Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
So, since May I've been unemployed, unfortunately laid off due to my store closing, and they weren't able to find positions for most of us elsewhere, especially myself and fellow management. I've worked consistently for the past six years, and found myself on unemployment. Thought I'd get a break and take the summer off, and easily pick up a job in the fall.

Now I never stopped applying for jobs, though I was more selective in looking for a job I would enjoy, rather than just finding one out of necessity. Since the fall, I've applied like mad to almost every job I could find. Walmart, Target, previous jobs, everything. I've had one interview, of which I got turned down for.

I can't live off minimum wage, realistically, especially considering I was making more than double that, but because my boyfriend's mother owns the place where I live, she was willing to give me some leeway on the rent, as long as I was actively searching for a job or had a job, even if it was minimum wage, so I'm thankful for that, though I still have lots of bills to pay.

I'm just frustrated and fed up that I can't seem to find anything, I've been doing various freelancing that I can, trying to make a little cash. I've even debated starting a small business and taking out a loan, though my credit isn't the greatest.

I feel like I've got the world weighing me down right now. :(

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that [emoji20] Finding work is incredibly hard... I feel as if the days of finding reliable, constant work have passed and the expectation that once you've reached a certain point in life job security becomes guaranteed is no longer applicable. Have you tried revamping your cover letter and resume to make it seem as readable and professional as possible? Sometimes all it takes is one glance at the layout of either for an employer to simply put the page on the pile they won't look at. It sounds harsh, but generally the cards are always in the employers hands and they can be exceptionally choosy over what they wish to consider.

I also think it's hard to get hired when you're over qualified as well. Companies don't particularly like to hire individuals who have made more than their minimum wage previously, because they want to make us much as they can while giving as little back (capitalism gets my knickers in a knot!).

I really hope that eventually you can find something. Keep your head up and continue to try your best! I know the struggles you're going through. I'm a recent education graduate. I have two bachelor degrees and finding work as a substitute is incredibly hard... especially because our teaching divisions are in a deficit right now. I don't know how many times I've cried over not finding work... I've been graduated since April. I didn't have any teaching work until last month. But it did eventually pan out, and it will for you too! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
In regards to the cover letter, I write it for each application, and make sure to use terms they're looking for. Even my boyfriend is having trouble finding a job, his degree is in Media Arts/Communications, and he's had plenty of interviews. Only managed to have a few freelance gigs.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
That's so hard. I wish I could help you more! My boyfriend's dad helped me a lot in revamping my cover letter. The best advice he ever gave me is to find a way to make yourself stand out. There's a typical formula to a cover letter, and if they're reading tons a day they'll want something different and something unique about you that only you have to offer. I know it's atypical advice, but like I mentioned I was following a typical cover letter structure and was getting nothing. Once I started focused on how I was different and not exactly caring about their mission statement per se, I had way more offers. Not to say you shouldn't use important jargon, and I apologize if my advice is useless if you're already doing it.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
It's okay, I appreciate the kind words!

I'm just trying to flood my resume everywhere right now, it seems so much harder to find a job while you're unemployed versus being employed looking for a new job.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I know this isn't for everyone... But waitressing at a decent restaurant can be a great source of income and it's an industry that's always hiring because people come and go so often (between jobs, students, etc)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Keep your chin up, that break will come. Stay positive. Some decent advice above so wont re-hash. I always used to supply my CV (resume) and letter on cream coloured, good quality paper, stands out from all the white. Lots of job openings come from word of mouth so don't be down and tell everyone you meet and know that you want a job. Good luck .

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Keep your chin up, that break will come. Stay positive. Some decent advice above so wont re-hash. I always used to supply my CV (resume) and letter on cream coloured, good quality paper, stands out from all the white. Lots of job openings come from word of mouth so don't be down and tell everyone you meet and know that you want a job. Good luck .

My last job was at an office supply store, so I have a lifetime's worth of different colored resume paper, lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts