Winter months

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
Any advice on how to keep my budgies warm during the winter, they're upstairs in my house so its the warmest place but since it's an old house it still gets pretty cold

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
best advice I can offer quickly would be to crank the thermostat up a little bit, try to keep them in a room with as little drafts as possible, Get a draft excluder for the door and also to get some sealant and check for any cracks near the windows (especially the windowsill)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Check out the Sweeter Heater on Amazon, is a radiant heat panel and hangs outside the cage, I've used one for 17 years. Be careful in a small cage it covered you could over heat them.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Whats the temperature in the house? My house is kept at 65 degrees and it has never affected the fids. And don't forget,hot air rises,so if your guys are kept upstairs and out of drafts and away from windows I don't think you'll have a problem.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Another suggestion for "spot heating" is an oil-filled electric radiator. I have one in the garage for my flight cages on the coldest nights. Electric coils heat sealed chambers so there are no fumes.

Example:
61V5KvnKFZL._SY879_.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Another suggestion for "spot heating" is an oil-filled electric radiator. I have one in the garage for my flight cages on the coldest nights. Electric coils heat sealed chambers so there are no fumes.

Example:
61V5KvnKFZL._SY879_.jpg

I also had one of those "Amish" electric "fire places" in my living room. Not only did it warm the room it kept the fids toasty and was inexpensive to run.

Jim

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
All great advice given so far. We also have an old, drafty house and keep it at 67-68 degrees al winter long. I do also have a heater near the cage (mostly I use it) but it also helps the room stay warm. It is a Honeywell plug in heater.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017

Example:
61V5KvnKFZL._SY879_.jpg

Yes I use one of these with my indoor birds in winter! Although it doesn't get TOO cold here in South Africa , houses aren't really designed for cold so it can get pretty chilly inside without heat. In the outdoor aviary we use a heat lamp, and plastic covers that can be pulled down to protect from weather (it rains here in winter). My birds have been totally fine in both of these circumstances!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I actually have two of the "plug-in radiators" in the walk-out floor of my house where the walk-in aviary is that houses my 8 Budgies. It's a split-level house, so the walk-out level is connected to the garage that is built under the house, and that "floor" of the house is actually under ground in the back, while the front is street-level, so it does get quite cold...I have a great wood-stove and a real chimney in the "foyer" of that floor, but I don't burn it without closing the door to the aviary room due to the possibility of smoke. And even though that room has 2 long baseboard heaters in it, it still gets cold because it's technically "half underground". So actually if I keep the thermostat for the baseboards at 65 degrees F and then run the two portable "radiators" like the above photos, they keep the room toasty and I don't need to burn the wood-stove. They work great and are totally safe, you don't have to worry about Teflon or any toxic "fumes" at all..

Most Reactions

Latest posts