May 10, 2016
Media
Sothern California
Parrots
Gracie- Turquoise Lovebird mutation

BoBo- Fischers Lovebird

Gracie rest in peace my love bug.

BoBo is 18 yrs and counting.
Gracie my 15 yr old lovie has just gotten done with her molting and i noticed on her rump she has two soft yellow feathers where everything else is deep blue and turquoise. She never goes outside and is not exposed to other birds and at my place of work I am the only person who has them. The only things that have changed is she got a wild streak for milk all of a sudden but we stopped her from going after my cereal and make sure she is in her cage when I have my breakfast in the mornings. I use lactose free milk and nothing with soy but I still don't know what would have caused the feather change its very odd.

Any advice would be grateful

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As long as you are not planning on 'showing' your Parrot, I would not be concern regarding this event. Although on the rare side, it is possible for a Parrot to throw an odd (different from normal) colour feather or two from time to time. This can be caused from diet -all the way to- stress and all the possible points between them. Also, some Parrots have been heavily interbred and will throw different colours as a result of the effects.

On you next scheduled visit to your Avian Vet, you can point-out your Parrots new colours. Beyond that, I would not be concerned, enjoy!

BlinkingLizard

Aug 22, 2016
My lovebird also sprouted some yellow feathers when he got older. I can't remember exactly when it was, maybe he was ten years old then? I took him to a vet with avian training, and she wasn't concerned by it. For some other issues he was having, she recommended a supplement (sunshine factor) and said it might improve the feathers, but it didn't. He still has the exact same yellow patches that weren't there for all those years before, but he's sixteen now.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I also recall reading about an elderly lovebird who developed yellow feathers with age. Maybe this is common with the species when they get older? With the poster above me, this is the third time I've heard this with elderly lovebirds... maybe it's no coincidence.

Most Reactions