WI'll my cat bond with my bird or not kill it if I hatch and rear it?

Thecaiquegirl

Aug 1, 2016
I have emailed a exotic egg supplier and planning on hand rearing my own caique with kaytee exact and wonder will my cats not kill it if they see it hatch and notice it as my own "child" as I feed it?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
First, I would not buy an egg...it is so important for a bird to be parent raised for at least a time after hatching. Not to mention, no reputable breeder would sell an egg, and most are scams.
Even if you did raise a baby bird from an egg, that does not change the act that cats are predators...they will always have that predator instinct.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'll try to answer your questions as precisely as possible, as the overall framing of your post is frankly alarming.

Most if not all exotic egg suppliers are scams. They frequently appear as spam with new member posts. If you can document a valid organization, please let us know as this would be newsworthy. Properly hatching and hand-feeding a chick is as much art as science, fraught with peril for all but the most experienced. Far better IMHO to acquire from a rescue, private party, or breeder who will properly wean a hatchling.

Interactions between cats and birds are almost always lethal for the feathered victim. Certainly there are some examples of folks willing to allow contact between the species, however most of us respect both sets of companions and keep them rigidly separated. A newly hatched bird is terribly vulnerable, while the cat may exhibit jealousy and seek to devour the unwanted interloper in one gulp.

Please keep us advised of your progress!

OP
T

Thecaiquegirl

Aug 1, 2016
Well the guy is on weiku a global trade website and it comes in an automatic incubator and a guide & cd to hand rearing. ill supervise with my cats.i guess its true to never trust a cat, thanks :)

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Hi & welcome to the forum.
Your original question inquiring if a handraised bird could be seen as your child from a cats perspective rather than dinner leads me to believe you don't have experience raising baby birds and may very well have limited experience with parrots in general. Obviously I may be mistaken I am only going by your initial question.

You received some excellent advise in the posts above but based on your last post you seem undeterred although I'm glad to see the cats will be supervised & not trusted :)

I wanted to point out a few statements made above since to me they came across as very insightful.
... it is so important for a bird to be parent raised for at least a time after hatching.
Not to mention, no reputable breeder would sell an egg, and most are scams.

I too think it's important to consider the baby birds well being as Terry has stated.
A very important word here is "reputable". You may have found someone on a mail order site to sell you eggs but that doesn't mean it's not a scam & even if it isn't - what reputable breeder would sell the eggs?

Most if not all exotic egg suppliers are scams.
Properly hatching and hand-feeding a chick is as much art as science, fraught with peril for all but the most experienced. Far better IMHO to acquire from a rescue, private party, or breeder who will properly wean a hatchling.

Again .. most would agree very likely a scam.
But lets just say for a second you are sent a fertile golden egg & it includes said guide & cd to hand rearing a baby bird as you stated.

With all due respect do you think you'll learn from a guide/CD what many breeders dedicate their lives to perfecting... like Scott said above there is a lot of peril involved if not properly hatched, feed properly, weaned etc. etc.
it's not something to be entered into without experience, a good mentor, vet etc..

If you are set on this course I really hope you find a local avian vet to guide you and help you out of any emergency you may well find yourself in.

My advice for what it's worth is the same as Scott gave .. "acquire from a rescue, private party, or breeder who will properly wean a hatchling"
You will gain so much from rescuing a parrot but if you are set on a young one then a reputable breeder will be able to provide you with a well weaned, socialized (parent raised/handraised) youngster.

The stakes are high if you end up in over your head.

Just my 2 cents worth.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am struggling to find a reality in this. An International Trader will send an egg in an 'Automatic Incubator.' So, I guess that this devise adjusts temperature and correctly turns the egg during the time that the egg is in this device, correct. This would require a micro PLC, a device that turns the egg, the heating coils to maintain temperature and a battery pack. So, including the cost of the egg and the cost of Air Freight this will all arrive at your location for three easy payments of $ 19.99.

Not sure that this 'package' would make it though TSA!

Screams Scam, but that just me! Also screams of something else, but that's not for a member to determine!

OP
T

Thecaiquegirl

Aug 1, 2016
I am struggling to find a reality in this. An International Trader will send an egg in an 'Automatic Incubator.' So, I guess that this devise adjusts temperature and correctly turns the egg during the time that the egg is in this device, correct. This would require a micro PLC, a device that turns the egg, the heating coils to maintain temperature and a battery pack. So, including the cost of the egg and the cost of Air Freight this will all arrive at your location for three easy payments of $ 19.99.

Screams Scam, but that just me! Also screams of something else, but that's not for a member to determine!
it wasnt 19.99 it was 45 bucks

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

That's great since my price was nearer to sixty bucks. Good Luck!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Well the guy is on weiku a global trade website and it comes in an automatic incubator and a guide & cd to hand rearing. ill supervise with my cats.i guess its true to never trust a cat, thanks :)

If interested, I do sell bridges on the side, a bit pricey, but you do collect all tolls! Most of my clientele is of shore, but I can make exceptions! This may be a perfect fit!

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP

Do yourself a favor and save at least $43 bucks .. go buy a dozen eggs @ the supermarket... keep em nice & warm, turn as needed and wait for a Caique to hatch.
I say this because you'll have the same odds as you would of the $45 all inclusive Caique egg, auto incubator, cd & guide kit hatching you out a Caique.

I don't like to see anyone taken advantage of or scammed but your responses are kinda making it clear you need to learn valuable life lessons the hard way.

If you are really hooked on hatching something - I hear Sea Monkeys make fun pets or growing plants from a seed is a great hobby & they are even cat friendly

Good luck to you

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Okay, I actually got up and out of bed to get to the computer to post this. Going to quote myself here from the last time a similar question was brought up.

Going to be a debbie downer here.

No reputable breeders will sell eggs. It's a very unsafe practice and although it's commonly done with chickens, they produce eggs so quickly that it's irrelevant if a few are infertile or don't survive shipping. Because most parrots only lay eggs once a year, and lay small amounts of eggs (an average of 3-6 depending on species) with sometimes only one that's fertile.

The other big factor is shipping, even if they're freshly laid, they can break or be damaged through shipping, and also there's a loss of heat and development time, and no guarantee that they're even fertile, or the species that you paid for.

Also relevant information if you plan to get a very young bird.
Hazards of buying an unweaned baby!

tldr; You're probably buying expensive chicken eggs.

Nigelsmybaby

Apr 7, 2017
Caique's and cats, dogs really don't think that's a good idea at all I have 2 cats but they have their own space in the house and my baby is in totally different space. Never in the same room or area

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
OP, you are being scammed. Its that simple.

ANd parrots and cats are never a good mix. Do people do it? Yes, and sometimes the parrot lives. But there is always the chance that it will not, resulting in the parrots death. And you will never hear about those, because owners are heartbroken and mortified that they did not listen to the good sense that most will offer. Cats are predators. Parrots are prey. Despite the cutesy videos on Youtube.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
My cat likes to watch my birds but that's about it. I let them trot around on the floor and have never had to intervene between them.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I'll add my 2 cents to the chorus: You are being scammed.
And cats kill birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts