Wing clipping advice

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
For members who have full flighted birds - how do you keep them from flying into your windows? My Dexter was semi-clipped when we brought him home, some feathers were trimmed, so I thought he would be safe, but those clipped were not enough to keep him from flying into the windows. He did it more than once and I was SO scared that he might hurt himself, that I let my husband take him and have his wings clipped some more. I have a large house and would love to allow him to fly, but I have many large windows (some very high and floor to ceiling in my sun room) and it would be impossible for me to cover them all to discourage window strikes.

Even though my home isn't overly large, some of my flight crew HAS 'met' the windows - both while they were clipped and unclipped. It can be VERY scary! Even though I had taken the time and introduced the windows to every single one of my fids (often and repeatedly), when they spook and take off in a hurry, 2 of mine have crashed against my big window facing the front.

My Niko (B&G) gave me such a scare doing this once, I promptly clipped him (lightly). Well, that was a mistake, as the second time he had a freight, he was a whole lot less able to control his flight motion than when he was fully flighted, and the second impact was worse than the first. :eek:

I don't think it's necessary to cover every single window in your house. Show your fid where the windows are, let them tap them with the beak. Window decals may also help. :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
As far as the windows go - that's a very good question. Not sure my solution would work for you - but it has for me. I use venetian blinds which works wonders in preventing them from hitting the window. Though there have been times where I've had them completely up.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
We have shears over our windows. We also have one hanging in the hallway leading to the front door to prevent accidentally escapes out the front door. It hangs from a tension rod. It looks a little silly, but the extra precaution is worth it to me.

As far as ceiling fans go there's nothing that makes you turn them on. We don't use ours.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
Are you aware that a 'properly' clipped bird can STILL hit the fans, and/or could escape through an open door? Sure, they lose some altitude, but accidents can still happen, unless, of course, the bird's flights have been butchered, and the bird simply drops to the ground upon attempting to take flight. And that sort of clip is quite hazardous as the bird could easily fracture the keel upon impact.

Additionally, a clipped bird can also crash into a window and break its neck.

Fully aware of that. Clipping is meant so that the bird doesn't get too high up/far away. This really is up to the OP as to whether or not they can get screens on their doors and windows. Also a flighted bird can crash into a window as well. I've seen that happen as well. I'm personally indifferent on clipping and I go between clipped and flighted depending on bird and how jumpy the bird is. This is a debatable topic and personally I don't think there is a right or wrong general answer. Just a right time for a bird to be flighted and a right time for the bird to be clipped.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
As it has been pointed out, it's important to remember that just because a bird is clipped, it doesn't mean you can let your guard down and everything will be safe.

With a properly clipped bird, they are still not necessarily going to sit there as a 4 legged animal would. It's also important to realize that birds who accidentally get clipped too short, many times can still get airborne surprisingly well, especially in birds who had been allowed to properly fledge or ones who have previously been flighted. They will still have the natural reflex for flight, and the muscle condition to make it somewhat possible.

Another point to consider when clipping, is a clipped bird (and one who has the instincts to fly) might end up on the ground quite often too. If they are not large and brightly colored, that can be a hazard to getting stepped on as well. Even more dangerous if there are many people in the house.

I can truly see both sides. In the 20+ years I've had birds, I have both clipped and left flighted. I absolutely loved having my larger birds flighted, and it worked out well for those particular individuals. As the flighted group thinks, yes I do think it's ideal. However, my home and everything has changed since those times, and my current birds are clipped for reasons unique to the current circumstances and particular individuals for the forseen part of the future anyway.

We should never judge, but realize that everyone's home particulars and birds are absolutely individual and unique.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
As it has been pointed out, it's important to remember that just because a bird is clipped, it doesn't mean you can let your guard down and everything will be safe.

With a properly clipped bird, they are still not necessarily going to sit there as a 4 legged animal would. It's also important to realize that birds who accidentally get clipped too short, many times can still get airborne surprisingly well, especially in birds who had been allowed to properly fledge or ones who have previously been flighted. They will still have the natural reflex for flight, and the muscle condition to make it somewhat possible.

Another point to consider when clipping, is a clipped bird (and one who has the instincts to fly) might end up on the ground quite often too. If they are not large and brightly colored, that can be a hazard to getting stepped on as well. Even more dangerous if there are many people in the house.

I can truly see both sides. In the 20+ years I've had birds, I have both clipped and left flighted. I absolutely loved having my larger birds flighted, and it worked out well for those particular individuals. As the flighted group thinks, yes I do think it's ideal. However, my home and everything has changed since those times, and my current birds are clipped for reasons unique to the current circumstances and particular individuals for the forseen part of the future anyway.

We should never judge, but realize that everyone's home particulars and birds are absolutely individual and unique.

Thank you for acknowledging that.

OP
sammmy

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
Hatched November 26, 2013
As an update to this old post, we did end up clipping his wings and worked on retraining. Since then his feathers have grown back and we have kept him fully flighted and just take safety precautions when he is out and about.

Most Reactions

Latest posts