willed a blue front

Caillaech

Aug 4, 2013
Parrots
Lapis Lazuli Quaker parakeet Maximus blue fronted amazon
I was willed an 18 yr old blue front that has never really been handled he flirts with approching me and isn't overly agressive but is there anyyI hope of being able to handle him of not I'm still keep him weather or not because I made a commitment to him but it would be nice if I could touch him but I don't want to make him wourse

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

There is plenty of hope that your new family member will grow quite fond of you. ;)

Just give him plenty time to thoroughly adjust to his new home. Amazons are quite resilient, and many take a move into a new home in stride. Now I'm not saying that he'll be giving you kisses tomorrow, but I truly believe you can become good friends.

Was he a touchy feely bird in his previous home? Meaning, do you know if his previous guardian was giving him physical interaction such as head scratches, etc?

Even if the answer is "no", in time he may learn how good head scratches feel. :)

Take it a day at a time, talk to him until you're blue in the face. Quietly, calmly, lovingly. Then offer him some goodies by hand and see how he does.

And lastly, feel free to ask as many questions as come to mind. :)

OP
Caillaech

Caillaech

Aug 4, 2013
Parrots
Lapis Lazuli Quaker parakeet Maximus blue fronted amazon
Thanks for.the hope and the first owner played with him the second was scared of him so he wasnt touched for 7 years and got away with anything the minute he made any approch with an open beak she ran away I've handled conures and Quakers for ever but this guy is the.biggest iv ever self with so I wasn't sure about the differences I read up on them but never spoke to anyone with first hand experence with them

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Yes there is hope.
I got my DYH amazon from a sanctuary, his original owner had passes and his son couldnt handle the bird so he went to a rescue. Now he was close to the original owner but hadn't stepped up or been hamdled much for 3 years. It took a little bit, but he is my best buddy. Establishing. trust is of the utmost importance. Also do not be afraid of him, he will sense it. That doesnt mean to be stupid, control your interactions. The best bite is the one you didnt get.
Food goes a long way with bonding with an amazon, they are true foodies. There is a lot of info in the old posts, read up and good luck. Lots of people here willing to help.

Most Reactions