Will he remember me

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Today is Sunday and Chopper, my older Jack Russel terrier has been aadopted out to live one of the Dialysis nurses from the hospital where Im waiting for my transplant. he has been with me since he was born and to say Im sad about it is an understatement. When I go home I will have to have home dialysis every night and no animals will be allowed to sleep in the bedroom with us anymore. Chopper and his son Pando have has issues and now must be seperated at all times, so removing one of the bedrooms from the mix makes life at home impossible for all of us. This lady has been looking for older companion dog for some time and offered to take Chopper to live with her. As usual, when she arrived his behavior was perfect and he hit it off with her, her husband and their small dog brilliantly. It sounds like he going to a fantastic home as they live in the very outer suburbs and it is almost considered the country. They walk their dog on the beach every day. It almost seems too good to be true. I worry that he will pine for us and not behave, but so far so good.( but he has only been gone 90 minutes so far). I will probably get to go home this week when I master my new dialysis machine. I have been in hospital for a month on Wednesday and am looking forward to going home. It seems the 1st 2 weeks were just spent keeping me alive as I had let things go pretty far before admitting defeat. I cant believe how much better I feel now the machine has been doing its magic. I had been so sick for so long I had forgot what feeling well was like. I like it.
The transplant is the next step, and apparently I will feel better again after that, but I find it hard to believe. I have lost a valuable member of the family and thats pretty crappy, but it beats having to put him down, which was the only other option. I will report in soon

Last edited:

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Hey Red, I'm sorry you are going through so much, but I am glad that you are starting to feel better. Chopper will miss you, but you found a great home for him, which is wonderful. Keep feeling better!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ya know mate your life has really sucked over the last month at least. If you were a female, I'd offer you a hug, but since we are real men then I have to offer you the only acceptable form of male sympathy --:smile035::smile035::smile035::smile035: have a pint mate!

Keep your chin up, you can't fight this long, this hard for something amazing not to happen to you!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Red, I'm so sorry that you've had to resort to this step, but you have found him a good and loving home, and thats the best thing, I hope you are soon up and about and feeling so much better than you have been. Good luck to ya. You've really been through it this last month, so glad things are now on the upward side, Get well soon mate. Stay Well.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Red, I'm so sorry that you had to give up such an important member of your family, but I'm so happy to hear that it sounds like he will be living a fairy tale life! That's all we can really ask for once we have to let someone else care for our beloved feathered/furred friends. I hope that you get your transplant soon and can go another 14 years with no worries. My thoughts are with you.

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Im home!
They let me go Today (Monday) but I have to go back each day of the rest of this week for training in using my new Dialysis machine. Today I learned how to do manual bag changes if the machine goes down or the power goes off. Its no different from what I had to do 14 years ago when I got my 1st transplant, so we raced through it and I got out early. I went shopping for a new bed today as I now have to spend 12 hours a day on the machine. they cost a lot!
All being well, I can go back to work in a couple of weeks part time, starting with 2 hours a day I hope. I tend to tire about lunch time still.
I am just lolling about the house at the moment and resting up.
Nothing more to report, but happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edit: I "google earth"ed the address where chopper is now living. Its called wheaton road, McLaren vale. it looks like he is onto a good life. There are only 3 houses on the road, and its a dirt track. He really is living in the country

Last edited:

iluvsamba

Aug 2, 2007
In lala land
Parrots
A Cockatiel named kiwi, and a cockatoo named koko
awwww how is the bird and how is chopper we all hope you feel better now. WE have r hearts in it. :D :headwall: :jumping40: :bunny7:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats brilliant news Red, just remember to rest when you tire and do everything the hospital tells ya, you'll soon be up and about in no time. I'm glad that your back home.

Has Skippah forgiven you yet? He won't stay mad at ya for long, he loves his Dad. :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
He is a bit plumper and seems to notice that I am back.
He has been very gentle with me so far and last night he started calling out to me when I left the room. He does now also pine for Debbie when he knows she is home and now also calls out for her too. About 9pm last night he went off while I was in the room coz he just decided he wanted to be preened by me. Then he did something I havent seen b4 .He started flying from room to room, for no other reason than it seemed like a good idea. He flew into the lounge room and marched up and down the pelmet a few times,then flew back to his perch, even though I didnt move from the PC. He repeated this 3 or 4 times before settling back on his perch. Its good to see him doing something that involves excersize.
He still only likes seed, but this Morning I will make some Wheatbix with warm milk for him after seeing it used in another post. Its 6.30am and I am taking the dog for a walk b4 I go into hospital for the day for Dialysis training.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is great news, When you feeling up to it, maybe we could have some more pics of him.

Good luck with the Dialysis training.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Red, again you and Debbie and your family continue to be in my thoughts. I am sorry that you have had to find an adoptive family for Chopper; on the bright side, it sounds like he is going to a wonderful home ... full of love and compassion.

You keep doing what the docs tell ya to ... rest when you need, and often. Don't push yourself as that just prolongs the recovery process.

It was nice to hear that Skippah had a nice jaunt about ... I am sure he is more than overwhelmed with glee to have you around anytime you are able.

My best to you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts