Widget being crazy

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet (Kiwi) and a Pineapple Conure (Widget)
There was a lot of belly scritching in our house today :D

405774_3076071111371_1551529747_32963158_1756381341_n.jpg

404696_3076025470230_1551529747_32963147_1270078761_n.jpg

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
So cute! I love the colorful fluffy belly! Caiques are supposed to play on their backs, but Puck doesn't do it very often.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
When I first got Rowdy I kept reading about how Nandays love to lay on their backs and play, and sometimes new owners get scared and think they are dead. She has never done it, lol!

That's a very cute pic, thanks for sharing!

OP
Kiwidget

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
My neighbor has a Nanday and he loves to play on his back, but he bites the crap out of you while he's doing it! He's being playful, but he's just a really rough bird. We tough it out because it's so adorable. I'd really like a Nanday or Jenday someday, they seem like really neat birds.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
too cute :) pics I keep seeing on here like this make everything I am doing to get ready for my baby worthwhile :)

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Aww that fluffy colorful little belly! I wish my guys would play on their backs :'( my sun does with my boyfriend but not me and my dusky hates being on her back.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Cute pic! Some birds will naturally go on their backs. Others learn to trust you. When on their backs, their most vulnerable parts are exposed. Some need to learn it's okay. Some never do.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
We caught Pearl on her back playing with her cuttlebone.I think it's hilarious.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
As a breeder of conures I see this all the time but new owners get very scared when they see it for the first time. I take pics and post them so they don't freak out! lol I really think it starts when they r young some birds do it all the time and others never do but if u get them use to it young they have no problem with it when they r older. I have to post some pics of the babies doing this. I have 1 of a Pineapple GCC that looks dead (she is not) but she was sleeping that way! lol

OP
Kiwidget

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Like this? lol!

409334_3078472291399_1551529747_32963750_1681644672_n.jpg

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Hahahaha!! That's a great pic! Ugh! I ate too much...

OP
Kiwidget

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
He hadn't even eaten anything, he fell asleep in my neighbor's hand while I was mixing his formula. Crazy little bird. lol

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, that's what scares people, seeing them sleeping on their backs! Wonderful picture, made me laugh, thanks!

My bird takes 3 toys, situates them between 2 perches to make a hammock, and sleeps leaning back against it. She looks like a vampire.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
Yes like that!! The pic is on my phone and I don't know how to post it to here from my phone. Have to figure it out but LOVE the pic!

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I would freak out if I saw my bird like that! He plays on his back, but only when out with me (Loves to lie in my hand while I'm trying to type :rolleyes: typical bird)

My neighbor has a Nanday and he loves to play on his back, but he bites the crap out of you while he's doing it! He's being playful, but he's just a really rough bird. We tough it out because it's so adorable. I'd really like a Nanday or Jenday someday, they seem like really neat birds.

Jendays are neat birds, I can attest to that! Loud and bitey (not meaning to be, Alex just likes to play rough) but neat all the same. Wouldn't trade him for anything! :orange:

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
That is kind of frightening!! Even after talking about it- seeing it, your mind automatically thinks, OH NO!

Interesting though, and thanks for posting. I knew that many birds feel comfortable doing this in your palm. I'm actually working on it right now with Tate, but I wasn't aware that they will actually do this while sleeping.

Most Reactions