Wire Mesh for the outdoor Aviary?

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I am thinking to (finally) build an outdoor walk-in aviary for my fids.
All "safe" mesh material is just so expensive.
Is there anything besides SS that is safe?
Did anyone here on this forum came up with a reasonable solution to have a safe and not so expensive wire mesh for the aviaries, please.
I want to build it adjacent to the house (brick wall with a window) so I can let my birds into the aviary without taking them outside by just opening the window from inside the house. I guess I'll be saving some mesh material this way as I will need just 3 walls of the aviary.
Any suggestion or advise will be appreciated as I am getting ready to start planning the size and material, please.

Dec 23, 2013
Hi...the wire mesh that the bird rescues use (in this area) is called GAW...galvanized after welding..a little hard to find and the minimum is 100' foot rolls...it comes in various sizes...but still 48" wide by 100' long ..I bought a roll used half and after a few months sold the other half on Craigs list....my understanding is that mesh from Lowes and the like is caustic to birds because the coating flakes off too easily and zinc poisoning is possible...good luck with your project..Bill

Most Reactions