Wing is bleeding constantly!!!! Help asap

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014
my friend has a IRN and its wing is BLEEDING he says its not stopping and he tried to put pressure but it isn't stopping!!!

what should he do????

OP
P

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014
he trimmed the birds wing but he said he did it correct so idk why its bleeding!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
First, get some corn starch or flour and dust the wing with it RIGHT AWAY. If you can, press this into the wing.

Now, where is the bleeding coming from? Is it from a feather, or from flesh? If it is from a feather, get pliers or tweezers and pluck the feather. If it is from flesh, you need to get your bird to the vet RIGHT NOW! Even if it was just a feather, you still need to take your bird to the vet once it is plucked. Blood loss is very dangerous.

How did this happen exactly?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please tell your friend to locate exactly where his/her bird is bleeding from. If he/she cut into a blood feather, the feather may need to be pulled out completely.

IME a healthy bird will clot up after a while. Cornstarch may also be tried on the affected area.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Did he clip a blood feather? If the corn strach doesn't stop the bleeding then you might have to pull the feather and then apply more corn starch. Pulling the feather is not easy if you haven't done it you should find someone who has . of course if the bird is going to bleed to death then you might need to pull it yourself. let us know if you need more help.I'll check back in on this thread.

OP
P

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014
the bird removed the feather....or it fell off.......and my friend gave her food.

she didn't loose so much blood which is good :)

should he still take her to the vet?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Probably not. The friends should keep an eye for signs of infection but if she didn't loose much blood, it's fine. I accidentally clipped my birds talon to short one day and boy did it bleed. I felt so bad:( But he was ok. I gave him some apple and then he was REALLY ok:D

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Clipping wings can be dangerous which is why only somebody experienced or a vet should do it it's real easy to mess up and cut a blood feather. When I was visiting Riley the breeders told me she broke a blood feather a few days before so of course they had to pull it out. But they can be dangerous.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Anytime when you clip a bird's wings you HAVE to observe for blood feathers before clipping. If your friend don't know what to look for, it is best left to professionals to have it done!

Peepers

Jul 16, 2014
Wow I was gritting my teeth on that one, so very happy it worked out. ALWAYS have corn starch on hand, it works great.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Tell your friend to buy Kwik-stop (I'm not sure how it's spelled) so she would have something at hand in case of bleeding. If she clipped herself she should have checked if there were any blood feathers. I usually spend quite a bit of time checking before I dare to clip - I'm paranoid about accidentally clipping a blood feather. The blood feathers are pretty easy to see.

OP
P

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014
the IRN hates my friend now because he made her bleed...:(

i guess he has to re-tame her again :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's no excuse to rehome as trust can be regained as he would just have to do some training and reassurance. If that's an excuse to rehome, there would be lots more homeless parrots around. If he feels that way, animals aren't for him....

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
White Cap Pionus "Snoopy"
That's no excuse to rehome as trust can be regained as he would just have to do some training and reassurance. If that's an excuse to rehome, there would be lots more homeless parrots around. If he feels that way, animals aren't for him....

I think Parrotblue said "re-tame" not "re-home":)

Most Reactions