Yellow Fronted Amazon "Bean"

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Remember they do belong to the hot three:cool:

Good point! A whole different animal than miss Zilla those hot 3 zons are:D Feistier and have poor manners:p

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon

Good point! A whole different animal than miss Zilla those hot 3 zons are:D Feistier and have poor manners:p

That is something to consider April & LilChodi. He is also way younger than Zilla, so I'm sure the hormones will be more of a factor for the next 20 years or so! :eek:

Zilla is getting feistier now that she is feeling better and I'm feeding her all the good stuff instead of the crap she was getting! :) She is all "bluff & growl" so far though and still hasn't hurt me. She had my Mom freaked out the other day though, Mom thought she was going to hurt me! :D I was even holding her (like the pictures of Joe holding Kiwi in both hands, no feet on me) earlier today! :D Christmas Eve morning I've had her 3 months! Seems like longer, but it's not.

If I do my research, ask questions here, pay attention to his body language, and put in the time and training I don't see why he wouldn't be a great bird. See, I'm talking myself into bringing him home even if he is one of the hot 3!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
From what it sounds like, you 2 hit it off immediately. If you've got good vibes on it, go for it! You're an excellent mom to Zilla and Bean would be very blessed to go home with you. Sure, there may be wrinkles down the road but I'm pretty sure you can handle it!

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
From what it sounds like, you 2 hit it off immediately. If you've got good vibes on it, go for it! You're an excellent mom to Zilla and Bean would be very blessed to go home with you. Sure, there may be wrinkles down the road but I'm pretty sure you can handle it!

Since you have 2 I'll sure know who to ask when I need to iron out some of those wrinkles! :D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That is something to consider April & LilChodi. He is also way younger than Zilla, so I'm sure the hormones will be more of a factor for the next 20 years or so! :eek:

Please keep in mind that male hot 3 amazons go through a period (right around this age unfortunately) where they can be extremely hormonal for extended periods of time before they start to mellow out once they hit about 12-15 (and become subsequently more mellow/have more predictable hormonal periods as time goes on). ALL male hot 3 zons should be expected to be extra aggressive during hormonal season throughout life, but those first few years they are sexually mature are the WORST. We caught Kiwi on the tail end of his 'prime' years:52: I wish someone would have warned us, because it was not expected! I guess it's like when kids become teenagers and the hormones run wild for a while before everything settles down in their body again. Not a reason not to get a bird, but definitely something to know is pretty much guaranteed to happen (severity may vary) and be prepared to work through it! The benefits of getting a bird at this age is once you've overcome that hurdle, they're pretty behaviorally set for life if you're a good owner (which no doubt you would be):)

Edit: one more thing for hormonal males and females during breeding season: cut fruit intake, up veg intake, consistent sleep routine of no more than 12 hours daylight, IGNORE any sexual displays to discourage that expression of, uh, love..., STICK TRAINING (especially for a male) for times they are to aggressive to handle (it happens, even to normally well behaved sweethearts) and provide more chewing toys to keep their minds off 'other things'.

Last edited:
OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots

Please keep in mind that male hot 3 amazons go through a period (right around this age unfortunately) where they can be extremely hormonal for extended periods of time before they start to mellow out once they hit about 12-15 (and become subsequently more mellow/have more predictable hormonal periods as time goes on). ALL male hot 3 zons should be expected to be extra aggressive during hormonal season throughout life, but those first few years they are sexually mature are the WORST. We caught Kiwi on the tail end of his 'prime' years:52: I wish someone would have warned us, because it was not expected! I guess it's like when kids become teenagers and the hormones run wild for a while before everything settles down in their body again. Not a reason not to get a bird, but definitely something to know is pretty much guaranteed to happen (severity may vary) and be prepared to work through it! The benefits of getting a bird at this age is once you've overcome that hurdle, they're pretty behaviorally set for life if you're a good owner (which no doubt you would be):)

Edit: one more thing for hormonal males and females during breeding season: cut fruit intake, up veg intake, consistent sleep routine of no more than 12 hours daylight, IGNORE any sexual displays to discourage that expression of, uh, love..., STICK TRAINING (especially for a male) for times they are to aggressive to handle (it happens, even to normally well behaved sweethearts) and provide more chewing toys to keep their minds off 'other things'.

All good points and good information, thanks April. I did survive 2 teenage boys 19 months apart! (They survived too) :eek: I know comparing parrots to teenagers is a big jump, but they were BOYS! I was out numbered for years!

I'm going to keep visiting Bean like I have been, so far he seems to be very even tempered, but I'm sure changing his environment will have an impact on him. And the hormonal season is just starting, so tomorrow he could be a whole different bird when I get there! Hopefully he will let me get a picture or two so you can see how handsome he is! :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The yellow can spread but as you can see my Bosley is 38 and it's only spreading so far. He does have patches of yellow on the back of his head though that is not yet connected to his front face.

That's another one of those things that depends on where was the bird's parents were from. The Tres Maria DYH's are the fullest Yellowheads. They evolved on an island, separate and apart from the mainland population. You don't see that many true Magna or Tres Maria's...

Magna & Tres Maria Amazons- The Feather Tree

The Tres Marias are the Mexican Island Birds. They evolved in isolation. Those suckers are different from all the rest, and they tend to be the best of the bunch.

Magnas are Mexican Coastal birds that essentially either started out as Tres Marias, but ended up migrating to the coastal gulf area, or didn't migrate to the island and stopped at the coast and evolved a little bit different color than the Tres Marias. (But those two are closely related.)

Belize, Honduras & Guatamala DYH's have yellow from their lores to about their earhole. Bean appears to be one of those. Those are his full adult colors, or close to it...

But those are the main DYH color differences.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And the hormonal season is just starting, so tomorrow he could be a whole different bird when I get there! Hopefully he will let me get a picture or two so you can see how handsome he is! :D

It's going full speed ahead in my household! :D

Most of the really aggressive amazon behaviors are territorial in nature. AT THE START OF BREEDING SEASON THE MALES ESTABLISH AND PROTECT A NESTING TERRITORY...

That's all this is...

Outside of their territory THERE IS NOTHING TO PROTECT.

So you stick handle them away from familiar surroundings, put them out on a playstand in another room, and THEY TEND TO CALM DOWN dramatically!

Do this at the onset of breeding season for a few days, and be careful of handling him/her around "the nest"...

When they are "hormonally challenged" let them be until they are calmer.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Nah!

They just have a longer breeding season, so the "hormonally challenged" period lasts longer.

There are really two zon personalities... in my opinion.

Well, three... if you include the grumpy perch potatoes... (Not shy! Want to be left ALONE!)

The shy ones, and the outgoing, excitable ones...

BOTH can be biters, but for different reasons.

The shy ones fear bite.
The excitable ones are funny, but "overload" easier.

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Well , since you brought them up,,, pics of my new Tres Marias. Ozzie and Harriet
7c7bc3fej
[/IMG]

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
They're coming up fine for me Wendy, they sure are pretty, Capt! Love their names! I try to name my pairs after couples too, Ricky + Lucy, Fred + Ethel etc. I'm hoping my YNA's are male and female. I won't know until Christmas Day though because their DNA was a present from my twin sis:xmas_lol2......... Only a couple more days!:D So excited!!!!!:jumping40

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Those two are amazing!!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes they are very beautiful. They also have a ton of personality. Being older breeder birds i doubt i'll get any babies from them but don't even plan on trying until next year. Right now they just started their 90 day quarantine. The goal is to get at least one baby to use as a future breeder as these birds are increasingly rare. It's a big price to pay as they'll forever be under my care with a small chance if any to recoup the investment. Always the optimist , maybe i'll get 2 babies and be able to trade one for another baby with another breeder to have a future pair. Best case, i'll have a breeding pair in another 10 yrs and be to the plus side of my investment in 15 yrs. Expanding /protecting the gene pool is never cheap or easy. IMO the DYHs are the most difficult to breed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts