Working with a friends bird - is it feasible

ohmyhi

Sep 22, 2013
Georgia
Parrots
None
Hey!

So I’m not sure what conure (I haven’t see Jasper in almost a year and a half!) but we have a family friend who has a conure. When they first got him her husband did mountains of research and was determine to finally adopt his very own bird. Well unfortunately life has taken over and for at least 2 years now he’s been stuck with a very busy work schedule and now his wife has been the one taking care of him. I remember way back when (maybe 3-4 years ago?!?) they were having problems because he would always bite. After watching BIRDTRICKS channel on youtube I’ve been learning how to train (without any birds to train myself).

My mom ran into her the other day and she offered for us to adopt him! (oh gosh when I heard that I was excited!) but because i’m 4 hours away at college my mom said no, but I understand. She did suggest how ever that I could come by a few times a week (when I’m home for breaks and what not) and socialize him and work with him.

So long story short, has anyone every done this AND is it a good idea? My interest is to do something with birds BUT I’ve never owned my own so I figured this would be a great way for me to become more familiar with birds while helping socialize a bird in need :)

Also if anyone has any tips on anything that would be greatly appreciated!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
This is what I do to make bird money. :D Yes you can train other peoples birds but you need to make sure you include them in the training.

OP
O

ohmyhi

Sep 22, 2013
Georgia
Parrots
None
This is what I do to make bird money. :D Yes you can train other peoples birds but you need to make sure you include them in the training.

Well the problem is the owner does not have time for their bird and when I get my own place (in about a year or two) I do not mind adopting them. It would be more for me to finally work with a bird and make sure that I want to do something involving birds.

I would love to involve the owner if/when they’re available!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I would go for it. Even the birds that only get out once a week I work with look forwards to it so much. They are eager learners because they know that they have my attention.

OP
O

ohmyhi

Sep 22, 2013
Georgia
Parrots
None
I haven't bought anything from anyone and I feel like they're very good in that they have informative videos without the cost and seem to know what they're talking about. I am Very much for free flying so I really like them and I see them as professionals.

But thank you for sharing the others! The more the merrier and since I'm new to the whole thing I defiantly don't mind learning! I'll hopefully be able to work with Jasper over the Christmas break and I'll keep updates :)

Please stop using BirdTricks! They are sales people, not professional trainers!

These people are better!

GoodBirdInc & Blog
The Animal Behavior Center & Blog
Behavior Works
Karen Pryor Clicker Training (and Melinda Johnson)
Natural Encounters

OP
O

ohmyhi

Sep 22, 2013
Georgia
Parrots
None
Ok I'm glad to hear that! I haven't asked yet but sometime soon I plan on asking them if they don't mind me working with him over Christmas break! I'm excited and nervous because I'm worried they won't want me to or that it might be awkward! But I'll let you know what they say :$

I would go for it. Even the birds that only get out once a week I work with look forwards to it so much. They are eager learners because they know that they have my attention.

Most Reactions