WHY WHY WHY doesn't anybody do anything!!???

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conures - Jin (male) & Sun (female).
Senegals - Sparky (female), Spike (male).
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Ruby (female)
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Jagermeister (male)
Peach Faced Lovebirds - Eros & Cupi
Hey everyone,

Today has been a day of emotions to the nth degree!
After doing some early morning sundries I decided to pop in at the local pet shop (hardware store come pet shop) - to get to know whats what in the "new" area. Sadly folks....I came across something that made my hair stand up on end...CRUELTY! A Patagonian conure in a 1x1 wooden BOX with rusty front and back wire mesh, and (excuse the language) crap everywhere! Food and water bowls were filled, toys covered; dust, dirt, and goodness knows what everywhere! He/she has been in there for 6months! I didn't care for age, sex etc...just HOW MUCH!
"They" attempted to clip his/her wings...I told them I'll do it myself. The words "if this bird bites me I swear I'll let it go" really got my blood boiling! But I managed to clip successfully and carefully in a QUIET and CLEAN environment!
After taking " Lucky " ( :D ) home...folks, I'm not shy to admit it...I emotionally collapsed! An hour later I went to buy him/her a new cage, new toys and happy to say that Lucky is settling in great!! A bit timid, but wouldn't expect anything less!
Marilize is absolutely nuts over Lucky and he/she seems to take a huge shine to her! :D

Folks, after seeing the attachments below, you will understand why I AM going to report this shop, and currently busy with a letter to the animal anti cruelty orgs (SPCA) to put a stop to this. To be honest...It wasn't so much the shop owners that I was upset with (they guilty none the less), but more the CLIENTELE! What type of heart must you have to ignore this? (hence: "WHY WHY WHY doesn't anybody do anything!!???")

This is the environment before the rescue:
A.jpg
B.jpg

And after the rescue:
C.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg

After such a hectic day...I'm extremely glad I've got an extra member to my (our) family!

:D:D:D WELCOME TO THE FAMILY LUCKY!!! :D:D:D

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
thank you for telling us about lucky and YES DO report the shop, the comment about being bitten is through ignorance, but the conditions they allowed the poor creature to live in is neglect!

i am not sure what the laws governing animal cruelty are in SA and sadly in the UK we have the laws but no-one to enforce them

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i'm so glad you got her! i'm surprised that she was alive in all that filth, definately report the shop!
she is lucky....you saved her life! thankyou xxxxxx

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OMG what shop is this and where? I am so glad you are following through with this and have the bird out of there. How many other birds were there?

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conures - Jin (male) & Sun (female).
Senegals - Sparky (female), Spike (male).
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Ruby (female)
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Jagermeister (male)
Peach Faced Lovebirds - Eros & Cupi
The shop is in Pretoria. This was the only parrot in that shop...there are two ringnecks in shabby cages, but not as bad conditions. I think there was a great deal of fear against Lucky. There are loads of seed eating birds (finches, canaries, doves, pigeons) and budgie, cockatiel etc all in very bad condition cages/aviaries. Snakes, and other reptiles in heating boxes with no heat/light....indigenous chameleons for sale, which if I'm not mistaken is illegal. Totally dodgy! If I had the means I would definitely take them all. But will pursue the letter further :).

A quick update: Lucky has been grooming, eating, giving his/her odd chirp, but loooooves the one kitchen cloth :D. I hung it at the back of the cage...so when Lucky wants a snooze, he/she hides and sleeps under it! LOL

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Steven it is appalling, I know exactly how you are feeling. I am so glad Lucky is with you, being cared for and loved, in a clean environment.
Below is a link, you might be able to get few tips and info, when taking this awful matter further.
Please take whatever steps are necessary, we have to speak for our feathered friends' that cant.

Disgusting FOR A PET SHOP

Del

Feb 9, 2011
West Yorkshire, England
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
those pics are shocking! I cant believe a petstore kept birds in an environment like that?!

So glad Lucky is in a loving home, I hope that store gets what's coming to them.

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Oh my GOSH that first picture was absolutely horrendous! I can't believe people didn't act on it!! Does it really take a rocket scientist to know that something is VERY wrong???? Great job taking Lucky home and giving her a proper cage and new toys!! She sure is lucky!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Im also glad Lucky is with you!!! That's absolutely disgusting!!!!

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Wow...that is absolutely inexcusable. Poor thing, she is appropriately named! Lucky is in fact very lucky that you found her. She is beautiful, and no doubt happier with a good caring home!

I would defiantly make sure to take her to an avian vet to make sure that living in that environment of filth didn't make her sick!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
She must be so much happier in a clean home with a loving parront. That shop should definitely be reported. I know it's hard seeing animals in such bad shape in pet stores but buying an animal from them is only supporting the pet store. It's a tough call: Do you save that one bird from all that filth or do you save other birds by not supporting that store's business? Normally I don't like it when people buy animals from pet stores but it's so hard seeing an animal that is clearly being neglected and abused like in this case.

dcavalier

Nov 23, 2010
OMG! I have been having birds for many years and I am totally disgusted. I have had up to 300 birds at a time and I have never under any circumstances had a bird in such conditions. It's a disgrace to call that place a pet store. Years ago I decided to get into breeding. Over the years I have learned that it's not in me to do it. NOONE will ever take care of my babies the way I do so I have chose to stop breeding. Especially in this economy. People buy birds and don't have the means to keep up their care. It infuriates me to see people mistreat animals. My numbers of birds rose from a few pair as a hobby to 300 birds because of these types of people. I would go places and see the conditions and buy them all. Not only did it get to where I didn't have the space to put them comfortably but I didn't have the finances to keep doing it. I never raised a large number of babies but when I did I couldn't part with them because I was afraid of how they would be treated. Now I have a yard full of pets.

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
Thats disgusting and depressing. I lived in South East Asia for a number of years and worked at the local SPCA there. People there, in general, had such opposite views on the needs of pets compared to me as a westerner. I spent my nights after high school and weekends inspecting homes and cruelty cases. Doesn't matter how many obvious cruelty cases I found (dogs with chains embedded in their necks that had to be surgically removed to cats kept in bird cages (not large macaw cages.. budgie cages) so they wouldn't run away) the government there did little to enforce the rules even after given obvious proof. So I spent a lot of time complaining to newspapers so the story could be published and the people more educated on animal welfare could make a ruckus until it was fixed. After my first visit to a pet store there I never entered one again and bought all my pet food and needs at the vet. If you haven't been to a third world country its not something you could ever imagine or understand. My boyfriends mother lived next to a lady who kept her pet pigeon in a cage the size of a shoe box hung up on the front porch no matter what the weather. I repeatedly asked her why she bothered keeping it and she had no reason (the pigeon eventually 'disappeared' but we wont go into that!) I have horror stories that are not appropriate for the kids on here or I would go on.

I apologize for the rambling but seeing those pictures just brought back memories and make me thankful for all the people who take the effort to properly care for their pets.

Most Reactions

Latest posts