New bird mom

Chrys

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Hello!

I'm new to this and also new to being a bird mom. I recently adopted a 1 year old male pineapple conure and was wondering what are some good training treats? I've only had him for a week and the breeder said he was hand fed but he's been biting a lot which I expected. He's definitely come around with some things like letting me lower his perch when he wants a bath but other than that he's still bites.

My other question is, he's been on a cockiteal(?) Bird seed mix and was wondering if I should switch him.? He loves his fruits and veggies too.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! What is his name?

The best way to find your birds perfect training treat is to offer a small assortment and see what they go for first! My GCC loves safflower seeds and we use these exclusively during training sessions. You can also try shelled sunflower seeds, millet spray, or really any treat you can break into small pieces. It is best to only give training treats during training sessions so they stay high value to your bird.

For diet, I would recommend switching his food gradually to a pellet instead of the seed mix. You do have to make the switch slowly because parrots will starve themselves if they don’t like the food. I switched my bird to pellets by mixing in the new food with the old over time. Most popular pellet brands are Harrison’s and Top’s. I also recommend feeding a “chop” with veggies (and I do sprouts too).

Check out the food and recipes forum for ideas:

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I just want to toss in that my conures all loved (Loved loved LOVED) Nutriberries as treats. They're essentially seeds mixed with fruit and Pellets. You can also try Avicakes. I think Avicakes are just pellets and seeds. Whenever you walk by the cage, plop a Nutriberry or two into their cage in a special treat bowl :) . From there, you can use them as training treats.

OP
C

Chrys

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! What is his name?

The best way to find your birds perfect training treat is to offer a small assortment and see what they go for first! My GCC loves safflower seeds and we use these exclusively during training sessions. You can also try shelled sunflower seeds, millet spray, or really any treat you can break into small pieces. It is best to only give training treats during training sessions so they stay high value to your bird.

For diet, I would recommend switching his food gradually to a pellet instead of the seed mix. You do have to make the switch slowly because parrots will starve themselves if they don’t like the food. I switched my bird to pellets by mixing in the new food with the old over time. Most popular pellet brands are Harrison’s and Top’s. I also recommend feeding a “chop” with veggies (and I do sprouts too).

Check out the food and recipes forum for ideas:

Thank you so much. His name is Mango

Attachments

• Snapchat-1063188949.mp4
    5.8 MB

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. MY little Amazon loves pine nuts, like from the grocery store, cut into 3rds. We use that for training treats. Re-the biting, we have seen a few conures on here, with biting issues. Some have been solved by eliminating all seeds from the diet. Seeds contain a lot of energy concentrated in small bits. Caution: never change diet abruptly on parrots, a slow gradual change is safe.

Denise1229

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
Black head caique
He is soo pretty❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts