Working with a shy, neglected Amazon

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
At the rescue there's a Yellow Nape there, Kazi, that I'm fairly certain I'm going to end up bringing home. Kazi's story is sad, he was locked in a cage for 5 years, no toys, no interaction beyond basic food and water. So Kazi picked and mutilated and came to the rescue nearly bald on his chest and wings and with a rather large chest wound from his self-mutilation. After a couple months at the rescue his downy feathers have come back and a few green ones too and you can hardly see his wound anymore. So the physical signs of his neglect are vanishing, but the emotional and mental signs are still there.

As a result Kazi is *very* shy. He's only stepped up on me once and that was to be rescued and moved back to his cage (I figured the fact he picked me over all the volunteers that day was a good sign). He usually won't take treats from my hands or eat them while I'm watching. He's not a biter, even when I've pushed him to step up he merely squawks and backs up. He will get right up in my face when the rescue is calm and I stand and talk to him for a while. He also really seems to like it when I sit near the cage and play on my phone. For some reason my smart phone interests him more than almonds! He's clearly interested in human companionship, but he's afraid.

I'm no bird behaviorist, but I've done a fair bit of work with shy, neglected dogs and I imagine the end goal is about the same - instill some confidence and learn to communicate - both of which can be accomplished by training.

My question to the forum is what is the best approach here when Kazi comes home? We also have 4 cats and 3 dogs that we'll need to introduce the bird to under extremely controlled circumstances. Kazi will have his own room for sleeping/cage living when I'm not home (which is rarely - I'm self-employed and work from home, so I'm always here!) and play stands in the various rooms of the house so he can be out with the family if he wants to be.

Should I keep Kazi in his room for the first few days/weeks until he's more confident and then introduce the dogs and cats or should I just treat him as I would if he were an established member of the house hold and bring him out (assuming I can) on his play stands so he can be in the thick of the activity of the house pretty much from the get go?

If this were a dog I'd just bring them into the house and go about my normal business, no special treatment, just love and training. Kazi's not a dog, though, and I don't want to mess his little head up anymore than his previous owners did. So any advice or suggestions you can offer would be most appreciated!

Here's a pic of the little guy, too!

Attachments

• kazi.jpg
    kazi.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 695

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Oh he is gorgeous. My heart goes out to him :) It sounds like he would have a very loving home with you and im sure with plenty of love and care, he will learn to trust again.

There are quite a few Amazon experts on here, and im sure they will be along pretty soon to give you some great advice.

Good luck with him if you decide to take him in and keep us posted:D

I almost forgot. Welcome to the Forum :D

OP
lizardsmells

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Thank you, wenz! i've already decided I want to bring Kazi home. My husband is the one last obstacle in my way! He's considering it, but I wish he'd consider faster. :p I'm tempted to burn a copy of The Trashmen's 'The Bird's the Word' and stick it in his car CD player so he hears it first thing when he leaves for work.:54:

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I'm not an expert, but I'll give it a try. You know that all animals like people are different, I would play it by ear & find out what he is comfortable with. I would lean towards leaving him in his room w/you for company & take it from there. A severe case of plucking, unusual for a amazon. Good luck w/him, he really deserves a new start.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
The most important is to introducing him to the new home, family and animals slowly. I thing he should stay in the cage for a time until you can handle him UP and DOWN so that you dont have to pursue (chace) him. Gain his trust and you will have a frind for life

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I would probably start just by sitting in the room with him a lot, mostly doing your own thing, but letting him watch. You already know he likes to watch you with your phone, so I would continue doing that. Give him coy looks with your head turned to the side and shy smiles. Try not to look him in the eye. You could also try a long, slow blink and see if he will blink back. If he does, keep repeating it for awhile every day.

Try softly singing. Of course talk to him. If you get any vocalization from him, try to imitate back to him. If they think they were understood, that seems to really motivate them to communicate with you. So even if it's a nonsense noise, repeat it back whenever you hear one. My new amazon really likes that, so even if it's a noise like "blah!" I do it back.

You could try a little peak a boo. Hide behind the couch, pop up and say "Peak!" then hide again. Or you could try hiding under a blanket and doing it. All my birds have liked that one. Don't pop up too quickly though since he's shy.

Eat in the same room when you can. You might find him joining you. It's also a good way to introduce new foods. He might start to want what you have and maybe will begin to eat it as well, or take it from your hand.

I think it also helps if they see you sleep once in awhile. So if you can take a nap in front of him, go for it. It gives them a chance to see you vulnerable and relaxed.

I think it can also help if they see you petting another animal. I noticed the second day Pete was here that he was watching me pet the cat, and watching the cat rolling around in my lap. It was only a couple hours later that he started vocalizing for me.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thank you, wenz! i've already decided I want to bring Kazi home. My husband is the one last obstacle in my way! He's considering it, but I wish he'd consider faster. :p I'm tempted to burn a copy of The Trashmen's 'The Bird's the Word' and stick it in his car CD player so he hears it first thing when he leaves for work.:54:

Ha :) Good idea. Im sure he will come round once he sees him :D

OP
lizardsmells

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
I'm not an expert, but I'll give it a try. You know that all animals like people are different, I would play it by ear & find out what he is comfortable with. I would lean towards leaving him in his room w/you for company & take it from there. A severe case of plucking, unusual for a amazon. Good luck w/him, he really deserves a new start.

I've heard that plucking is unusual for Amazons, but he's the second one we have at the rescue. We have an orange wing who's also a plucker, but she's been at the rescue for over a year now and is still picking so I'm beginning to think it may be a food allergy (she's tested negative for any parasites or fungus or anything) and she might do better on a corn-free diet. The director wants me to take her home too. I told him we had to convince my husband to let me bring one of them home first, then we could start wearing him down for number 2 ;)

OP
lizardsmells

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
I would probably start just by sitting in the room with him a lot, mostly doing your own thing, but letting him watch. You already know he likes to watch you with your phone, so I would continue doing that. Give him coy looks with your head turned to the side and shy smiles. Try not to look him in the eye. You could also try a long, slow blink and see if he will blink back. If he does, keep repeating it for awhile every day.

Try softly singing. Of course talk to him. If you get any vocalization from him, try to imitate back to him. If they think they were understood, that seems to really motivate them to communicate with you. So even if it's a nonsense noise, repeat it back whenever you hear one. My new amazon really likes that, so even if it's a noise like "blah!" I do it back.

You could try a little peak a boo. Hide behind the couch, pop up and say "Peak!" then hide again. Or you could try hiding under a blanket and doing it. All my birds have liked that one. Don't pop up too quickly though since he's shy.

Eat in the same room when you can. You might find him joining you. It's also a good way to introduce new foods. He might start to want what you have and maybe will begin to eat it as well, or take it from your hand.

I think it also helps if they see you sleep once in awhile. So if you can take a nap in front of him, go for it. It gives them a chance to see you vulnerable and relaxed.

I think it can also help if they see you petting another animal. I noticed the second day Pete was here that he was watching me pet the cat, and watching the cat rolling around in my lap. It was only a couple hours later that he started vocalizing for me.

Awesome, thank you! This is all stuff I have been doing or was thinking would be best to do anyway, so I'm glad to see I'm on the right track! I like the idea of petting another animal in front of him. My chihuahua mix would probably be perfect. She's not much larger than the bird! :D

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
So good of you to do this. I know when Henpecked comes on the forum he will be willing to help you. He is our resident Zon person. We are with you all the way here and pray this bird will learn to trust bird people. The cruel nature of some ignorant people is just beyond understanding.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Lizard. if Kazi has been alone for a while ,I'd give him a little space but still keep him close to where the action is in your house. Don't make him the center of attention but speak and interact with him several times a day.Do the type of things the other have suggested but don't forget he's been alone and that's what he's used too. Keep your interactions with him short at first and give him time to "come around" to a more normal amount of stimulus.Thanks for taking on the challenges of rehoming an older amazon with issues,and showing Kazi that not all humans are poo poo heads.

OP
lizardsmells

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
So I made the husband give me an answer and he said yes! Kazi will get to come live with us forever! I'm so excited for Kazi and the family!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That's the best news I've heard in days! Thank you for taking him and making him part of your family.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Thats brilliant News. He sounds like he will be going to a Great Family. Good Luck with him and keep us posted on his progress :)

OP
lizardsmells

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Don't worry I'll have so many questions, stories and photos for you guys you'll probably be sick to death of us both in no time at all ;)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, we won't get sick of you and your birdie...never!

I have to admit, they can be hard to photograph! I always try to get pics of them doing funny things. But, if I'm too far, the pic doesn't come out good. And if I come closer, they stop what they're doing to interact with me, lol!

Last night the zon was laying upside down on a perch and playing with a toy I got him with his feet. It was the funniest thing, but I couldn't get one without him stopping to play with me instead.

OP
lizardsmells

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Roxy, I'm really looking forward to having a parrot of my own to photograph. I take a lot of photos of the birds at the rescue and I love it! I'm a bit of a shutterbug anyway, but parrots are a 'new' subject for me. They're just wonderful to photograph. Of course I took about 400 pics to get the 20-something I actually posted to my flickr account ;) Parrots don't care if they shouldn't move at the last minute. Just like the dogs!

BeemersMomma

Dec 11, 2011
I feel so bad for this poor bird who could do that to a parrot... I am glad this baby is going to see how a bird should be treated... I am sending your baby much love

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm so happy to hear that Kazi will be coming home to you... It's such great news...

Regarding photo's... I have difficulties getting photos of Max, because he thinks the camera is a perch he has to fly to and land on, as soon as I point it towards him...

Most Reactions