Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I have a flock of wild Quaker Parrots in my area. We have cracklings, the annoying black birds that are around all the time and I discovered the Quakers because birds were flying around the house last year but their sounds/calls were different. When I looked up I saw they were green and it looked like they were chasing a female. I got so excited!

During early spring I set up a bird feeder in front of my kitchen window and I've kept the feeder full, hoping the entire time that the Quakers would come to my house. About three months ago, I was driving a block away from my house, saw a bird feeder an RV resident had set up and it was full of birds, half of them were green. I pulled off and what do you know, they are Quakers!! This week, I found a green feather under my bird feeder, not my Buddy GCA green, but a lighter green like the Quakers. Again I got excited, I think they've visited but I missed it!!!

My question is, does anyone feed wild parrots and if so what do you put out for them to eat? I put wild bird seed because the cracklings are all over it. I've thought about putting some fresh foods out but will it attract the Quakers or just allow the cracklings to pig out? I've been visiting my kitchen window more often now hoping to see a Quaker. Last time I saw them flying, there were 10-12 flying. I think they stay in the trees in a field which is about two blocks away, the RV resident is between my house and that local. When I leave and come home, I now have to go by that RV Resident to see what birds are eating and about 75% of the time, the Quakers are there. Who can't smile over that!?

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
In the northeast here, Quakers and I believe it's Indian Ringnecks are "illegal" in some states because they're invasive species. Not that it's stopped anyone mind you, lol.

I would think just the standard bird foods would be fine, or those little blocks you can get.

They sell a lot of different types of food here for wild birds and some are on sale, might give you some ideas for different options! I'm picturing you like snow white and the birds right now!
Wild Bird Seed Mixes: Sunflower, Thistle, Songbird Mix, Fruit & Nut Mix, Millet, Safflower, & More

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
The only Quaker here is the one in the living room. :D It would be fun to have naturalized parrots show up at a birdfeeder though. Most parrots like sunflower seeds-- not the healthiest option for our companion parrots, but they could help attract the Quakers to your feeder. My QP Ralph prefers safflower seeds and gets a few every day-- the outdoor QPs might like some too.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Tracey, you are so lucky! There are lots of wild quaker colonies in Texas but I'm too far away from all of them. I keep hoping.

I would pick up one of the higher quality seed mixes. The grackles, I don't know what to tell you about that, if there's free food the grackles always show up.

The wild quakers would probably find your parrots leftovers irresistible.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Oh! I hope they find the food in your yard! I want to see pictures! We have Wild ringneck said in our area, but being that I'm on the 6th floor, I don't have a yard to feed them in :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts