Wild Birds

OP
PetoftheDay

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
The turkey are coming by, but as i stopped for a while, they are now more skittish, as they should be, as not a lll humans are bird friends. They still do run toward the seed when I throw it down. The male poults have obviously been chased off, so the numbers are down, and dear Bitsy is still smaller than her sisters. No pictures now, as I said, they are skittish. Still makes me smile to see them, and yes, they did visit for Thanksgiving, and I was having a sad day so I fed them twice.

OP
PetoftheDay

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Aww, I had the sweetest wild bird event yesterday. As before, I put out bird food, and so three different families of goslings (Canada geese) are growing up knowing me and the area off my porch as a good safe spot. They whistle when they arrive, if you have never herd these guys whistle, it is the cutest thing. The youngest of the families is about bantam chicken size right now, and still mostly fluff, the oldest have out half feather and half fluff and about 3/4ths their parent size, they grow so quickly!

Anyway, I have had a very difficult couple of years, since my husband's death, have lost two of his four uncles, a former boss of over 16 years, and my dear mum-in-law is currently dying of lung cancer that is in her bones. The wild birds outside my (no pets) apartment have helped keep me sane.

Yesterday, I was out with my broom, sweeping goose poop off the sidewalk that encircles the building - feeding the birds is strictly forbidden, but as long as there's no poop on the sidewalk, they kinda don't complain. As I was sweeping, the four-chick family was there, and the little ones started approaching me, whistling hopefully! I told them, "Nope, no food here - chore time" and very carefully avoided looking at them. Most people are not goose friends, so I don't want them to get too tame!

But it was so so so so so sweet!

Most Reactions