Would this work as an alternative to a happy hut/sleeping tent

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Hi i'm new to this forum but really loving it so far :) . Okay so i really like the idea of these happy hut/ sleeping tents that are available for birds but i have also herd many horror stories about them such as the birds tangling their toes, feet and head in them and being hurt/killed. I have also heard of peoples birds suffocating from eating the fluff on these happy huts!. So i came up with the idea that i could make a tent like a happy hut out of untreated leather and hanging it using stainless steel chain. I thought this might work better because leather wont shred up into dangerous fibers, while being softer than wood or plastic. So i was wondering if some of the bird experts on this forum could evaluate this design for any flaws or even tell me a safe alternative to a happy hut ( I will attach a picture for what i want to do for the design). Thanks, William Kenyon. :D

This would be for my cockatiel Cleo, who is an abnormally powerfull chewer for a cockatiel!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
That could work but, you are kinda re-inventing the wheel.

Cardboard tube of the right diameter works great, free at your local newspaper printing plant.

Cat house, The carpeted tubes for cats to hide in.

Anything around the house the right size that you can modify (boxes...)

Just be careful that you dont trigger nesting.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
I would like to add to my first post

Chewing and destroying what you make for the bird is half the fun for him.

I use all manner of stuff for hiding places and sleeping spots. They get shredded and i think up something new.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
A safer roosting box would be a simple plywood box without a floor. Use a perch or two inside with no floor. No floor doesn't encourage nesting behaviors. A conure/cockatiel size box would only cost a couple of dollars to build and last for many years, even if they do chew on it.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I personally like this one

$_12.JPG

Kyo uses it, and because there is no bottom it is less likely to cause nest behaviour :) plus the fibres don't come off of it as easily as some of the other huts.

OP
WilliamKenyon

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea kyoto had with that design of hut. Also i'm in luck with that type of sleeping hut because they are sold at my local pet shop!! :D Lets hope Cleo uses it.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I have that one Kyoto... Loki won't use it. Lol.

Most Reactions