Will This Cage Work For An Alexandrine??

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
So in my last post about Alex's I got to discussing with a few of you the size cage I will need. I'm beginning to realize it needs to be a lot larger then I thought. LOL! This was my Savannah's old cage from her previous home. Will this work? I will have it powder coated again but thought it would be a great way to refurbish this old cage as it's made very well!

It measures 30" deep, 44" Tall & 41" Wide. It does have 1" bar spacing. My only concern is the bar spacing may be too big. Thoughts?

IMG_20160721_111255608.jpg

IMG_20160721_111302882.jpg

IMG_20160721_111619599.jpg

maverickbull

Jun 18, 2016
Bangalore, India
Parrots
Alexandrine (hulk)
IRN (honey)
CAG (red)
The cage looks perfect... you should use this.

cage spacing - I won't worry about it. Hulk (my alex) has never put his head between the cage and his bed-room is a customized large dog cage. He spends a lot of time outside the cage so that could also be a reason for his head not coming out between the spaces :) I see you're used to birds so I guess you will have your Alex out of the cage most of the times.

Perch - I saw your blog and the perches in this cage seem a little big for the Alex. You may wanna get a smaller perch also.

Have fun... Do post pics of the cage once you've powder coated it.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
The cage looks perfect... you should use this.

cage spacing - I won't worry about it. Hulk (my alex) has never put his head between the cage and his bed-room is a customized large dog cage. He spends a lot of time outside the cage so that could also be a reason for his head not coming out between the spaces :) I see you're used to birds so I guess you will have your Alex out of the cage most of the times.

Perch - I saw your blog and the perches in this cage seem a little big for the Alex. You may wanna get a smaller perch also.

Have fun... Do post pics of the cage once you've powder coated it.
Thank you for the feedback! I was hoping this would work! As for the perches, those are for my macaws. I will definitely be switching them out! ;) There huge! Lol!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The true test is to physically measure the width of your Alexandrine's face.

The widest part of a Parrot's face is at or just below the eyes, than tapering forward to the front of the beak. NOTE: Measurement does not include the eye since they will compress. The goal is to be about 3/16" less than the widest point of the Parrots face.

For any number of reasons, a Parrot will stick its head though the bars 'if possible.' If you are not there when it happens, it is possible for the parrot to hang itself.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Xander's cage has 1" bar spacing and he can't get his head through, his head is much wider. That cage would be perfect with a new powder coat, as long as your new Alex doesn't have a small head:)

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
The true test is to physically measure the width of your Alexandrine's face.

The widest part of a Parrot's face is at or just below the eyes, than tapering forward to the front of the beak. NOTE: Measurement does not include the eye since they will compress. The goal is to be about 3/16" less than the widest point of the Parrots face.

For any number of reasons, a Parrot will stick its head though the bars 'if possible.' If you are not there when it happens, it is possible for the parrot to hang itself.

The problem is I won't know the size of his/her head until I have them. So if I get this cage powder coated and can't use it, that would be a bummer. Maybe a new cage would be best with the recommended 3/4" bar spacing. :/ Thanks for the info on how to measure!!

Xander's cage has 1" bar spacing and he can't get his head through, his head is much wider. That cage would be perfect with a new powder coat, as long as your new Alex doesn't have a small head:)

Yeah, that is the problem. I won't know until I get him. As I said above, it may be worth just getting a new cage. :/

Last edited:

Most Reactions