Would this work for a tiel and if it's under direct sunlight in Florida??

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
In a word , NO

1) Made with insect and rot resistant wood. Parrots chew wood
2 Made with galvanized chicken wire. Wire dipped in molten zinc. Parrots chew wire

In either case the end result - no parrots

... but these aviaries are for birds... so I assume it's bird safe?? I'm confused...

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
In a word , NO

1) Made with insect and rot resistant wood. Parrots chew wood
2 Made with galvanized chicken wire. Wire dipped in molten zinc. Parrots chew wire

In either case the end result - no parrots

Thanks Al!! I did not read the details, awesome catch of these hazards!!

Which exact bird aviary is this referring to??? As I was planning on buying one of the aviaries I posted in this thread....

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
That is a great question! You awould have to use extreme care or have birds with wings clipped to some degree.

As for your OP aviary, it looks really nice, and seems very well priced! Nearly 8' high, so check carefully for clearance!!

I'm extremely upset... or should say bummed out because HOA regulating the area I was REALLY hoping to buy a condo in does NOT allow anyone to put even a small bird cage on their balcony not even for a few minutes! HOA said I would be immediately fined!!! They also do not allow anyone to have screened in balconies. I was going to buy a condo in that community but NOT anymore more... no thanks! :(

Thankfully, I found another community and spoke to the HOA this morning. The HOA was very nice and told me it would not be a problem for me to place a large bird cage on my balcony :)

.... and they have screened in balconies for all condos in that area so I won't have to worry about accidental escapes :D

I'm going to measure the ceiling height in condo I'm seeing today to see if I could fit this on my balcony... I wish it wasn't so tall!!

https://www.wayfair.com/K9-Kennel-8-Sided-Bird-Aviary-KNPR1078.html

'Nut would love it!!

This is why I despise HOAs, Juliet. A two-edged knife, as they prevent some really egregious behaviors, but squash many reasonable activities. If you find a bird-friendly community, make sure to get a waiver in writing from an authorized entity. Know I don't have to tell you this, but it is an important concept.

Thanks for the advice. This will be my very first time ever living in an area that has HOA... so I am a little concerned! The house I currently live in has no HOA. The woman I spoke to who works in the HOA for the area I want to move into told me they allow dogs under 25 pounds and they allow cats and that they have never had any restrictions for birds. Of course it's a good idea for me to get that in writing. I know HOA is unregulated... they make up their own rules whenever they want. Kinds of makes me uncomfortable!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
It would be ideal for a bird to have a screened-in balcony! What an awesome amenity to have! Not only would it be shaded because it has a roof, but you can just open your sliding glass door or whatever leads onto the balcony and just let the birds outside! No escape threats! I actually have been thinking about doing something similar in my back yard, it is completely fenced in, which is wonderful for my 2 dogs, I just open my sliding glass door in the dining room up and let them out. But I've been thinking about screening-in my stone patio, which is right outside my sliding glass door, and already has a wooden frame going around it. The person that built my house was a landscape architect for Penn State University, so he was really into plants and gardening. This wooden frame around the patio was used to hang plants, lanterns, string lights, have vines crawling up and around it, etc., but I've actually spoken to a few outdoor living designers about screening it in securely and including a zipper door or something similar to allow the dogs out to the yard. He even discussed having it be retractable so I can still use my fire pit table and the grill on the patio when I want to. But having an apartment/condo with an entire screened balcony would be so convenient for the birds!

Just make sure that the screen material they use is bird-friendly, that it won't hurt them if they chew it or ingest it, and that they won't be able to chew through it and escape. That would be my only worry.

And I don't know what part of Florida you're in, but I lived in Charlotte, NC for a year, about 10 minutes from downtown, and the freaking humidity was the main reason I moved back to Pennsylvania, where everything costs 10 times as much and we have a horrible, long, cold, gray winter. I'd wake up and leave for work at 7:00 a.m. and would be absolutely soaked in sweat just walking to my car, right after I had just showered. Then I'd get home from work around 8:00 p.m., it would be pitch black, and I'd start dripping sweat as soon as I left the AC in the car walking back to my townhouse. I was selling cars that entire time, no management job, so I'd open a car up in the afternoon that had been sitting in a blacktop parking lot in the sun and humidity all day, and you would literally feel this huge wave of wet, scorching heat come out of the car and hit you right in the face. And I'd have to immediately jump inside it and drive it around to the front of the dealership to show a customer. Lol, I'd look normal when I left the customer to go and get the car, and when I'd get back with the car and step out of it my hair would be completely soaked, makeup running down onto my shirt, my shirt would be completely drenched, I'd look like I had just jumped in a pool with my clothes on...No thanks. I loved Charlotte a lot, the people, everyone I met, were just the nicest, kindest, most polite people in the world, everything cost half of what it costs in central PA from housing and vehicles to groceries and clothing. This is why I did an overnight trip to Raleigh-Durham to get my hand-raised baby Senegal parrot, there weren't many available up here at all (and I'd been looking for almost 6 months, had the cage and everything set up and ready for 4 months). The few that I did find closer to Pennsylvania (one breeder in New York state, one on Long Island, and one in Connecticut) cost at least double what they cost down south. His breeders were a husband and wife that had been doing it for decades and only bred a very small number of birds, one to two clutches a year of 4 different species, and they were absolutely wonderful people. So I love the south...But you can keep your humidity! I've been to southern California several times, out to the desert to a few recording studios where it was 120+ degrees, and just as you already said, that dry heat isn't at all bad. But that Florida humidity, UHG. Actually the people in Charlotte told me if I thought it was humid in Charlotte, I should go to Alabama, then I would find out what "Humid" is! Lol...

Good luck on the condo hunting, just remember to check out the screen material to make sure it's completely birdy-safe!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the dreadful humidity! I would be fresh out of the shower nice and clean... but by the time I get out of my car and walk LITERALLY 30 seconds to get inside the grocery store I would be SOAKED in SWEAT and my hair would also be glued to my head! It's not the heat but the severe HUMIDITY that is a killer! :mad: ;)

I REALLY miss California weather.

I need gills to breath in south Florida... air is so THICK with moisture... it also coats my skin and makes it clammy... and hits you in the face the second you open your front door. Yuck!

I remember when I was little I had tiels and they had access to my screened in porch. A couple of my tils would chew on the screen so that's something I will definitely need to watch out for... especially since I don't even know how I can make sure my tiel will NOT get poisoned if he lands on the screen and puts the screen in his mouth??

..... and I'm not sure how I can even check to make sure the screen is not toxic? As I know some screens are.... :(

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts