share the same air space and can even see eachother. I guess I could have brought one into my bedroom, but there are 5 altogether :/

I thought just keeping them distant, plus I have air purifiers, and not visiting them all at the same time or sharing bowls or anything would be good enough. Now I'm worried, but it has already been over a month. They came from closed aviaries that hadn't seen a new bird in over 2 years and all seemed very healthy to the eye.

I hope no one gets sick because I didn't realize how important it was :( They are having their checkups now that I've found an avian vet.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I hope no one gets sick because I didn't realize how important it was :( They are having their checkups now that I've found an avian vet.

The key here is that you did not realize how important it was and therefore you are forgiven. The problem is when people are simply ignorant, when they KNOW the consequences and still dont care.

I am proud of you for firstly admitting your mistake and then correcting it with the appointment that you made.;) It takes a strong person to do that!

Lets hold thumbs for them and I cant wait to hear what your vet said. You are clearly a good person and therefore you will most likely only get good news.

Last edited:

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Yeah people who arn't willing to take initiative when there bird is sick or not feeling good really should never have become a bird owner in the first place. Just saying. We once had a dove and so he got a little sick so we took him in and it turned out he did have something, but we were able to get medecine into him and he got better. See what happens when you do something! :D

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Quarantine is not only done to observe the bird and determine that he has no symptoms of disease or that he doesn't develop any (birds get sick when stressed out and rehoming is very stressful to them) and to prevent possible contagion although those two are, most definitely, the main reasons. The other two reasons are that the bird needs time to become comfortable with its new home, schedules, human and other birds PLUS it needs to convert to your own diet and that takes time which quarantine provides.

As to testing for contagious diseases, nobody actually tests for every single thing there is out there. It's hugely expensive and nobody does it. And out of the common diseases, chlamydiosis and Pacheco, for example, require a number of samples collected at different times because birds with chronic forms don't always shed the pathogen so unless a series is done, a single test with a negative result doesn't really mean the bird is clean.

And you can't really trust what you are told. People lie all the time about what they do and don't do to their birds and it doesn't matter if the person you are getting the birds from is somebody you know and trust because this person might have the wrong information, too.

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

Do you think there should be another quarantine after each vet visit? What if they picked something up there?

That is a very valid question! I think only your vet will be able to answer that question. It can be that he did not see any birds with a contagious disease for the day/week. If he did treat a sick bird then I am sure he will know whether your bird can be at risk and he will have the right advice for you.

I do however believe that the ethical rule would be that the area where a contagious disease was treated would be cleaned thoroughly.

But just to be on the safe side do you have to quarantine again? When you get back?

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel

But just to be on the safe side do you have to quarantine again? When you get back?

you would have to ask the vet if they thought so or not but in my opinion it would be best to bring all birds in at once when after the inital quarantine is over just cause it would be a hassle to bring one bird one day then a week later the next and so on

Most Reactions

Latest posts