Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Love the pictures Ann!
Is Pumpkin trying to steal the car..?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
LOLOL! I'm feeling happy for the opposite reason! It's nearly February and soon it will be March and AUTUMN!!! Yay! Feelthy steenking summer will be over for another year. Bring out the quilts and the warm socks and the hot chocolate and the homemade minestrone (not all at the same time, mind - that could be messy)!

For veggies, try planting celery and broccoli. They're most easily grown from seedlings because raising seed can be touch-and-go. The birds love all parts of both plants and the only real pest is the cabbage moth caterpillar. A light netting will keep those off. :)

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Oh yeah, you celebrate Christmas during summer, sounds so weird haha. Do you feel the same about Christmas in winter? :p

I did try broccoli last year for my tiel, he was ALL over the plants, when I let him out on the balcony with me, forget my shoulder he just went straight for the broccoli plants. Then the damn caterpillars showed up and I could not for the life of me get rid of them!
I think I still have some seeds left, if I do I'll have to keep the broccoli in my room lol.
Other veggie seeds I have are; tomatoes (won't let her eat those), bell peppers, asparagus (safe?), bok choy and spinach.

I want something for her to climb in, too. Don't know what though

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad you are seeing hints of spring and are able to grow fresh stuff for Kiwi. I have never harness-flown so cannot give any advice for Kiwi.

We have ideal weather in San Diego for growing and flying birds outside all year long. Unfortunately I have a brown thumb and am better off buying veggies from reputable sources!

I would love to harness-fly my birds, but we have high concentrations of Golden Eagles and numerous species of Hawks, not to mention huge populations of crows. It just isn't worth the risk. :(

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Oh yeah, you celebrate Christmas during summer, sounds so weird haha. Do you feel the same about Christmas in winter? :p

I did try broccoli last year for my tiel, he was ALL over the plants, when I let him out on the balcony with me, forget my shoulder he just went straight for the broccoli plants. Then the damn caterpillars showed up and I could not for the life of me get rid of them!
I think I still have some seeds left, if I do I'll have to keep the broccoli in my room lol.
Other veggie seeds I have are; tomatoes (won't let her eat those), bell peppers, asparagus (safe?), bok choy and spinach.

I want something for her to climb in, too. Don't know what though

Tomatoes are safe, in moderation, my vet said a small cherry tomato a couple times a month or so is fine. and Zilla LOVES them!

Asparagus is also fine as long as you slice the stalks to break up the stringy parts (same deal with celery)

My vet also advises against too much spinach, it interferes with calcium absorption.

Just thought I would give the advice my vet gave me...

Most Reactions