Would this be possible?

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
In school we read a book called Jaguar. Its about the Amazon, and its called Jaguar because at the end they get granted money to run their Jaguar preserve for the rest of their life. To get to the Jaguar preserve, they have to ride in a boat through to Amazon river. The guy that owns the boat also owns a macaw. His macaw sits at the front of the boat and tells them when there is a log that they might hit. Also, when they dock, the macaw (named Scarlet lol) goes out into the rainforest with the other macaws then comes back to the boat.. Do you think this would be possible for a macaw to do??

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I'd never recommend it, but I suppose it is possible. There are people who have free flying birds. Chris Biro for example, look him and his birdys up. There is also a sun conure on youtube who lives inside and outside with his family without any form of cage or restraint and mingles with the wild birds.

From my own experience, as children we found a baby (Native, Australian) magpie. My stepfather felt bad for it when we came across it again and it had obviously fell or been kicked out of the next (the parents tend to do that sadly) so we took him home and raised him. He ended up being called "poopsie-pie" after pooping in our car on the way back. Being a native bird my parents let him live in and outside as he chose, I don't think he ever had a cage. He was more then capable of feeding and fending for himself, though he still loved the occasional snack from us. One day he found a mate and slowly started to drift away from us. Instead of being petted and playing with us he slowly became more wild until one day he just took off for good with his girl. It was ok though, we always expected it, after all he was a native bird and we took him home with the intention of raising him and rehabilitating him to the wild in case he was ever to return.

My parents still live in the area and see him around. He and his mate have taken to hanging around the yard of this old man near us who feeds them his scraps every day. They make him happy and they are happy birds. :) Our boy is still quite tame, having no fear of humans he can make quite a pest of himself! Luckily everyone knows who he is and doesn't think he is a pest :p

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I should also mention magpies are dead smart, and can even talk! Our boy managed to master the word "magpie!" (from my mother yelling it at him no doubt when he did something wrong) and "HARLEY! SIT DOWN!" (Harley being our wonderful old dog at the time, I think he also got this from mum)

Even funnier was when he would jump on the dogs back and ride her around yelling "magpie!" and "harley! sit down!" back at my mother. Those two were great friends. I miss them both.

He did try to say other things, but wasn't very good at them. Some people here split their tame 'pies toungs in half to help them 'talk better' but I think it's just cruel and stupid,

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
we use to have a wild black bird *mrs black bird :) was a wild bird, never handled, but she use to come down for food, as soon as i put it out and by summer the cheeky bugger would fly into the house, sit on door mat till it saw us coming or if door was shut, tap on kitchen window, so we would take food out for it

i think this was my 1st experiance of having a relationship with a bird

Most Reactions

Latest posts