Yawning and Stretching ???

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
I know this is one of those "here's your sign" type of questions maybe, but here goes...

I've noticed my "Green Bean" does some yawning and stretching from time to time; the yawning is weird with her beak open. I guess I'm being too much of a worry person... anyone else see this with your lori?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It could be normal behavior or a sign of infection. Usually it's just normal behavior, unless it becomes excessive throughout the day, although you would probably notice other unusual behavior if your bird was sick.

There's yawning, then there is yawning and stretching neck which could be a sign of moving the contents of the crop around. Often times, if you rub their ears, it'll also induce a yawn.

I don't have a lory but most of my birds do display this behavior, particularly around nap time and sleep time.

SharlenaSharlena

May 20, 2013
Portland,OR
Parrots
Skittles - Blue Mnt. Male Lorikeet
Starburst -Blue Mnt. Female Lorikeet
Kiwi - Lutino Cockatiel Male
I know this is one of those "here's your sign" type of questions maybe, but here goes...

I've noticed my "Green Bean" does some yawning and stretching from time to time; the yawning is weird with her beak open. I guess I'm being too much of a worry person... anyone else see this with your lori?

My 2 munchkins do this a lot! I figured it was something they do when they are happy or excited, like dogs. For instance my Skittles whenever I sing him his "beautiful" song (it's as corny as it sounds) he get's so excited fluffs up and yawns! He does it every time I sing it then gives me kisses.

Starburst yawns usually in the morning when uncovering their cage when I say hello, which is usually accompanied by her stretching herself out, usually a wing and a leg at the same time. You're not alone, but I haven't ever felt it was anything to worry about! I hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts