Withholding food to make a bird tame?

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
What is the best way to tame an aviary raised Rosella or Ringneck? Would withholding their food so that they can associate me with their food make them more relaxed towards me?

What I am trying to say is, will the bird eventually come to accept me and associate me with their food so that they will become tame?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you were planning to trick or target train your bird, withholding food for a SHORT time (30 min) would be ok. More than that would be mean and not good for the bird.

Offering a special treat from your hand or fingers is a good way to tame a bird; you’re showing him that you are a nice person who shares their food. Or that they can obtain these special treats only from you/ your hand.

OP
S

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
If you were planning to trick or target train your bird, withholding food for a SHORT time (30 min) would be ok. More than that would be mean and not good for the bird.

Offering a special treat from your hand or fingers is a good way to tame a bird; you’re showing him that you are a nice person who shares their food. Or that they can obtain these special treats only from you/ your hand.
What in the world are you talking about?! No bird will accept the treat in my hands. All they do is fly away when I approach them!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
If you want a touchable, cuddly pet bird soon after you purchase the bird, you need to buy a hand raised baby.
That being said, parent raised babies can still be quite tame and cuddly after a bit. For example, my 3 budgies were all aviary raised. The girls seem to be more OK with touching and kissing, and Picasso is flat out cuddly. My little guy is also OK with touch if it's calm and controlled, although it took him more time to get used to it. So aviary birds can TOTALLY be cuddly, and so can some parent raised birds, especially if they've chosen you!

I know OP may not even read this, but just FYI if they do (and if any guests see this).

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
That being said, parent raised babies can still be quite tame and cuddly after a bit. For example, my 3 budgies were all aviary raised. The girls seem to be more OK with touching and kissing, and Picasso is flat out cuddly. My little guy is also OK with touch if it's calm and controlled, although it took him more time to get used to it. So aviary birds can TOTALLY be cuddly, and so can some parent raised birds, especially if they've chosen you!

I know OP may not even read this, but just FYI if they do (and if any guests see this).
I have to admit I wish Cotton had been parent raised!

To the OP.... Do you have a parrot now? In my (short) experience I do find the process of building trust with my untame ringneck is different than with other species I've recently met. It would be helpful to know your situation to give better advice.

In general terms, to answer your question, No. Absolutely Not. With any animal - parrot, tiger, human, fox, emu.

Fear creates submission which might temporarily result in the behavior You want, but that's dumb in addition to cruel and totally not necessary when better methods are commonly used.

Building trust DOES work to "tame" an animal.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I would not with hold food. You can associate yourself with favorite foods like millet or other yummy treats. What I did was sit and read aloud to my birds when I first brought them home and sleep in the same room (couch and cage for them) I think sleeping in the same room really helped make them feel part of the flock

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
What in the world are you talking about?! No bird will accept the treat in my hands. All they do is fly away when I approach them!
Then why don't you try being patient...

Like Heather said, unless a bird is hand-raised, they will most likely be scared of you initially.
Spend some time with them. Talk to them. Read to them. Make them feel comfortable in your presence. THEN try offering them a treat from your hand.

In January I took in a VERY skittish budgie (he was a rescue who'd been through a lot). He has gained so much confidence since coming here and formed a great bond with me and my other budgies. All it takes is a little bit of patience (and no, you should never withhold food from ANY animal).

Also, here's a reminder that it's 100% ok to ask a question like this. What's not ok is completely ignoring anybody that tries to give advice, purely because they don't have the same views as you do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts