Willie brought me to tears tonight.....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We were watching tv with the dogs and we heard loud banging noise and flopping. Willie was freaking out and screaming....I left some stainless steel chains in his cage, he have chewed the wood off the chains but there's new ones on the other chain. Somehow his wing was caught in the chain and he started freaking out and he clamp his toes on the sides of the cage and he started biting his toes furiously. He was in total shock and won't let go the sides of the cage. I opened his cage doors quickly and his right foot would not let go of things and completely lost control. Finally got him out and he flew across the floor and Alexis went on top of him and I screamed at Alexis grabbing her by the tail to get her off of him. I covered Willie with my body while my partner put the dogs up. I had to coax him to get him to calm down. I talked to him, petted him, held him close to my chest and told him I was sorry and my tears just kept running. If something were to happen to him I would of been in really bad shape. After half an hour of coaxing he was back to his old self. I give him an Almond and he ate it. Started screaming hell with the back door open, he does it when the back door is opened, I told my partner Willie is back to his old self. It about scared me half to death. Alexis didn't hurt him but she could of, they grew up together but with a flopping bird and dog's hunting instinct, she went after him. But I know with any other birds, she would of killed it in a heart beat as I've seen her done it outside. I'm just glad he's ok.....

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Oh gosh Mikey!!!!!!!!!!! What a horrible experience :(

I am SOOO glad Willie is ok! The poor thing!

These things happen though, darn birds! haha

Alexis is a very good girl, another dog could of just bit right into him, so she behaved!

He is already back to his old self! hehe Brave boy! ;)

Give Willie extra cuddles from me!!! and a big hug for you, imagine it would of been just as scary for you!! :)

Last edited:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh my word, what a terrifying story!! So glad it ended well for everyone.

These birds will give us heart attacks, I'm sure! ;)

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Oh my God. Thank god you were home when your bird had the problem! I am so glad he is ok.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
What a nightmare! Those damn chains! After hearing so many horror stories about them any toys I get with a chain I shorten to only one or two links. Thank goodness you were home.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: Oh Mikey, my heartbeat sure went through the roof as I was reading of Willie's adventure. :eek:

I'm SO SO happy and relieved he's all right! Please give your blue chicken a big hug from me, too, ok? :)

AND one for you....from me!!!! What a scare that was.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh wow, Mikey! You did really well to keep your cool and know exactly what to do for Willie! Anyone else would probably have just stood there in amazement, but you managed to save Willie from Alexis, and Alexis from doing a terrible thing. Well done!!!

I hope your poor heart has stopped racing and Willie is chilling out after all the kerfuffle. How's his foot? No lasting damage? Plenty of almonds should do the trick. LOL! Hugs to you and your partner for rescuing Willie so cleverly! :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
You were very lucky this turned out well. There are so many times that these things turn out badly. I'm thrilled Willie is doing fine. I tend to look at the holidays as Murphy's Law, "What can go wrong, Will go wrong". So when things go right, it's a pleasant surprise and possibly even a Christmas miracle.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
WOW,,,that is strange...and I am SO RELIEVED that he is OK!! you were lucky

..remember...NO CHAINS!!!...or at the very least cover them up again with more blocks.

I am sorry, I certainly don't mean to rub it in....I know you adore all of your birds and would do anything for them....so please.....go cover those chains up so it will give you some peace of mind knowing your bird is safe.

My only wish would be that people would understand how DANGEROUS chains are!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank goodness Willie is ok and that you were there to save him:) A real Christmas miracle and I am so happy for you all!

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Trish, his foot is fine after he calmed down. I looked over and over rubbing his toes. He about give me an heart attack. He was back to yapping this morning. Everytime he gets scared he wants to be near my chest and huddle close together. We spent the last 10 years together, he was given to me by my partner as my birthday present.

Crimson, yes removing chains!!!!! He had it for so many years without issues as he likes to swing it around.

Thanks everyone, he's doing good today. Willie is my baby, don't matter on the naughty stuffs he does or hormonal period craziness, I love him regardless. That would be my Christmas present is that he is ok!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I had goosebumps reading this post
Fearing the worst

Thank God Willie is okay and your kept your cool Mike

Glad it had a happy ending

Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Larry Bird" Quaker, 12 years
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
"Duke" B&G Macaw 22 years
"Pepper" GW Macaw 6 years
Omg I'm so sorry, but glad he's back to normal. I'm sure you feel like a cat that lost one of his 9 lives. Hope yourChristmas will be much better

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I never realized chains were an issue. Guess I haven't been around here long enough. I have 3 plastic chains but on the java stand. They are plastic if that is safer??

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I never realized chains were an issue. Guess I haven't been around here long enough. I have 3 plastic chains but on the java stand. They are plastic if that is safer??

I don't think it's any safer if they can get caught in it. Willie always have liked the chains and he plays with them by swinging them around over and over so that's why I leave them. He's had them for YEARS and never had this issue before.

Today he's back to his old self while I'm cleaning cages, he does what he always do, climb on top and look down on me cleaning. When I'm done, he climbs back inside on his own then want treat. So I give him an Walnut....I feel used....lol :11:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
...... When I'm done, he climbs back inside on his own then want treat. So I give him an Walnut....I feel used....lol :11:

Oh boy....I can SO relate to the part I bolded. ;)

I'm so so glad that Willie is his spunky and ornery self again. :D

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yea he's back to his old self all right, he knows how to get to the paper in the tray even though there's a grate between it. He's been shredding papers, calling out to the dogs, screaming with the back door open, partner walks by his cage he lunges, yapping his beak off, etc. Yea he's back to his old self. Checked on his toy situation today making sure everything is safe. We've decided to get him a taller cage even though his cage is pretty spacious, but not tall enough. So we can hang toys that's high enough.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
So happy to hear that Willie is back to his normal self. What a scare. I think you handled the situation very well, especially when it was so stressful. Great job Mikey!

Most Reactions

Latest posts